RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

What happened to Gimp?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

What happened to Gimp? Belleo 01 Oct 15:09
  What happened to Gimp? Ross Martinek 02 Oct 17:44
  What happened to Gimp? Alexandre Prokoudine 02 Oct 17:44
  What happened to Gimp? Ofnuts 02 Oct 20:07
  What happened to Gimp? Shlomi Fish 03 Oct 08:36
2015-10-01 15:09:55 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

What happened to Gimp?

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a rant. I've been on the brink of pulling all my hairs out over the last couple weeks.

So I've been a heavy gimp user for years. And I have developed some amazing graphics with this software. Loved it, preached about it and swore by it.

However, I recently purchased the latest Macbook Pro, OS Yosemite, and I feel like my design world has been shattered.

The interface of the latest GIMP installed has been anything but pleasant. It looks and functions very clunky. Everything seems so much more complicated. For example, adding text has become a pain. There is a static box that hovers over the text as you type and it is so annoying. It is painfully difficult to move the text box around to your desired location, right now I have to drag the edges out to move the text box.

To top all of this off, all my exported images come out blurry and distorted. Is there a way I can get my old gimp back??? My livelihood depends on me creating beautiful graphics and I am not ready to fork over thousands of dollars for Adobe.

Ross Martinek
2015-10-02 17:44:00 UTC (over 8 years ago)

What happened to Gimp?

Can't really help with Yosemiteappropriately named after than varmint, Yosemite Sam. The simplest solution: can you get a copy of OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and install that? You'll have to reformat a partition to do this, then you can boot to either OS version. I do all my work in 10.6.8, only using The Varmint partition when I need secure connections to the outside world.

I hope someone else has a better solution, but I know this one will work, even if it is a PITN/A/H/everywhere else to implement, as I know from experience.

Ross

On Oct 1, 2015, at 10:09 AM, Belleo wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a rant. I've been on the brink of pulling all my hairs out over the last couple weeks.

So I've been a heavy gimp user for years. And I have developed some amazing graphics with this software. Loved it, preached about it and swore by it.

However, I recently purchased the latest Macbook Pro, OS Yosemite, and I feel like my design world has been shattered.

The interface of the latest GIMP installed has been anything but pleasant. It looks and functions very clunky. Everything seems so much more complicated. For example, adding text has become a pain. There is a static box that hovers over the text as you type and it is so annoying. It is painfully difficult to move the text box around to your desired location, right now I have to drag the edges out to move the text box.

To top all of this off, all my exported images come out blurry and distorted. Is there a way I can get my old gimp back??? My livelihood depends on me creating beautiful graphics and I am not ready to fork over thousands of dollars for Adobe.

--
Belleo (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-10-02 17:44:08 UTC (over 8 years ago)

What happened to Gimp?

2 окт. 2015 г. 18:40 пользователь "Belleo" написал:

There is a static box that hovers over the text as you type and it is so annoying. It is painfully difficult to

move

the text box around to your desired location,

What is painful about using the Move tool? Doesn't it work for you?

To top all of this off, all my exported images come out blurry and

distorted.

Please post an example.

Alex

Ofnuts
2015-10-02 20:07:24 UTC (over 8 years ago)

What happened to Gimp?

On 01/10/15 17:09, Belleo wrote:

Hi everyone,

By Yosemite?

The interface of the latest GIMP installed has been anything but pleasant. It looks and functions very clunky. Everything seems so much more complicated. For example, adding text has become a pain. There is a static box that hovers over the text as you type and it is so annoying.

This is the on-canvas text editor. You eventually get used to it, because you can do things a lot faster with it once you know how to use it. In particular, you are no longer limited to one font/size/spacing per text layer.

It is painfully difficult to move the text box around to your desired location, right now I have to drag the edges out to move the text box.

For me (Linux), Alt-Control (this could be a different key combo on OSX) while in the text editor elicits the "Move" cross pointer and lets me move the text box around without leaving the text tool.

What format do you export in? What are your settings? How are you checking the images? On some sites images are rescaled on the server if they aren't the exact required size, or the HTML/CSS of the page shoehorns them to some specific size, and the on-the-fly rescaling by the browser makes them distorted and blurry. (and blur is even more noticeable if the rescaling is on a few pixels, and even more so if the image contains text....)

Shlomi Fish
2015-10-03 08:36:46 UTC (over 8 years ago)

What happened to Gimp?

Hi Belleo,

do you remember which version of GIMP you used on the previous systems you had? The latest stable GIMP has been in version 2.8.x since 2.8.0 was released around 2012
- three years ago (see https://github.com/GNOME/gimp/commits/master/NEWS ), and not too much changed in the UI there.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 17:09:55 +0200 Belleo wrote:

Hi everyone,

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
First stop for Perl beginners - http://perl-begin.org/

The three principal virtues of a programmer are Laziness, Impatience, and
Hubris.
    — http://perldoc.perl.org/perl.html

Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post - http://shlom.in/reply .