RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Proposal: gimp-web-revamp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

18 of 18 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Cristobal 05 Jan 15:25
  Proposal: gimp-web-revamp SorinN 05 Jan 15:39
   Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Michael Schumacher 05 Jan 15:54
  Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Alexandre Prokoudine 05 Jan 15:44
  Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Pat David 05 Jan 15:50
   Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Michael Schumacher 05 Jan 16:10
   Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Alexandre Prokoudine 05 Jan 16:15
    Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Cristobal 05 Jan 17:56
     Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Cristobal 06 Jan 16:46
      Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Samuel Ricks 06 Jan 18:03
       Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Pat David 06 Jan 23:13
        Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Cristobal 07 Jan 13:24
         Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Pat David 07 Jan 15:17
         Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Alexandre Prokoudine 10 Mar 11:54
          Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Pat David 02 Apr 15:11
           Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Pat David 29 May 22:10
      Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Michael Schumacher 06 Jan 18:33
       Proposal: gimp-web-revamp Pat David 06 Jan 18:53
Cristobal
2015-01-05 15:25:43 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hello everyone,

I'm Cristobal, a computer science student at Universidad de Santiago de Chile and I've been using GIMP for many years (mainly for web design). I would like to contribute to the GIMP project in this area and I've prepared a proposal aiming to revamp the current website, which I think needs a refresh. But my proposal doesn't only suggest a new HTML design, but an underlying application platform (git+gitolite+git submodules+static website generator) and content formatting (markdown). You can read the proposal in the following link. It should be about ~20 min. of reading.

https://leivaburto.github.io/gimp-web-revamp/

In the proposal you'll find all the steps I followed to make things work on a CentOS machine and Github, together with links to working platforms, four links and screenshots to design proposals (A, B, C, D), and a link to my CV/Resume so you can get to know me a little bit.

I'm aware that GIMP has participated in GSoC in the past years, and I believe that this proposal could fit as a GSoC project for this year, if you want to. I know there are still a couple of months for submitting applications, but we could use this time to discuss the proposal.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best, Cristobal
GPG: 2ACA 8DD4 444E 358F B72E 8C3C 7196 690D 9E03 CDFD

SorinN
2015-01-05 15:39:03 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Interesting proposal - but why this construction on top of a revision control system .. ?

2015-01-05 17:25 GMT+02:00 Cristobal :

Hello everyone,

I'm Cristobal, a computer science student at Universidad de Santiago de Chile and I've been using GIMP for many years (mainly for web design). I would like to contribute to the GIMP project in this area and I've prepared a proposal aiming to revamp the current website, which I think needs a refresh. But my proposal doesn't only suggest a new HTML design, but an underlying application platform (git+gitolite+git submodules+static website generator) and content formatting (markdown). You can read the proposal in the following link. It should be about ~20 min. of reading.

In the proposal you'll find all the steps I followed to make things work on a CentOS machine and Github, together with links to working platforms, four links and screenshots to design proposals (A, B, C, D), and a link to my CV/Resume so you can get to know me a little bit.

I'm aware that GIMP has participated in GSoC in the past years, and I believe that this proposal could fit as a GSoC project for this year, if you want to. I know there are still a couple of months for submitting applications, but we could use this time to discuss the proposal.

Best, Cristobal

_______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-web-list

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-01-05 15:44:15 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Cristobal wrote:

Hello everyone,

"At some point, it is supposed to be a contest for designing the homepage, which means the gimp-web team is open to contributions from the community (Prokoudine)."

I would really, really avoid design contests.

The rest of the proposal look very good to me :)

Alex

Pat David
2015-01-05 15:50:46 UTC (over 9 years ago)

I, for one, appreciate the effort to sit down and document these ideas. Particularly to having a rudimentary look at the google trends data.

I think it's a great start, but there are some questions we should probably address before getting too far down the design hole.

1. Can we extrapolate (anec-data is fine here I would think), what the top three main purposes a person might land on the GIMP page for? For instance, if I were to guess it would probably be download, tutorials, help. Whatever the consensus may be, I would focus the design on answering those top three reasons as prominently (and clearly) as possible. I feel this should be the first question we should be asking ourselves (and answering).

