RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Future of Python v2 scripts

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Future of Python v2 scripts Ofnuts 25 Nov 16:21
  Future of Python v2 scripts Jehan Pagès 25 Nov 22:43
   Future of Python v2 scripts Joao S. O. Bueno 25 Nov 23:45
  Future of Python v2 scripts jcupitt@gmail.com 26 Nov 08:46
   Future of Python v2 scripts Joao S. O. Bueno 26 Nov 10:47
    Future of Python v2 scripts Simon Budig 26 Nov 10:53
     Future of Python v2 scripts Ofnuts 26 Nov 13:52
      Future of Python v2 scripts Simon Budig 26 Nov 14:15
    Future of Python v2 scripts jcupitt@gmail.com 26 Nov 11:18
Ofnuts
2015-11-25 16:21:22 UTC (over 8 years ago)

The latest Ubuntu (15;10) has dropped support for Python V2 (Python V2 is still available via a PPA). Are there any plans to support V3 in Gimp, possibly alongside V2? Maybe as a minimum look at the script's shebang to determine if it is compatible with the supported Python version?

Jehan Pagès
2015-11-25 22:43:26 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Ofnuts wrote:

The latest Ubuntu (15;10) has dropped support for Python V2 (Python V2 is still available via a PPA). Are there any plans to support V3 in Gimp, possibly alongside V2? Maybe as a minimum look at the script's shebang to determine if it is compatible with the supported Python version?

I would think we are all for it (at least I am). We'd just need some nice contributor (you?!) to make use of Python 3 scripts possible. :-)

Jehan

Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-11-25 23:45:38 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Therte is aproblem in migrating - because converting scripts to Python3 nto that much of a hasle, but current PyGIMP uses PyGTK - and _that_ is a problem - because we should them move the Python itnerface to gobject introspection - and it would imply to move the GIMP parts to use gobjetc introspection as possible as well. The problem is that GIMP's C source does not export aythign as gobject introspection.

But anyway - as a long time pythonista, I can say it is an error on the Ubuntu team not to include Python2 in the main distribution (even if manually installable) - like a BIG ERROR - and GIMP scripts will be a lesser problem.

Anyway, we should draw a "python3 plug-ins " architecture on GIMP - I've sent a couple of emails trying to gather ideas for that in the past., It is just time to take one more look and try again. I will try to send news on that over the next few days.

It is probably possible to build the interface with gobject introspection and talk to the PDB using CTYPES - which will allow to reqrite all of PyGIMP in pure Python, as we should have done a while ago.

On 25 November 2015 at 20:43, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Ofnuts wrote:

I would think we are all for it (at least I am). We'd just need some nice contributor (you?!) to make use of Python 3 scripts possible. :-)

Jehan _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

jcupitt@gmail.com
2015-11-26 08:46:37 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 25 November 2015 at 16:21, Ofnuts wrote:

The latest Ubuntu (15;10) has dropped support for Python V2 (Python V2 is still available via a PPA). Are there any plans to support V3 in Gimp,

I think they were talking about this, but it was not ready in time. 15.10 still has python2 as the default. They are now talking about making the change in 16.04 instead, but of course who knows if it will actually happen.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Python

You're absolutely correct that Gimp should be ready for this. No doubt many other distributions will also make this change.

John

Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-11-26 10:47:45 UTC (over 8 years ago)

While it is is feasible to have Python3 as the system default install, it is not practical to remove Python2 from the system. Even if it is not installed by default (which I doubt very much) it will be reachable via the default packaging system (and therefore available as a GIMP dependency).

Anyway, even if we switched today to Python3 for GIMP, it would only be available as of GIMP 2.10 - so GIMP 2.8 would still use Python2 scripts.

On 26 November 2015 at 06:46, wrote:

On 25 November 2015 at 16:21, Ofnuts wrote:

The latest Ubuntu (15;10) has dropped support for Python V2 (Python V2 is still available via a PPA). Are there any plans to support V3 in Gimp,

I think they were talking about this, but it was not ready in time. 15.10 still has python2 as the default. They are now talking about making the change in 16.04 instead, but of course who knows if it will actually happen.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Python

You're absolutely correct that Gimp should be ready for this. No doubt many other distributions will also make this change.

John _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Simon Budig
2015-11-26 10:53:19 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Joao S. O. Bueno (gwidion@gmail.com) wrote:

While it is is feasible to have Python3 as the system default install, it is not practical to remove Python2 from the system. Even if it is not installed by default (which I doubt very much) it will be reachable via the default packaging system (and therefore available as a GIMP dependency).

Anyway, even if we switched today to Python3 for GIMP, it would only be available as of GIMP 2.10 - so GIMP 2.8 would still use Python2 scripts.

It would make sense to switch to python 3 in sync with the (plugin-breaking) switch to gtk3 with the 3.0 release.

Bye, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
jcupitt@gmail.com
2015-11-26 11:18:43 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 26 November 2015 at 10:47, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Ooop, you're right, I wasn't thinking clearly. It would make it impossible to include gimp in the default install, but of course, now I remember, gimp, like most useful software, was moved off the default iso a while ago. So as you say it probably doesn't make any difference.

John

Ofnuts
2015-11-26 13:52:17 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 26/11/15 11:53, Simon Budig wrote:

It would make sense to switch to python 3 in sync with the (plugin-breaking) switch to gtk3 with the 3.0 release.

Why would gtk3 break python plug-ins? I don't see that many that come with their own UI. I would expect 2.10 and the high bit-depth to break more scripts....

Simon Budig
2015-11-26 14:15:07 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Ofnuts (ofnuts@gmx.com) wrote:

On 26/11/15 11:53, Simon Budig wrote:

Why would gtk3 break python plug-ins? I don't see that many that come with their own UI. I would expect 2.10 and the high bit-depth to break more scripts....

It breaks all C plugins, since the libraries are no longer binary-compatible.

2.10 should not break anything - we try to keep the PDB and the libgimp API backwards compatible. That is until the planned breaking for 3.0.

Bye, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/