RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Cage Transform Tool's transformations

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Cage Transform Tool's transformations Joseph Bupe 17 Mar 06:47
  Cage Transform Tool's transformations Alexandre Prokoudine 17 Mar 16:13
   Cage Transform Tool's transformations Joseph Bupe 17 Mar 16:47
    Cage Transform Tool's transformations Alexandre Prokoudine 17 Mar 17:10
     Cage Transform Tool's transformations Joseph Bupe 17 Mar 17:27
      Cage Transform Tool's transformations Alexandre Prokoudine 17 Mar 17:48
       Cage Transform Tool's transformations Joseph Bupe 17 Mar 17:55
        Cage Transform Tool's transformations Alexandre Prokoudine 17 Mar 18:29
         Cage Transform Tool's transformations Joseph Bupe 17 Mar 18:51
          Cage Transform Tool's transformations Elle Stone 17 Mar 21:20
           Cage Transform Tool's transformations Joao S. O. Bueno 18 Mar 16:57
Joseph Bupe
2015-03-17 06:47:10 UTC (about 9 years ago)

The Cage transform tool should transform only once with an aggregate transformation. It would make the workflow a breeze than in it's current form.

Also, the Cage transform tool's deformation applied at one point has a spill-over of its influences through the entire image pixels. The nearest points do not seem to constrain the deformation like in Bounded Biharmonic weights demo; as a result, deformation applied at one point ends up visibly transforming other parts of the image I did not want transformed. E.g trying to transform the angle of a pillar cylinder also shifts the base from its original position.

I hope something to be done about this issue.

Regards.

Joseph

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-03-17 16:13:45 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

The Cage transform tool should transform only once with an aggregate transformation. It would make the workflow a breeze than in it's current form.

Joseph, you are basically suggesting to make the tool less interactive to make it more responsive. The real solution is to just make it more responsive without losing interactivity :) When this will be done is an entirely different question. We know what needs to be done, but code contributions are required to make that happen.

Alex

Joseph Bupe
2015-03-17 16:47:43 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On 17 March 2015 at 18:13, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

Joseph, you are basically suggesting to make the tool less interactive to make it more responsive. The real solution is to just make it more responsive without losing interactivity :) When this will be done is an entirely different question. We know what needs to be done, but code contributions are required to make that happen.

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

First, I do not understand which part of my suggestion will be making the tool less interactive. All I am suggesting is to improve it so that it works as good as in the bounded beharmonic weights demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9fqm8vgdB8 . I believe our tool was designed work like bounded beharmonic weights cage tool. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly, If really "we know what needs to be done" and supposing you meant in relation to the cage transform tool, isn't it reasonable to request the author - Michael Mur for further refinement, considering the erraticness of code contributors?

Joseph

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-03-17 17:10:52 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 7:47 PM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

First, I do not understand which part of my suggestion will be making the tool less interactive. All I am suggesting is to improve it so that it works as good as in the bounded beharmonic weights demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9fqm8vgdB8 . I believe our tool was designed work like bounded beharmonic weights cage tool. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

First of all, thanks for the link. Combining Cage transform tool and N-Point transform tool would make a lot of sense, and their solution looks elegant. We don't have a skeleton-based transform tool, however, to completely redoimplement that approach. Nor do we have a developer for that, although I'd LOVE to be proven wrong :)

Note. however, that what you wrote is "The Cage transform tool should transform only once with an aggregate transformation". To me this reads like "You do a lot of tweaking and you don't see the actual change untill you explicitely say so, then we apply the accumulated transformation, and you'll sit there guessing what is it that you actually did, while rendering is ongoing". Perhaps it is not what you meant to say?

Secondly, If really "we know what needs to be done" and supposing you meant in relation to the cage transform tool, isn't it reasonable to request the author - Michael Muré for further refinement, considering the erraticness of code contributors?

It is. We did. He's busy with other things.

Alex

Joseph Bupe
2015-03-17 17:27:08 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On 17 March 2015 at 19:10, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 7:47 PM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

First, I do not understand which part of my suggestion will be making the tool less interactive. All I am suggesting is to improve it so that it

works

as good as in the bounded beharmonic weights demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9fqm8vgdB8 . I believe our tool was designed work like bounded beharmonic weights cage tool. Please, correct

me

if I am wrong.

First of all, thanks for the link. Combining Cage transform tool and N-Point transform tool would make a lot of sense, and their solution looks elegant. We don't have a skeleton-based transform tool, however, to completely redoimplement that approach. Nor do we have a developer for that, although I'd LOVE to be proven wrong :)

Yes, I am only looking at the Cage transform tool, which we already have in Gimp.

