RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Which social media sites shall we support?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Which social media sites shall we support? Andrew Toskin 18 Nov 07:09
  Which social media sites shall we support? Alexandre Prokoudine 18 Nov 08:43
   Which social media sites shall we support? Pat David 27 Nov 15:11
    Which social media sites shall we support? Michael Schumacher 29 Nov 10:58
     Which social media sites shall we support? Alex 29 Nov 12:11
      Which social media sites shall we support? Alexandre Prokoudine 29 Nov 17:18
       Which social media sites shall we support? Michael Schumacher 29 Nov 17:50
        Which social media sites shall we support? Alexandre Prokoudine 29 Nov 17:53
       Which social media sites shall we support? Michael Schumacher 29 Nov 20:08
        Which social media sites shall we support? Alexandre Prokoudine 29 Nov 21:10
Andrew Toskin
2015-11-18 07:09:16 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Let's move this topic to a separate topic.

For the Share buttons at the bottom of blog posts, it's pretty easy to just add another link, and I think the limiting factor should be more about design -- a million little icons will make the page look cluttered. A solution to this which I like is to have a single Share button, which toggles the display of all the different social media icons.

However, getting users to *subscribe* to our social media profiles means giving them content to follow -- and each extra social site makes reposting GIMP-related links more tedious. So we'll want to be strategic about which platforms we use:

* We've talked before about Twitter and Google+. * Facebook is too big to ignore, I think. * Ello has the nicest visual design of any social media site I've seen, so I personally like it a lot. It's still fairly small and new, though. * Tumblr, Deviant Art, Instagram and maybe Pinterest have large communities of artists, so there are likely many GIMP users there.

Flickr is maybe *too* focused on uploading original images to work for this sort of thing? But there is a somewhat active GIMP Users group already.

~Andrew T

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-11-18 08:43:15 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Andrew Toskin wrote:

For the Share buttons at the bottom of blog posts, it's pretty easy to just add another link, and I think the limiting factor should be more about design -- a million little icons will make the page look cluttered. A solution to this which I like is to have a single Share button, which toggles the display of all the different social media icons.

However, getting users to *subscribe* to our social media profiles means giving them content to follow -- and each extra social site makes reposting GIMP-related links more tedious. So we'll want to be strategic about which platforms we use:

* We've talked before about Twitter and Google+. * Facebook is too big to ignore, I think. * Ello has the nicest visual design of any social media site I've seen, so I personally like it a lot. It's still fairly small and new, though. * Tumblr, Deviant Art, Instagram and maybe Pinterest have large communities of artists, so there are likely many GIMP users there.

Flickr is maybe *too* focused on uploading original images to work for this sort of thing? But there is a somewhat active GIMP Users group already.

Andrew, personally I'm only prepared to support Twitter, Google+, and Facebook. I don't (and shouldn't) mind if other people represent us there, but I'd personally feel more comfortable if I knew those people enough to trust them with this task.

Alex

Pat David
2015-11-27 15:11:50 UTC (over 8 years ago)

I'm revisiting this soon, and think that, as Alex already mentioned, focusing on Twitter, G+, FB seems like a good start (a good case might be made for something like Pinterest as well, but I'll leave that for later at the moment).

I'm actually thinking of forgoing any icons and instead including them directly in the footer of the page. If you're pulling the site down and testing/building it locally I'll push a branch later with my thoughts for your feedback and input (for anyone on this list too, of course).

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:43 AM Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Andrew Toskin wrote:

Andrew, personally I'm only prepared to support Twitter, Google+, and Facebook. I don't (and shouldn't) mind if other people represent us there, but I'd personally feel more comfortable if I knew those people enough to trust them with this task.

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list

Michael Schumacher
2015-11-29 10:58:47 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 27.11.2015 16:11, Pat David wrote:

GNU Social and diaspora* come to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_social https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_(social_network)

Some GNU Social pods offer connector to Twitter, so at least posting on both microblogging sites would not be an additional effort.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Alex
2015-11-29 12:11:08 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Le 29/11/2015 11:58, Michael Schumacher a crit :

On 27.11.2015 16:11, Pat David wrote:

GNU Social and diaspora* come to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_social https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_(social_network)

Some GNU Social pods offer connector to Twitter, so at least posting on both microblogging sites would not be an additional effort.

I am personnally on Diaspora (via Framasphere.org) and GNU Social (via Quitter.se).
I find it sad that we barely see libre/opensource software communicate on those platforms, which, contrarily to Facebook, Twitter, & Google+, are truly opensource & libre projects.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-11-29 17:18:08 UTC (over 8 years ago)

29 нояб. 2015 г. 15:11 пользователь "Alex" написал:

I am personnally on Diaspora (via Framasphere.org) and GNU Social (via

Quitter.se).

