RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Mirror

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Mirror Pallissard, Matthew 01 Jun 20:01
  Mirror Dustin Hess 01 Jun 20:42
   Mirror Pallissard, Matthew 01 Jun 21:16
  Mirror Michael Schumacher 01 Jun 21:30
   Mirror Dustin Hess 02 Jun 01:40
Pallissard, Matthew
2015-06-01 20:01:11 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Mirror

Hey,
I just saw how you guys are all over the internet about your software being distributed.

Are you in need in any more mirrors (Miami, Fl United States) or are you under-utilizing your resources as is?

Matt Pallissard
Dustin Hess
2015-06-01 20:42:08 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Mirror

Always happy for more mirrors, but I can tell you first hand that my mirror (mirror.hessmo.com), ec2 east zone, gets very little traffic.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 3:29 PM Pallissard, Matthew < matthew.paul@pallissard.net> wrote:

Hey,
I just saw how you guys are all over the internet about your software being distributed.

Are you in need in any more mirrors (Miami, Fl United States) or are you under-utilizing your resources as is?

-- Matt Pallissard_______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list

Pallissard, Matthew
2015-06-01 21:16:42 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Mirror

On Mon, 2015-06-01 at 20:42 +0000, Dustin Hess wrote:

Always happy for more mirrors, but I can tell you first hand that my mirror (mirror.hessmo.com), ec2 east zone, gets very little traffic.

Hmm,
I'd hate to maintain a mirror and have it sit there nearly idle.

Matt Pallissard
Michael Schumacher
2015-06-01 21:30:32 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Mirror

On 06/01/2015 10:01 PM, Pallissard, Matthew wrote:

Hi Matthew,

Yeah. Especially when it happens in unexpected ways, from sites one has long since abandoned and considered to be in an immutable state...

We can certainly use more up-to-date mirrors, thanks.

What's currently not as good as it should be:

1. Delays...

Sometimes people who offer mirrors wait a long time before we add them. I consider this my fault, because it depends on my available time, but I also don't ask for help with that...

2. Using the mirrors, actually...

What we are doing with mirrors right now? We give them rsync access, and include them in the list of mirrors on our downloads pages.

Most mirrors, but not all of them - and unfortunately some of the currently still outdated ones - are also listed as web seeds in our torrent files, as fallback if no other seeders are available.

There's currently no real way for users to select a different mirror to download a file (other than navigating through their directory structure themselves), and rebuilding the torrent files would also have to be done manually right now.

I know that this can be solved by using tools like e.g. mirrorbrain, but I am shying away from installing any running dynamic stuff for all user accesses download.gimp.org server :)

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Dustin Hess
2015-06-02 01:40:33 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Mirror

I'd be game to participate in a dns round robin for downloads.gimp.org. Nothing dynamic having to run on your webserver, and it would automatically split the load up.

Anything I can do to help the project basically. Right now I seed the torrents as well as the web mirror, and the torrents easily have 100x as much traffic as my mirror.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 4:31 PM Michael Schumacher wrote:

On 06/01/2015 10:01 PM, Pallissard, Matthew wrote:

Hi Matthew,

Yeah. Especially when it happens in unexpected ways, from sites one has long since abandoned and considered to be in an immutable state...

We can certainly use more up-to-date mirrors, thanks.

What's currently not as good as it should be:

1. Delays...

Sometimes people who offer mirrors wait a long time before we add them. I consider this my fault, because it depends on my available time, but I also don't ask for help with that...

2. Using the mirrors, actually...

What we are doing with mirrors right now? We give them rsync access, and include them in the list of mirrors on our downloads pages.

Most mirrors, but not all of them - and unfortunately some of the currently still outdated ones - are also listed as web seeds in our torrent files, as fallback if no other seeders are available.

There's currently no real way for users to select a different mirror to download a file (other than navigating through their directory structure themselves), and rebuilding the torrent files would also have to be done manually right now.

I know that this can be solved by using tools like e.g. mirrorbrain, but I am shying away from installing any running dynamic stuff for all user accesses download.gimp.org server :)

-- Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD

_______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list