RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Getting involved with the "Get Involved" web page

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Getting involved with the "Get Involved" web page Andrew Toskin 21 Oct 01:01
  Getting involved with the "Get Involved" web page Pat David 21 Oct 18:35
Andrew Toskin
2015-10-21 01:01:56 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hello! My name is Andrew Toskin. My handle on GitHub and other web platforms for developers is terrycloth.

I'd like to contribute to the GIMP documentation, including the main gimp.org website. I figure the first place I'd like to start would be clarifying *how to contribute*. The "Get Involved" page < http://www.gimp.org/develop/> does a good job of listing the varieties of ways people can contribute, but does not talk much about how to actually do it.

For example, what is the preferred workflow for making and submitting edits? I see that the gimp.org files are managed the git repository at ... Is there was a way for
people outside the development team to send pull requests, like on GitHub? mitch, on the #gimp IRC, suggested that new contributors probably have to start out by submitting patch files to the mailing list until they've proven themselves. If that's true, then I would send you a patch which adds an explanation of this process to the "Get Involved" page. Or, if there's a simpler way, let's talk about that.

What do you think?

Thanks, ~Andrew

Pat David
2015-10-21 18:35:07 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Hi Andrew!

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 12:56 PM Andrew Toskin wrote:

I'd like to contribute to the GIMP documentation, including the main gimp.org website. I figure the first place I'd like to start would be clarifying *how to contribute*. The "Get Involved" page < http://www.gimp.org/develop/> does a good job of listing the varieties of ways people can contribute, but does not talk much about how to actually do it.

Careful! I was a casual user until I mentioned I would like to help. They chained me to a wall and next thing I knew I was re-building a website. :)

For example, what is the preferred workflow for making and submitting edits? I see that the gimp.org files are managed the git repository at ... Is there was a way for
people outside the development team to send pull requests, like on GitHub? mitch, on the #gimp IRC, suggested that new contributors probably have to start out by submitting patch files to the mailing list until they've proven themselves. If that's true, then I would send you a patch which adds an explanation of this process to the "Get Involved" page. Or, if there's a simpler way, let's talk about that.

What do you think?

Yes, the preferred method until you're known and trusted is likely to get the website from git, make your proposed changes and send a patch to the mailing list.

Do note that we are in the process of migrating the site to a different back-end infrastructure - so your patch _may_ be better aimed at static.gimp.org (in the gimp-web-static branch of gimp-web). Feel free to poke me if you need further instructions (because I still haven't written the README that jimmac suggested a over a month ago).

pat