2. The current site is already a static generated site mostly (entirely? still not sure how the news articles are created). I don't mind moving to other systems (I am building http://pixls.us in a similar vein using node.js and metalsmith personally), but is it an option that makes the most sense? I'm just asking - my opinion is that it does make sense, and that using markdown/YAML-front-matter is fine. At the moment, contributing to the site is a rather messy affair for anyone not comfortable with the toolchain and environment (but once they are, it's a very simple effort and not significantly harder than using an intermediate markup language).

In fact, a sub-question to this point would be: is there a method we can achieve our goals while including a simple means for others to contribute? I'm a fan of lowering the bar for contributing (technically), to help increase possible throughput of good material.

3. Should this discussion also include possible migration and management questions surrounding the registry? It's a problem that will need to be addressed at some point, as the current infrastructure is a bit creaky.

Your last point is well made about an in-depth analysis being needed. Is the ML the best place to kickstart the discussions and notes, or should we open a page on the wiki? (I'm leaning towards prokoudine here for guidance).

I have more thoughts, but am currently sifting through a mountain of correspondance, so apologies for being short. :)

pat

On Mon Jan 05 2015 at 9:26:37 AM Cristobal wrote:

Hello everyone,

Best, Cristobal

gimp-web-list@gnome.org

Michael Schumacher
2015-01-05 15:54:30 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Am 05.01.2015 um 16:39 schrieb SorinN:

Interesting proposal - but why this construction on top of a revision control system .. ?

Because this works, and doesn't need any complex UI and functionality in the website which will only re-implement features that are available in text editors, IDEs and version control systems.

BTW, I'm not sure if adding gitolite is really necessary - or even possible; we are using the GNOME Git repository, and they are in charge of access control there.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Michael Schumacher
2015-01-05 16:10:31 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Am 05.01.2015 um 16:50 schrieb Pat David:

2. The current site is already a static generated site mostly (entirely? still not sure how the news articles are created).

This is the only time when a python script is invoked by a web access - but only when news are actually created or changed. It generates static file that is included in the index.html (so yes, we use SSI).

This was also a major pain when we moved to the SELinux environment of the current server - it is amazing how much has to be adjusted to allow for such little tasks.

Regards,
Michael
Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-01-05 16:15:48 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Pat David wrote:

1. Can we extrapolate (anec-data is fine here I would think), what the top three main purposes a person might land on the GIMP page for?

Since I do have Google Analytics on gimp.ru, here's the data for the last 30 days, sorted by % of session exit pages, minus the main page:

1) GIMP downloads 2) GIMP help downloads
3) GIMP add-ons downloads

If you roll them into one, that would become

1) Downloads 2) Articles/Tutorials
3) News

The forum is the 4th one.

Of course, the two websites are structured differently, so there's only so much extrapolation one could make.

2. The current site is already a static generated site mostly (entirely? still not sure how the news articles are created). I don't mind moving to other systems (I am building http://pixls.us in a similar vein using node.js and metalsmith personally), but is it an option that makes the most sense?

Realistically speaking, there are mostly two people updating the website: Michael Schumacher and me. As far as I can tell, both of us are fine with static page generators. For me, it might even improve collaboration on news, because right now I typically post stuff in gists and share on IRC before publishing. Although I won't be around forever, and this has to be considered as well.

We _might_ need to take into consideration opinions of people who want to work on localized versions of the website. However, having been there with inkscape.org, I'm not exactly optimistic about sustainability of localized websites. But that's just my reality-driven opinion, nothing more.

3. Should this discussion also include possible migration and management questions surrounding the registry? It's a problem that will need to be addressed at some point, as the current infrastructure is a bit creaky.

The problem with the registry is that whoever maintains is, to the best of my knowledge, never in direct contact with the core team. And the core team never has time to take care of the registry.

If we don't have the manpower to provide QA and security check for addons, we can't take the registry over. Again, just my opinion.

