RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Huge performance improvement idea

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Huge performance improvement idea Chandana Bandara 20 Mar 16:43
  Huge performance improvement idea Joao S. O. Bueno 20 Mar 16:55
Chandana Bandara
2015-03-20 16:43:02 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Greetings from Chandana,

I have an idea that can make a huge impact on performance increase on GIMP image manipulations. This idea occurred to me when I was working on a large banner which I had to do some experiments (Colour changes, layer movements, Font changes, etc...)

The problem was, it took so long time to do even a small change in the image. I do not have huge memory. What I thought was, what if I can 1. Get a copy of the current image (with all layer details) 2. Resize it to a smaller version
3. Do all the modifications I do in the small version 4. Apply all changes I did in the smaller version to the larger version

This way, computer resources required are much less than what needed in the original image. We need to implement a way so that GIMP will remember all the modifications we do in the small image and from a single click GIMP should be able to do it to the larger image. Another good version of this idea would be to

1. Create a small image 2. Do whatever we want in to the small image 3. From a single click, GIMP create scaled up image and apply all the things we did to the small image to the large image

Please take this idea into consideration.

Thank you, Chandana Bandara
Coolbit Software Solutions (Pvt) Ltd www.coolbitsoftware.com

Web applications | Web designing | Web hosting | Product/Commercial photography

Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-03-20 16:55:31 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On 20 March 2015 at 13:43, Chandana Bandara wrote:

Greetings from Chandana,

Hi Chandana -
welcome to this group.

Thank you for your suggestions. In fact the workflow you suggest could be made explicitly possible in the future as we move GIMP to
a non-destructive editing paradgim using GEGL

That will take a lot of time, however - as there is a huge lot of work for such fundamental changes.

However, the good news is that the underlying image processing in GIMP - GEGL - was conceived
to allow preview renderings - that would behave just like you suggest (working on the
zoomed out part of an image as if it were a smaller image, for example) - and just this week
Pippin sent an e-mail detailing how the final pieces are being put in place so that this starts working.

So - it is not so simple, or explicit for the final users as you have it in your e-mail, but it is basically the same idea - just search the list developer list archives for a message from Øyvind Kolås on March the 18th to see the details.

js ->

I have an idea that can make a huge impact on performance increase on GIMP image manipulations. This idea occurred to me when I was working on a large banner which I had to do some experiments (Colour changes, layer movements, Font changes, etc...)

The problem was, it took so long time to do even a small change in the image. I do not have huge memory. What I thought was, what if I can 1. Get a copy of the current image (with all layer details) 2. Resize it to a smaller version
3. Do all the modifications I do in the small version 4. Apply all changes I did in the smaller version to the larger version

This way, computer resources required are much less than what needed in the original image. We need to implement a way so that GIMP will remember all the modifications we do in the small image and from a single click GIMP should be able to do it to the larger image. Another good version of this idea would be to

1. Create a small image 2. Do whatever we want in to the small image 3. From a single click, GIMP create scaled up image and apply all the things we did to the small image to the large image

Please take this idea into consideration.

Thank you, Chandana Bandara
Coolbit Software Solutions (Pvt) Ltd www.coolbitsoftware.com

Web applications | Web designing | Web hosting | Product/Commercial photography
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list