RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Layer to Image Size property

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Layer to Image Size property Joseph Bupe 22 Feb 08:24
  1424817490262.1311876800@boxbe 25 Feb 18:59
   Layer to Image Size property Joseph Bupe 25 Feb 06:47
  Layer to Image Size property Michael Schumacher 24 Feb 22:28
Joseph Bupe
2015-02-22 08:24:41 UTC (about 9 years ago)

It seems that in gimp the images created from scratch on a layer have by default the layer-to-image-size property, which makes the transform tools' operation to include the entire image size; that is if I did not specify with the select tool what I want to transform.

However, an image from clip-board pasted in using Edit>paste-as-new-layer works well with the Unified Transform Tool since the tool clips/constrains its operation within the bounds of that image (as long as the image's surrounding is empty and transparent).

My humble opinion is that images created from scratch should not have the layer-to-image-size property so that they can work well with the transform tools on the fly, but also intelligently allow other tools (brush, smudge) and filters (drop shadow) to work on them without necessarily having to convert layers to image size.

The other option would be to allow the Unified Transform Tool to be used also for selecting (like the rectangle select tool) the image(s) to be transformed.

For your consideration.

Joseph

Michael Schumacher
2015-02-24 22:28:09 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On 02/22/2015 09:24 AM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

It seems that in gimp the images created from scratch on a layer have by default the layer-to-image-size property, which makes the transform tools' operation to include the entire image size; that is if I did not specify with the select tool what I want to transform.

Newly created layers are as large as the image by default.

However, an image from clip-board pasted in using Edit>paste-as-new-layer works well with the Unified Transform Tool since the tool clips/constrains its operation within the bounds of that image (as long as the image's surrounding is empty and transparent).

Pasted content retains its original size.

My humble opinion is that images created from scratch should not have the layer-to-image-size property so that they can work well with the transform tools on the fly, but also intelligently allow other tools (brush, smudge) and filters (drop shadow) to work on them without necessarily having to convert layers to image size.

This would be what the enhancement request https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93639 is about - dynamically adjusting layer boundaries.

The other option would be to allow the Unified Transform Tool to be used also for selecting (like the rectangle select tool) the image(s) to be transformed.

What doesn't work right now?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Joseph Bupe
2015-02-25 06:47:03 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Hi,

The newly created layers shouldn't be as large as the image by default.

The problem is not necessarily with the size of the layer but more with the behaviour of its content when working with filters and transform tools.

Here is an example of what I am trying to say:

1. Draw a rectangle and fill it with any colour; 2. Pick a transform tool and click the layer with the rectangle shape. 3. The entire image is selected ready to be transformed (as in image 1 from the link below)

My expectation is that the transform tool will select only the content I want to transform straightaway, as in image 2 from the following link without the user

http://s27.postimg.org/gbn6y6e37/transform_tool1.png

Also, I do not need to care about resizing the layer to the size of the image if I want to add filter effects to the pasted layer content, e.g. drop shadow. The Layer/content boundary should intelligently resize itself to accommodate any filter effects.

This is how layer content is handled in Photoshop, Krita and Inkscape.

Regards.

Joseph

On 25 February 2015 at 00:28, Michael Schumacher wrote:

[image: Boxbe] You chose to allow Michael Schumacher (schumaml@gmx.de) even though this message failed authentication
Click to disallow

This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (schumaml@gmx.de) Add cleanup rule

| More info

On 02/22/2015 09:24 AM, Joseph Bupe wrote:

It seems that in gimp the images created from scratch on a layer have by default the layer-to-image-size property, which makes the transform

tools'

operation to include the entire image size; that is if I did not specify with the select tool what I want to transform.

Newly created layers are as large as the image by default.

However, an image from clip-board pasted in using Edit>paste-as-new-layer works well with the Unified Transform Tool since the tool

clips/constrains

its operation within the bounds of that image (as long as the image's surrounding is empty and transparent).

Pasted content retains its original size.

My humble opinion is that images created from scratch should not have the layer-to-image-size property so that they can work well with the

transform

tools on the fly, but also intelligently allow other tools (brush,

smudge)

and filters (drop shadow) to work on them without necessarily having to convert layers to image size.

This would be what the enhancement request https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93639 is about - dynamically adjusting layer boundaries.

What doesn't work right now?

-- Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

D/Insp. BUPE Joseph
*Data Protection Officer, INTERPOL NCB Lusaka*

*Zambia Police Service Headquarters,*
*Criminal Investigation Department,**P.O. Box 50104, Lusaka*
*Zambia*

*Officer Phone/Fax*: + 260 211 255218