Alex

Cristobal
2015-01-05 17:56:05 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Thank you all for your feedback! Regarding your questions:

1. Can we extrapolate (anec-data is fine here I would think), what the top three main purposes a person might land on the GIMP page for? For instance, if I were to guess it would probably be download, tutorials, help. Whatever the consensus may be, I would focus the design on answering those top three reasons as prominently (and clearly) as possible. I feel this should be the first question we should be asking ourselves (and answering).

I agree. If we look at Google Trends and the Google Analytics that Alexandre mentioned, we can get an idea that users look for downloads in the first place and we should aim to have a "Landing page" for GIMP. If we can get more info from other "analytics" sources, that will help us even more.

2. The current site is already a static generated site mostly (entirely? still not sure how the news articles are created). I don't mind moving to other systems (I am building http://pixls.us in a similar vein using node.js and metalsmith personally), but is it an option that makes the most sense? I'm just asking - my opinion is that it does make sense, and that using markdown/YAML-front-matter is fine. At the moment, contributing to the site is a rather messy affair for anyone not comfortable with the toolchain and environment (but once they are, it's a very simple effort and not significantly harder than using an intermediate markup language).

Yes. I actually cloned the current repository (https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp-web) and took a look at it. As far as I understand the content on the website is done with HTRW files, which are HTML files with includes inside of them that are processed by Apache (kind of like a templating system). I think the "problem" in there is that you have to mix content with HTML syntax and includes. Maybe for people working on the main website and news that could be fine, but non-programming people could think of that as a messy process (when writing tuts, or docs). That being said, I think a good way of attracting contributors is to get things simple, and ask for people to just write content (markdown). What I'm suggesting here is an improvement rather than a total revamp, as the current method of contributing to the website is similar.

In fact, a sub-question to this point would be: is there a method we can achieve our goals while including a simple means for others to contribute? I'm a fan of lowering the bar for contributing (technically), to help increase possible throughput of good material.

I agree. That should be the final purpose of this. First, we simplify the process by letting users focus only on content, and further work could involve developing (or extending) apps so people can't forget about explicitly cloning and pushing to git repositories and at the same time having a secure and reliable platform (git over SSH or HTTPS will give us secure channels of communication, and git itself brings integrity and version control of the content).

Keeping thins separated should help in case of migration, as the content would be in standard format (markdown) and the design would just be HTML files. As for the website content generator, we could even change the application (jekyll, pelican, etc) without problems. Regarding management, at first it indeed would be a manual process (asking for pub keys) but as you said, we should address the improvement of such a task in the near future. I imagine something like Github, when you go to your account settings and they tell you how to generate and upload your SSH key.

Because this works, and doesn't need any complex UI and functionality in the website which will only re-implement features that are available in text editors, IDEs and version control systems.

Exactly. In fact, my proposal was based on the current workflow of the GIMP website. I saw that you handle a Git repository, with scripts to generate the static content, and I tried to make a proposal as close to the current workflow in order to have something that could actually be implemented. Perhaps the title of the proposal is kind of misleading (revamp).

BTW, I'm not sure if adding gitolite is really necessary - or even possible; we are using the GNOME Git repository, and they are in charge of access control there.

Well, I thought you had your server in your own. In that case, we could think of keeping the current gimp-web repository in the GNOME server, but adding submodules from Github. That means we could create (free) repositories like gimp-tuts, gimp-news, gimp-docs, etc. on Github and let all of the authorization and user management be handled by them. Thus, the workflow for news, tuts, docs, is open and public in the github servers and the critical "merging" of all of that will be on GNOME server. Using github repos could also help to attract collaborators, as they are in a continuous work of developing friendly tools for collaboration (like the text editor Atom).

If we don't have the manpower to provide QA and security check for addons, we can't take the registry over. Again, just my opinion.

We could let Github take care of registry and authorization :)

The rest of the proposal look very good to me

Thanks! I'm very motivated with this idea so I appreciate all of the feedback.

--

Cristobal
2015-01-06 16:46:55 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 05/01/15 14:56, Cristobal wrote:

So I talked with some of you on IRC yesterday and the idea is to keep using Gnome servers and Gitolite would not be a necessary step for us.

