RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Exporting Keyboard shortcuts (key bindings/accelerators)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Exporting Keyboard shortcuts (key bindings/accelerators) Seldom Needy 11 Feb 21:25
  Exporting Keyboard shortcuts (key bindings/accelerators) Michael Schumacher 11 Feb 22:11
   Exporting Keyboard shortcuts (key bindings/accelerators) Ofnuts 14 Feb 00:27
Seldom Needy
2015-02-11 21:25:42 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Chris Mohler wrote:

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Seldom Needy wrote:

I was wondering about the operation of importing and exporting keyboard shortcuts for GIMP. In

See the note at the very bottom of this page: http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-shortcuts.html

Basically, you should be able to copy the menurc file from one machine to the other.

Chris

From the linked article:

"Custom Keyboard shortcuts are stored in one of Gimp's hidden directory (/home/[username]/.gimp-2.8/menurc) under Linux, and C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\.gimp-2.8\menurc under Windows XP. It is a simple text file that you can transport from one computer to another."

As stated, I was looking to port keyboard customizations in Windows 7 and 8, which are not explicitly documented (unlike XP). But, having searched my hard drive with the hint, I found a menurc in the location C:\Program Files\GIMP 2_8\etc\gimp\2.0\menurc

I imagine it's the same arrangement, barring that the paths are a bit different. I will go ahead and test that theory tomorrow. Especially if it works, the gimp.org docs should be updated to reflect that information after such time. I'm not sure if the docs are maintained community wiki-style or not, I can at least put in a bug-report about it if need be.

Thanks.

Michael Schumacher
2015-02-11 22:11:06 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On 02/11/2015 10:25 PM, Seldom Needy wrote:

I was wondering about the operation of importing and exporting keyboard shortcuts for GIMP. In

See the note at the very bottom of this page: http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-shortcuts.html

Basically, you should be able to copy the menurc file from one machine to the other.

Chris

From the linked article:

"Custom Keyboard shortcuts are stored in one of Gimp's hidden directory (/home/[username]/.gimp-2.8/menurc) under Linux, and C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\.gimp-2.8\menurc under Windows XP. It is a simple text file that you can transport from one computer to another."

As stated, I was looking to port keyboard customizations in Windows 7 and 8, which are not explicitly documented (unlike XP). But, having searched my hard drive with the hint, I found a menurc in the location C:\Program Files\GIMP 2_8\etc\gimp\2.0\menurc

I imagine it's the same arrangement, barring that the paths are a bit different. I will go ahead and test that theory tomorrow.

No. What the docs try to tell you, but fail - due to changes in the windows user directory locations - is that this file is located in your personal GIMP user profile directly, which is located in your Windows user profile.

A better approach for the docs - and other places that try to tell people how to locate their personal GIMP directories - would be to not mention *any* directories, but show users how to find out that location themselves:

1. Go to the Folders section in the GIMP preferences 2. See two folders there (in the default settings)

Example: http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-pimping.html#gimp-prefs-folders-data

One of them refers to a directory located where GIMP is installed, one refers to the corresponding directory in the users profile folder.

Browse them in a file manager - for example Windows Explorer - and have a look at a few of the files in them - for example with a good text editor (*not* Notepad) to get a feel for what is located there. The time spent on this is well invested.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Ofnuts
2015-02-14 00:27:50 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On 11/02/15 23:11, Michael Schumacher wrote:

On 02/11/2015 10:25 PM, Seldom Needy wrote:

Chris

From the linked article:

I imagine it's the same arrangement, barring that the paths are a bit different. I will go ahead and test that theory tomorrow.

No. What the docs try to tell you, but fail - due to changes in the windows user directory locations - is that this file is located in your personal GIMP user profile directly, which is located in your Windows user profile.

A better approach for the docs - and other places that try to tell people how to locate their personal GIMP directories - would be to not mention *any* directories, but show users how to find out that location themselves:

1. Go to the Folders section in the GIMP preferences 2. See two folders there (in the default settings)

Example: http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-pimping.html#gimp-prefs-folders-data

One of them refers to a directory located where GIMP is installed, one refers to the corresponding directory in the users profile folder.

Browse them in a file manager - for example Windows Explorer - and have a look at a few of the files in them - for example with a good text editor (*not* Notepad) to get a feel for what is located there. The time spent on this is well invested.

An even better approach for both the docs and the applications itself is to have:

1) some place in the Preferences (top of "Folders?") that explicitly states where the profile is.
2) maybe even have a button that opens it using the platform's file explorer 3) likewise the user's folders for the various add-ons could be enhanced with an "open explorer here" button. Then instructions become "click button, drag&drop files".