RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP should fork babl and GEGL

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.1.1415188802.6030.g... 05 Nov 12:06
  GIMP should fork babl and GEGL Michael Bauer 05 Nov 12:05
Michael Bauer
2014-11-05 12:05:32 UTC (over 9 years ago)

GIMP should fork babl and GEGL

Not to mention the extra work created for localizers if they have to maintain two forks... it would be like the OpenOffice / LibreOffice mess.

I must admit I understand very little about the technical arguments put forth in this debate but from the localizer (and to a certain extent end-user) perspective, forking should be a very very very very last resort if a project is dead in the water but somehow under someone's deathgrip. Most 'normal' end users glaze over when I try to explain the difference between OpenO and LibreO... I wouldn't want to have to do that with Gimp too.

Michael

05/11/2014 12:00, sgrìobh gimp-developer-list-request@gnome.org:

Another advantage to forking babl and GEGL for GIMP is that GIMP's fork of babl and GEGL could be GPLed, thus freeing the GIMP devs to add FFTW (Fourier transforms,http://www.fftw.org/) and other new functionality to GIMP. FFTW is GPLed. At present, GIMP is somewhat hobbled as to what GPL code can be used for new editing functions because the babl/GEGL code is LGPLed.

With kindest regards, Elle Stone

*Akerbeltz *
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
Fòn: +44-141-946 4437
Facs: +44-141-945 2701

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net