RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Question about Neon Edge Detection Feature

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Question about Neon Edge Detection Feature Rosenthal, David 02 Mar 17:22
  Question about Neon Edge Detection Feature Joao S. O. Bueno 02 Mar 18:22
Rosenthal, David
2015-03-02 17:22:04 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Hi, I have been using GIMP for about 5 years and love working with it. Thank you to all who have made this wonderful tool possible. I use the edge detection filter a lot on cloud formations. Sometimes I get results so fantastic, I wonder if there is any 'intelligence' coded into the filter to create meaningful forms out of random data, or , is it really finding something that we can't see. I enclose a couple of particularly apocalyptic results.
I've tested many combinations , including applying equalization, levels, invert etc but the best results are a simple NEON edge filter with settings of 9/.3.
I am attaching the original photos and their 'neoned' results (using the Spencer Kimball plugin - which gives simiar results to directly running the Neon Edge Filter in GIMP 2.8). I reduced the size to make the overall email smaller. (All photo's by the way are unretouched, including ...1846 which seems to show a few weird things in the original photo: person sitting on cloud reading a book at about 3 o'clock along with something billowing out clouds.)
Is it just me that gets these apocalyptic images ? (not just from clouds too!)
I would be interested in any comments you may have on this Is question. Thank you very much.

*- david *

*Regards,David Rosenthal*

Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-03-02 18:22:08 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Hello David --

Thank you for your compliment and sharing your work - but these lists do not accept e-mail attachments - they are automatically removed.

You will have to find a web page and upload your work there, and share the links.

You might also be interested in sending the links to gimp-users list, so as to reach
a broader audience.

As for the filters: They are pure mathematical operations, and are actually simple in nature.
They are specific kernel convolution operators (at least most of them - maybe one or other of
GIMP's algorithms include some other step, like coloring up the results).

You can read more about this type of operation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(image_processing)

And most importantly - you can try different custom convolutions in GIMP using the generic convolution filter you can find at "Filters->Generic>Convolution Matrix"

Regards,

js

On 2 March 2015 at 14:22, Rosenthal, David wrote:

Hi, I have been using GIMP for about 5 years and love working with it. Thank you to all who have made this wonderful tool possible. I use the edge detection filter a lot on cloud formations. Sometimes I get results so fantastic, I wonder if there is any 'intelligence' coded into the filter to create meaningful forms out of random data, or , is it really finding something that we can't see. I enclose a couple of particularly apocalyptic results.
I've tested many combinations , including applying equalization, levels, invert etc but the best results are a simple NEON edge filter with settings of 9/.3.
I am attaching the original photos and their 'neoned' results (using the Spencer Kimball plugin - which gives simiar results to directly running the Neon Edge Filter in GIMP 2.8). I reduced the size to make the overall email smaller. (All photo's by the way are unretouched, including ...1846 which seems to show a few weird things in the original photo: person sitting on cloud reading a book at about 3 o'clock along with something billowing out clouds.)
Is it just me that gets these apocalyptic images ? (not just from clouds too!)
I would be interested in any comments you may have on this Is question. Thank you very much.

*- david *

*Regards,David Rosenthal* _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list