RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

variable value bar vertical height

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

variable value bar vertical height Marco Ciampa 31 Jan 07:18
  variable value bar vertical height Simon Budig 31 Jan 12:14
   variable value bar vertical height Marco Ciampa 31 Jan 12:32
   variable value bar vertical height Alexandre Prokoudine 31 Jan 12:43
Marco Ciampa
2015-01-31 07:18:30 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Hi all,
am I the only one that finds that the variable value bars, those used for instance in the tool options like Opacity, Size, Angle, Strength, etc. so big vertically?
The mode selector, at the top of the same pane, is vertically smaller... Is it just my display (I use Ubuntu 14.04)? Is there a technical reason for it?
Is it possible to change that value? In a crammed display they takes so much space...

I think that 2 or 3 less pixels over and under the text could improve greatily the appearance of the tool options.

Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

+--------------------+
| Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow   #364 |
+--------------------+
Simon Budig
2015-01-31 12:14:46 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Marco Ciampa (ciampix@libero.it) wrote:

am I the only one that finds that the variable value bars, those used for instance in the tool options like Opacity, Size, Angle, Strength, etc. so big vertically?

You might be missing that their behaviour is different for the top and bottom halves:

The top part allows coarse adjustment, the bottom part allows finetuning.

They need a certain height so that you can reliably hit the different areas.

Bye,
Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
Marco Ciampa
2015-01-31 12:32:38 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 01:14:46PM +0100, Simon Budig wrote:

You might be missing that their behaviour is different for the top and bottom halves:

The top part allows coarse adjustment, the bottom part allows finetuning.

They need a certain height so that you can reliably hit the different areas.

Well the cursor change in shape so I think that there is plenty of space in those without possibility of mistaking the rate.

Anyway I may suggest a better handling? Why not use all the area for the coarse setting and changing to fine setting via a key modifier like Shift that is not used in that context? You can even think of a different modifier like Ctrl for fixed 10 steps settings, with the cursor shape change to signal this behaviour of corse...

What do you think about it?

Marco Ciampa

I know a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

+--------------------+
| Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow   #364 |
+--------------------+
Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-01-31 12:43:12 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Simon Budig wrote:

Well, I'm not missing this, and I still think it's too high. Some of our dialogs weren't compact at any rate. With this new widget they are now insanely large. And don't get me started on the height of any brush-based tool :)

Alex