RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

rollApp GIMP usage

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

rollApp GIMP usage Brittany Powalowski 24 May 04:43
  rollApp GIMP usage Alexandre Prokoudine 26 May 21:36
   rollApp GIMP usage Jehan Pagès 27 May 11:41
    rollApp GIMP usage Alexandre Prokoudine 27 May 11:59
    rollApp GIMP usage Boudewijn Rempt 27 May 12:00
     rollApp GIMP usage Boudewijn Rempt 27 May 12:20
     rollApp GIMP usage Joao S. O. Bueno 27 May 13:17
      rollApp GIMP usage Pat David 27 May 14:09
Brittany Powalowski
2015-05-24 04:43:52 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

rollApp GIMP usage

The mobile company rollApp has made a GIMP, avaiable to mobile users(tablets, chromebooks, etc). I am unsure if you are aware of this before hand or not, but I feel one of their actions in USING the program is unjust. They will not allow a user to save their work, using your program, which is supposed to be free, without paying THEM $6.99 a month! I am very well aware there is quite possibly nothing you can do about their practices, but, I felt perhaps if it was unknown, it should be exposed, that they are trying to earn money off a program, that essentially is not theirs.

Sincerely,Ms. Powalowski

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-05-26 21:36:14 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

rollApp GIMP usage

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Brittany Powalowski wrote:

The mobile company rollApp has made a GIMP, avaiable to mobile users (tablets, chromebooks, etc). I am unsure if you are aware of this before hand or not,

We are :)

but I feel one of their actions in USING the program is unjust. They will not allow a user to save their work, using your program, which is supposed to be free, without paying THEM $6.99 a month!

Unjust? Maybe. Legit? Absolutely.

I am very well aware there is quite possibly nothing you can do about their practices, but, I felt perhaps if it was unknown, it should be exposed, that they are trying to earn money off a program, that essentially is not theirs.

There is no problem with that whatsoever. They are entitled to. Anybody, including you, is.

What _I_ personally see as a problem with rollApp is that:

1. Last time i checked (a while ago, admittedly) they were providing badly out of date copies of GIMP and Inkscape.

2. They did not adapt either of the two application to specifics of mobile devices, which means they are providing substandard service to their customers while retaining the GIMP and Inkscape branding. Now _that_ seems unjust.

Alex

Jehan Pagès
2015-05-27 11:41:32 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

rollApp GIMP usage

Hi

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:36 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Brittany Powalowski wrote:

The mobile company rollApp has made a GIMP, avaiable to mobile users (tablets, chromebooks, etc). I am unsure if you are aware of this before hand or not,

We are :)

but I feel one of their actions in USING the program is unjust. They will not allow a user to save their work, using your program, which is supposed to be free, without paying THEM $6.99 a month!

Unjust? Maybe. Legit? Absolutely.

I am very well aware there is quite possibly nothing you can do about their practices, but, I felt perhaps if it was unknown, it should be exposed, that they are trying to earn money off a program, that essentially is not theirs.

There is no problem with that whatsoever. They are entitled to. Anybody, including you, is.

What _I_ personally see as a problem with rollApp is that:

1. Last time i checked (a while ago, admittedly) they were providing badly out of date copies of GIMP and Inkscape.

2. They did not adapt either of the two application to specifics of mobile devices, which means they are providing substandard service to their customers while retaining the GIMP and Inkscape branding. Now _that_ seems unjust.

It also appears as they have code modification, for instance to forbid saving to users.
Of course this is not an interesting code change, but what may be interesting is any change they did to have GIMP build on Android (as I understand that's for Android devices). Note that I never tried to build GIMP for Android, but I imagine it may not work out of the box, in which case it means they patched it. Maybe it could be of some use? Though as you say, if they use outdated versions of GIMP, this may not be very useful (I doubt it even).

In any case, GIMP being GPL, it is their duty to provide their user the source code upon demand. It could be just a link to the official website if they had not modified it, but since they obviously did, they can't go away with it. This means that any user who actually use GIMP through their download is entitled to ask them the source code of their modifications, and they are legally not allowed to refuse it.

Maybe it could be worth asking it if you are a user of this Android version, and then send it to us.
Of course, as I said, I am absolutely not sure that it would be of any use to us, but well…

Jehan

Alex
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-05-27 11:59:55 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

rollApp GIMP usage

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Though as you say, if they use outdated versions of GIMP, this may not be very useful (I doubt it even).

I checked again yesterday, and it seems that finally they do provide an up-to-date version of GIMP. I only checked the online (not Android) version though.

Maybe it could be worth asking it if you are a user of this Android version, and then send it to us.

I'm not :)

Alex

Boudewijn Rempt
2015-05-27 12:00:27 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

rollApp GIMP usage

On Wed, 27 May 2015, Jehan Pagès wrote:

It also appears as they have code modification, for instance to forbid saving to users.

They've implemented that by running in a virtualization environment where /home is read-only, not by changing any code: I tested with krita, where you could save to /tmp, just not /home.

Of course this is not an interesting code change, but what may be interesting is any change they did to have GIMP build on Android (as I understand that's for Android devices). Note that I never tried to build GIMP for Android, but I imagine it may not work out of the box, in which case it means they patched it.

It doesn't run on Android, it's a kind of vnc in a browser that gives you a session on their servers. Performance is reasonable, but there's no wacom support, for instance.

Maybe it could be of some use? Though as you say, if they use outdated versions of GIMP, this may not be very useful (I doubt it even).

In any case, GIMP being GPL, it is their duty to provide their user the source code upon demand. It could be just a link to the official website if they had not modified it, but since they obviously did, they can't go away with it. This means that any user who actually use GIMP through their download is entitled to ask them the source code of their modifications, and they are legally not allowed to refuse it.

Only if they'd distribute gimp, which they, arguably aren't doing.

Boudewijn

Boudewijn Rempt
2015-05-27 12:20:08 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

rollApp GIMP usage

On Wed, 27 May 2015, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

On Wed, 27 May 2015, Jehan Pagès wrote:

They've implemented that by running in a virtualization environment where /home is read-only, not by changing any code: I tested with krita, where you could save to /tmp, just not /home.

Oh, I am wrong. I can get the save dialog, but they did make changes to intercept the file open dialog. I suspect that that's done at the library level, though, and in any case, since they're not distributing the software, they cannot violate the GPL, arguably.

Boudewijn

Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-05-27 13:17:00 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

rollApp GIMP usage

On 27 May 2015 at 09:00, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

Only if they'd distribute gimp, which they, arguably aren't doing.

EEek! Time to go AGPL 3.0 :-)

Pat David
2015-05-27 14:09:02 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

rollApp GIMP usage

I feel that this does open a bigger question of how best to handle trademark/use of GIMP logo and assets.

http://www.gnu.org/graphics/agnuhead.en.html

I am not sure how best to handle policing such a policy, but I agree with the one used by GNU as well as the Wikimedia Foundation:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_policy

Some way to protect the logo/name of GIMP in order to minimize confusion with shady users/distributors would help to not undermine any trust users have in the software brand.