I find it sad that we barely see libre/opensource software communicate on those platforms, which, contrarily to Facebook, Twitter, & Google+,

are truly

opensource & libre projects.

I'll be blunt. It would be noble to maintain all-libre profile, but is it realistic?

1. When you look at the amount of GIMP users at libre platforms and their amount at non-libre platforms, priorities line up all on their own. Here's why:

https://quitter.se/tag/gimp

7 posts in November (so far) 6 posts in October
2 posts in September
4 posts in August
1 post in July
4 posts in June
4 posts in May
8 posts in April
3 posts in March
7 posts in February
3 posts in Janurary

Since Quitter is part of a federated network (right?), 49 posts with #gimp hashtag is is all people posted on GIMP in GNU Social since January 1, 2015. On Twitter, I wouldn't even be able to know where to begin counting posts that mention GIMP -- there are just so many of them. We have over 60K subscribers on Google+, over 1.5K fiollowers on Twitter (we barely started), and 12 likes of the Facebook page since Friday night when we launched it and haven't even told anyone about it.

Even though our communication to users has improved over the past few years, there's still a popular notion that GIMP team doesn't update users frequently enough, which in some ways is actually true. So it makes sense to focus on a few channels that cover the majority of the user base and be active there rather than support every platform out there and inevitably lose focus.

2. Communication by its definition is supposed to be a mutual activity. And on social networks it's important to provide _prompt_ feedback. As far as I can tell, GNU Social has no Android apps, and the only app that Diaspora has is unmaintained (since 2012) and badly rated. Which means that e.g. in case of GNU Social you cannot reply someone promptly unless it's your job to sit in front of a browser window all day and stare at it. In comparison, yesterday a user asked a question on Facebook, and Pat and me replied instantly within a few seconds from each other.

3. In addition to being prompt, replies should be informative and correct. Which means the person who communicates with users on Diaspora or GNU Social should be close enough to the team to provide correct information. Which pretty much means being on IRC frequently enough. Here's a recent case where someone jumped on IRC, tried to figure out smth about our plans, failed to actually understand what developers told him, went back to a forum and provided an answer that completely misrepresented team's plans: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?385742-Photoshop-alternative-with-32bit-color-depth&p=2973864&viewfull=1#post2973864.

4. Whoever replies from GIMP's account should also have thick skin and be polite at all times, even if a user is trying to be hostile on purpose. Personally, I'm a rather harsh guy, but I can handle myself. Can you?

So the question of supporting more channels (libre or otherwise) than we already cover really boils down to this: do we have anyone who...

a) is present on these channels at all times to post news and provide feedback;

b) is present on #gimp at all times and has good enough English to understand what he/she is being told by developers;

c) can handle himself/herself in a difficult situation involving trolls and really unhappy users.
P.S. On a more personal note, Quitter.se says "We are a federation of microbloggers who care about ethics and solidarity and want to quit the centralised capitalist services." right on top of the front page, but doesn't even give me a way to search for messages. I've grown up in USSR and I'd like to move forward, thank you :)

Alex

Michael Schumacher
2015-11-29 17:50:00 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On 29.11.2015 18:18, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

2. Communication by its definition is supposed to be a mutual activity. And on social networks it's important to provide _prompt_ feedback. As far as I can tell, GNU Social has no Android apps,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.andstatus.app

Regards,
Michael
Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-11-29 17:53:42 UTC (over 8 years ago)

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

2. Communication by its definition is supposed to be a mutual activity. And on social networks it's important to provide _prompt_ feedback. As far as I can tell, GNU Social has no Android apps,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.andstatus.app

Thank you :)

Alex

Michael Schumacher
2015-11-29 20:08:48 UTC (over 8 years ago)

and the only app that Diaspora has is unmaintained (since 2012) and badly rated.

In active development, and (few, but) good ratings:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ar.com.tristeslostrestigres.diasporanativewebapp

Regards,
Michael
Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-11-29 21:10:26 UTC (over 8 years ago)

29 нояб. 2015 г. 23:08 пользователь "Michael Schumacher" написал:

and the only app that Diaspora has is unmaintained (since 2012) and badly rated.

In active development, and (few, but) good ratings:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ar.com.tristeslostrestigres.diasporanativewebapp

Great :) Then someone skilled and informed needs to get cracking.

Alex