RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

unified "artistic tools"

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

unified "artistic tools" Johann 28 Oct 13:34
  unified "artistic tools" Alexandre Prokoudine 28 Oct 19:31
   unified "artistic tools" Alexandre Prokoudine 28 Oct 21:34
Johann
2014-10-28 13:34:55 UTC (over 9 years ago)

unified "artistic tools"

1. Eraser should keep the quite useful tool-specific Un-erase option.

2. I have no idea what you meant with "use as default only black or white", or, rather, what defaults have to do with anything here. Do you think you could elaborate on that?

2. sorry if i forgot to write opaque and transparent for white/black being not a developer.

i talked about the airbrush, brush, pencil and ink, and not about the eraser, but i got what you say. Heh, the eraser is an exception, even if it uses the same configuration engine of tool presets. Sometimes its difficult to predict everything in theory only, so i'd suggest to code some code snippets and try things in action -hope you can follow me.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-10-28 19:31:07 UTC (over 9 years ago)

unified "artistic tools"

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Johann wrote:

i talked about the airbrush, brush, pencil and ink, and not about the eraser,

Well, I did say that the Airbrush has tool-specific options, namely, rate and flow. Personally, I can't see how you can merge those.

So 3 out of 5 tools (Airbrush, Brush, Pencil, Ink, Eraser) turn out to be "exceptions" that can't be merged -- at least, without a proper plan and a usability research.

That said, I do think that unless we can provide a way for Brush and Pencil to use separate brushes, keeping them as different tools makes no sense whatsoever to me. The pencil is supposed to always draw sharp(er) thin lines which it doesn't even do by default.

Alex

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-10-28 21:34:59 UTC (over 9 years ago)

unified "artistic tools"

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:31 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

That said, I do think that unless we can provide a way for Brush and Pencil to use separate brushes, keeping them as different tools makes no sense whatsoever to me. The pencil is supposed to always draw sharp(er) thin lines which it doesn't even do by default.

As pointed out on IRC, I completely forgot that it's possible to "unshare" brush settings between tools. However I still believe that it should be done by default.

Alex