Note. however, that what you wrote is "The Cage transform tool should transform only once with an aggregate transformation". To me this reads like "You do a lot of tweaking and you don't see the actual change untill you explicitely say so, then we apply the accumulated transformation, and you'll sit there guessing what is it that you actually did, while rendering is ongoing". Perhaps it is not what you meant to say?

Yes, I meant just that: only apply accumulated transformations like the n-point deformation tool and even the unified transform tool. I do not need to be intercepted every single tweak I make. Maybe on high speed machines you do not see the transformation status between every tweak you make.

Secondly, If really "we know what needs to be done" and supposing you

meant

in relation to the cage transform tool, isn't it reasonable to request

the

author - Michael Mur for further refinement, considering the

erraticness of

code contributors?

It is. We did. He's busy with other things.

Most appreciated.

Alex
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

D/Insp. BUPE Joseph
*Data Protection Officer, INTERPOL NCB Lusaka*

*Zambia Police Service Headquarters,*
*Criminal Investigation Department,**P.O. Box 50104, Lusaka*
*Zambia*

*Officer Phone/Fax*: + 260 211 255218
Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-03-17 17:48:54 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

Yes, I meant just that: only apply accumulated transformations like the n-point deformation tool and even the unified transform tool. I do not need to be intercepted every single tweak I make. Maybe on high speed machines you do not see the transformation status between every tweak you make.

Which is exactly why I wrote that instead of disabling interim transformations, these transformations should be made faster :) In other words, fix the problem instead of working around it :)

Alex

Joseph Bupe
2015-03-17 17:55:00 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On 17 March 2015 at 19:48, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

Yes, I meant just that: only apply accumulated transformations like the n-point deformation tool and even the unified transform tool. I do not

need

to be intercepted every single tweak I make. Maybe on high speed machines you do not see the transformation status between every tweak you make.

Which is exactly why I wrote that instead of disabling interim transformations, these transformations should be made faster :) In other words, fix the problem instead of working around it :)

Alex

So, you mean to say tools like the n-point deformation have faster interim transformations between every tweak even if they are not visible?

Joseph

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-03-17 18:29:51 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

So, you mean to say tools like the n-point deformation have faster interim transformations between every tweak even if they are not visible?

Perhaps I'm using the wrong words :) No, that is not what I was saying. The NPD tool isn't very fast either.

What I am saying is that transformations that every tweak applies can be executed faster than they are now. Am I making any sense? :)

Alex

Joseph Bupe
2015-03-17 18:51:22 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On 17 March 2015 at 20:29, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

So, you mean to say tools like the n-point deformation have faster

interim

transformations between every tweak even if they are not visible?

Perhaps I'm using the wrong words :) No, that is not what I was saying. The NPD tool isn't very fast either.

What I am saying is that transformations that every tweak applies can be executed faster than they are now. Am I making any sense? :)

Alex

Ok Alex, the progress bar in the link below is what I am referring to. It appears between every tweak on the Cage transform tool.

Link: http://s4.postimg.org/qqlkwjx4t/snapshort.png

I just feel it's too disruptive because I have to halt and wait for the progress bar to run every single tweak.

Best regards.

Joseph

Elle Stone
2015-03-17 21:20:08 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On 03/17/2015 02:51 PM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

Ok Alex, the progress bar in the link below is what I am referring to. It appears between every tweak on the Cage transform tool.

I just feel it's too disruptive because I have to halt and wait for the progress bar to run every single tweak.

Everything works faster on a smaller image.

Unlike simpler edits like Curves, currently the transform tools don't save a record as a recallable transform.

Let's say you open a smaller version of the image and make the cage transform. Could the transform steps be recorded and then "replayed" on the full-size image? Or would coding something like this be just as complicated as making the transform faster in the first place?

-- Elle

Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-03-18 16:57:11 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On 17 March 2015 at 18:20, Elle Stone wrote:

On 03/17/2015 02:51 PM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

Everything works faster on a smaller image.

Unlike simpler edits like Curves, currently the transform tools don't save a record as a recallable transform.

Let's say you open a smaller version of the image and make the cage transform. Could the transform steps be recorded and then "replayed" on the full-size image? Or would coding something like this be just as complicated as making the transform faster in the first place?

Pippin wrote a great answer on the way that will be fixed, and some other improvements
that can be done GIMP side in the future.

As for the present, a workaround find by my colleague Americo Gobbo, is to turn off the visibility
os the layer to be "caged".
So: duplicate layer, hide layer, draw cage based on the duplicate, turn visibility back on, apply cage.

js ->

--
Elle

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list