What do you guys think of the rest of the proposal, specifically about using Jekyll (or Pelican, or some other app) and reorganize the website structure in order to separate content from design? What do you think of the designs proposals (A, B, C, D)?

Do you want to give this proposal a try (after a proper discussion)?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best, Cristobal

Samuel Ricks
2015-01-06 18:03:46 UTC (over 9 years ago)

I'm not a designer - but I do think the site could be really improved with some more content and information. I would be happy to help with Javascript, PHP, or anything else that needs doing. Samuel

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Cristobal wrote:

So I talked with some of you on IRC yesterday and the idea is to keep using Gnome servers and Gitolite would not be a necessary step for us.

What do you guys think of the rest of the proposal, specifically about using Jekyll (or Pelican, or some other app) and reorganize the website structure in order to separate content from design? What do you think of the designs proposals (A, B, C, D)?

Best, Cristobal

gimp-web-list@gnome.org

Michael Schumacher
2015-01-06 18:33:48 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 06.01.2015 17:46, Cristobal wrote:

What do you guys think of the rest of the proposal, specifically about using Jekyll (or Pelican, or some other app)

I would prefer if we can use something that works in an Apache+Python environment. This would keep changes to the current server low.

Regards,
Michael
Pat David
2015-01-06 18:53:16 UTC (over 9 years ago)

There is Pelican (http://docs.getpelican.com/en/3.5.0/) as an option for an SSG using Python.

On Tue Jan 06 2015 at 12:34:26 PM Michael Schumacher wrote:

On 06.01.2015 17:46, Cristobal wrote:

What do you guys think of the rest of the proposal, specifically about using Jekyll (or Pelican, or some other app)

I would prefer if we can use something that works in an Apache+Python environment. This would keep changes to the current server low.

-- Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD _______________________________________________ gimp-web-list mailing list
gimp-web-list@gnome.org

Pat David
2015-01-06 23:13:35 UTC (over 9 years ago)

I'm available to help where needed as well. Might want to keep things like the product vision (
http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/GIMP_UI_Redesign#product_vision) in mind as well.

On Tue Jan 06 2015 at 5:03:49 PM Samuel Ricks wrote:

I'm not a designer - but I do think the site could be really improved with some more content and information. I would be happy to help with Javascript, PHP, or anything else that needs doing. Samuel

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Cristobal wrote:

BTW, I'm not sure if adding gitolite is really necessary - or even possible; we are using the GNOME Git repository, and they are in

charge

of access control there.

Best, Cristobal

gimp-web-list@gnome.org

gimp-web-list@gnome.org

Cristobal
2015-01-07 13:24:52 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 06/01/15 20:13, Pat David wrote:

I'm available to help where needed as well. Might want to keep things like the product vision (

Awesome, thanks! In the next few days I'll update the proposal considering Pelican (in Python) + Apache and I'll post it back to the list. I'll also consider the product vision to update the design.

Thanks! For now, all I'm using is HTML+CSS and a little bit of JS (more specifically, jQuery). I'm also using dummy content on the design proposal but I'll try to update it following the product vision.

Best, Cristobal

Pat David
2015-01-07 15:17:03 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Also, just a side note to consider, but I would personally keep an eye on compatibility. There are GIMP users working across a large range of OS and browsers, and you can't assume that they will all have modern browsers/javascript/GUI (seriously, the current page works fine in lynx).

So, semantic, valid xhtml and designing for least capability first, etc... (don't rely on javascript or jquery being available).

On Wed Jan 07 2015 at 7:25:36 AM Cristobal wrote:

I'm available to help where needed as well. Might want to keep things

the product vision (
http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/GIMP_UI_Redesign#product_vision) in mind

as

well.

Awesome, thanks! In the next few days I'll update the proposal considering Pelican (in Python) + Apache and I'll post it back to the list. I'll also consider the product vision to update the design.

I'm not a designer - but I do think the site could be really improved

with

some more content and information. I would be happy to help with Javascript, PHP, or anything else that needs doing. Samuel

Thanks! For now, all I'm using is HTML+CSS and a little bit of JS (more specifically, jQuery). I'm also using dummy content on the design proposal but I'll try to update it following the product vision.

