RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Microdata markup formats

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Microdata markup formats Pat David 25 Nov 18:09
  Microdata markup formats Andrew Toskin 26 Nov 02:35
   Microdata markup formats Pat David 29 Nov 15:08
Pat David
2015-11-25 18:09:56 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Microdata markup formats

I'm in the middle of adding micordata markup the WGO and was wondering if anyone had any input concerning implementation, types, or formats.

At the moment I'm going to focus on both schema.org microdata (considering JSON-LD, but likely microdata atm) and opengraph. I can't seem to find any issues with using both at the same time. If someone knows, please chime in.

Andrew Toskin
2015-11-26 02:35:51 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Microdata markup formats

You can definitely mix and match microdata formats without causing any issues, unless maybe you accidentally put conflicting information between the different formats. Changes to metadata in one format will need to be updated in all other formats. Shouldn't be too hard to keep straight.
Microformats might be a good choice too -- http://microformats.org/wiki /Main_Page -- its markup only uses class and rel attributes, so it neatly blends in with normal HTML. And if we applied CSS based on the Microformats class attributes (which could be appropriate, for example, with the h-card class for GIMP contact information), then we could actually minimize how much extra markup the microdata adds to every page.
I like OpenGraph too, because it's the easiest to understand and implement -- just add a few tags to the document instead of trying to incorporate microdata throughout the page -- and pretty widely supported.
~Andrew
On Wed, 2015-11-25 at 18:09 +0000, Pat David wrote:

I'm in the middle of adding micordata markup the WGO and was wondering if
anyone had any input concerning implementation, types, or formats.

At the moment I'm going to focus on both schema.org microdata (considering
JSON-LD, but likely microdata atm) and opengraph.  I can't seem to find any
issues with using both at the same time.  If someone knows, please chime in.
_______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list

Pat David
2015-11-29 15:08:00 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Microdata markup formats

Thanks! I went ahead with microdata and opengraph the other evening (it was already something I was using on pixls, so it wasn't too alien for me). It seems to be ok, though I'll probably come back and consider something like JSON-LD later on. I didn't completely implement across entire pages just yet, but it's on my to-do list. :)

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 8:36 PM Andrew Toskin wrote:

You can definitely mix and match microdata formats without causing any issues, unless maybe you accidentally put conflicting information between the different formats. Changes to metadata in one format will need to be updated in all other formats. Shouldn't be too hard to keep straight.

*Microformats* might be a good choice too -- http://microformats.org/wiki/Main_Page -- its markup only uses class and rel attributes, so it neatly blends in with normal HTML. And if we applied CSS based on the Microformats class attributes (which could be appropriate, for example, with the h-card class for GIMP contact information), then we could actually minimize how much extra markup the microdata adds to every page.

I like OpenGraph too, because it's the easiest to understand and implement -- just add a few tags to the document instead of trying to incorporate microdata throughout the page -- and pretty widely supported.

~Andrew

On Wed, 2015-11-25 at 18:09 +0000, Pat David wrote:

I'm in the middle of adding micordata markup the WGO and was wondering if anyone had any input concerning implementation, types, or formats.

At the moment I'm going to focus on both schema.org

microdata (considering JSON-LD, but likely microdata atm) and opengraph. I can't seem to find any issues with using both at the same time. If someone knows, please chime in. _______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing listgimp-web-list@gnome.orghttps://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list