RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Lack of accuracy

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Lack of accuracy Blaise Morot-Sir 27 Apr 09:22
  Lack of accuracy Alexandre Prokoudine 27 Apr 12:01
  Lack of accuracy Nicolas Robidoux 27 Apr 12:19
   Lack of accuracy C R 27 Apr 15:03
   Lack of accuracy Ofnuts 28 Apr 07:09
Blaise Morot-Sir
2015-04-27 09:22:11 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Lack of accuracy

Hello,

I am using exclusively Gimp since 10 years fo all my graphic needs. But I used it for a long time as a developper, and did not require a high level of result. However these last years I have much increased my need in designs and pictures.

I have donated several times to the Gimp foundation, considering that as I use it and that Gimp allows me to create great content with powerfull process, it was legit.

Now I start to be very bored by the lack of accuracy of Gimp. When I resize a calc it becomes blured, it even creates a semi-transparent line at top and left. So you can cut these lines, but you lose a pixel top and left... And about the centering of the picture, it becomes totally broken. When you rotate something, same effect of blur.

Quite shamefull, I better use a php script I have written on my personnal website to do resizes and rotates, as it gives to me a perfect result whereas Gimp don't.

There is plenty of threads on internet about why choose Photoshop or Gimp, and most of them are just boring and not interesting, speaking about the GUI or stupid things nobody really care. Every software need to be learnt.

I speak about the result I can obtain from very basic process like resize or rotate. They are unacceptable for me. Gimp can't be a professionnal option in this state.

I just worked on a picture during one month. During this month, I have seen more and more that the text in my picture is blured. This text is resized and rotated. And now I think that I can't accept this blured result. And there is no other option with Gimp. I can't have a better result as it is these basic process who blurs the text. Am I supposed to use my PHP script for that ? I have accuratly used this picture in some website, and I am sure that I will have scale issues if I resize with my script instead of gimp. My script will make it perfectly while Gimp won't. And combining these two results will break my visual result and the accuracy of my program. I think that I have not other alternative to re-work at least one week to get a professionnal result...

I know that I am speaking in the Gimp forum, and some users may flame me to say that.
As I said first, I am a Gimp user since 10 years, and I have been happy with it. But I am a professionnal, I need results. That is why I'd like to know if it is planned to perform better basic process like resize and rotate in a very near futur, or if I can't rely on Gimp for my needs. Maybe you can consider my thread as a bug report, I don't know.

I have spent much time to learn Gimp. I have enjoyed the growing results of my works and my skills. I have happily donated to Gimp. But now I may leave it. Maybe the heart broken. But I need quality results.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-04-27 12:01:21 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Lack of accuracy

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Blaise Morot-Sir wrote:

Now I start to be very bored by the lack of accuracy of Gimp. When I resize a calc it becomes blured, it even creates a semi-transparent line at top and left. So you can cut these lines, but you lose a pixel top and left... And about the centering of the picture, it becomes totally broken. When you rotate something, same effect of blur.

Hello Blaise,

What's a calc? What interpolation methods did you try to use? Details like that are important.

As for the rest of your post, GEGL has two new interpolation methods (NoHalo and LoHalo) that do a good job at downsampling, although currently they have a few issues of their own.

We do plan to improve this, but we have no estimations right now, when you should expect results.

Alex

Nicolas Robidoux
2015-04-27 12:19:46 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Lack of accuracy

By "calc", you mean a "layer mask"?

C R
2015-04-27 15:03:58 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Lack of accuracy

The reason for the blur effect on text layers is that GIMP converts vector text to raster before performing scaling and rotation operations, destroying the text layer (as a text layer). I'd agree that this makes GIMP quite a pain to use for text layers, to the point where I export backgrounds from GIMP and just use Inkscape or Scribus instead. This is not really news, though. I've seen numerous threads that address the problems with the current implementation of text layers in GIMP. Is there a plan to properly handle text and vector shape layers (ie- preserve the vector shapes and text-editing capabilities?)

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Nicolas Robidoux < nicolas.robidoux@gmail.com> wrote:

By "calc", you mean a "layer mask"? _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Ofnuts
2015-04-28 07:09:00 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Lack of accuracy

On 27/04/15 14:19, Nicolas Robidoux wrote:

By "calc", you mean a "layer mask"? _______________________________________________

In French a "calque" (*) is a "layer".

(*) "calque" is originally the word for a sheet of tracing paper.