Best, Cristobal

gimp-web-list@gnome.org

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-03-10 11:54:09 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Cristobal wrote:

Hi Cristobal,

Any news? Do you need assistance with something?

Alex

Pat David
2015-04-02 15:11:37 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Ok, so I have some thoughts on this if you all don't mind indulging me...

I love the idea of a site re-design for a number of reasons (better organization of content, modern look, better usability for access to important information quickly and efficiently for users, lowering the barrier to entry for contributions, etc...).

Having recently spent all my free time building out pixls.us for fun, I'm still neck deep in this stuff so it's fun to think about.

I feel it would be beneficial to separate content from presentation. This allows the same content to be massaged into different forms later on (hopefully relatively easily). Using something like Markdown for page data is a very nice way to significantly lower the barrier for others to contribute (but is by no means a guarantee that they will - just that it would be a lot easier than it is currently).

I also tend to like the static site generation path. My personal main consideration for a page/site is to make it as lightweight, fast, and as useful as possible. This generally also has the benefit of reducing vectors for possible malicious acts.

So, if we consider the idea of using intermediate content files (markdown) and passing them through a static generator of some sort (jekyll, metalsmith, whatever) then we just need to address how best to handle the back-end data.

(As a side note, so far this is exactly how I have been building out pixls.us, just using markdown and metalsmith (node.js) to generate the site).

Is the ability to have multiple GIT repositories and permissions something we can easily setup on our existing infrastructure? Is it something we _should_ consider setting up? At the moment, when working on things on wgo, I just update my local copy of wgo, merge, work, push, etc...

I am busy building out another site at the moment, but things are still fresh in my head, and as such I'd be willing to start work on a redesign of wgo. I'm going to start making some notes and thoughts on the wiki:

http://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/WGO_Redesign

I may also branch wgo to start testing some ideas, but I will have some questions about the "application layer" setup as described by Cristobal...

Pat David
2015-05-29 22:10:18 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

All,

To continue along with my thoughts below, I just wanted to update everyone.

I am finally getting around to installing the pre-requisites for using Pelican (static site builder for python). This is in preparation to begin seriously looking at building the revamp as suggested by Cristobal in his initial correspondence.

I will be working on this sporadically in the coming weeks, in case anyone wanted to help out or experiment with me.

pat

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 10:11 AM Pat David wrote:

Ok, so I have some thoughts on this if you all don't mind indulging me...

I love the idea of a site re-design for a number of reasons (better organization of content, modern look, better usability for access to important information quickly and efficiently for users, lowering the barrier to entry for contributions, etc...).

Having recently spent all my free time building out pixls.us for fun, I'm still neck deep in this stuff so it's fun to think about.

I feel it would be beneficial to separate content from presentation. This allows the same content to be massaged into different forms later on (hopefully relatively easily). Using something like Markdown for page data is a very nice way to significantly lower the barrier for others to contribute (but is by no means a guarantee that they will - just that it would be a lot easier than it is currently).

I also tend to like the static site generation path. My personal main consideration for a page/site is to make it as lightweight, fast, and as useful as possible. This generally also has the benefit of reducing vectors for possible malicious acts.

So, if we consider the idea of using intermediate content files (markdown) and passing them through a static generator of some sort (jekyll, metalsmith, whatever) then we just need to address how best to handle the back-end data.

(As a side note, so far this is exactly how I have been building out pixls.us, just using markdown and metalsmith (node.js) to generate the site).

Is the ability to have multiple GIT repositories and permissions something we can easily setup on our existing infrastructure? Is it something we _should_ consider setting up? At the moment, when working on things on wgo, I just update my local copy of wgo, merge, work, push, etc...

I am busy building out another site at the moment, but things are still fresh in my head, and as such I'd be willing to start work on a redesign of wgo. I'm going to start making some notes and thoughts on the wiki:

http://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/WGO_Redesign

I may also branch wgo to start testing some ideas, but I will have some questions about the "application layer" setup as described by Cristobal...