RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

unified "artistic tools"

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

unified "artistic tools" Johann 18 Oct 12:34
  unified "artistic tools" Michael Grosberg 19 Oct 08:25
   unified "artistic tools" Przemyslaw Golab 19 Oct 12:38
    unified "artistic tools" Ed . 19 Oct 13:08
     unified "artistic tools" Richard 20 Oct 00:14
  unified "artistic tools" Alexandre Prokoudine 19 Oct 18:28
Johann
2014-10-18 12:34:52 UTC (over 9 years ago)

unified "artistic tools"

Hi there,

unified "artistic tools"

I make regularly use of following "artistic tools": brush, airbrush, pencil and ink too. Technically, all these tools could share the same configuration engine (some options would exclude others to avoid mess) and live instead as -default presets- in the presets list only.

regards

Jo

Michael Grosberg
2014-10-19 08:25:07 UTC (over 9 years ago)

unified "artistic tools"

Johann gmail.com> writes:

Hi there,

unified "artistic tools"

I make regularly use of following "artistic tools": brush, airbrush, pencil and ink too. Technically, all these tools could

share the same configuration

engine (some options would exclude others to avoid mess) and live instead

as -default presets- in the

presets list only.

regards

Jo

As a user, I believe this is a good idea. Certainly the "pencil" tool should be eliminated and turned to a "anti-aliased" checkbox in the brush tool that can be turned off. The airbrush... maybe call it "cumulative" - again, can be just a setting.
As for the ink tool... well - I think all of its functionality has been replicated by the current brush engine. It was useful when the brush engine was primitive but it's very impressive now. Perhaps the ink tool can be simply retired, pending community approval.

Now, this is just my feelings, based on my own use patterns. I know I basically only use the brush tool and very occasionally want to use the pencil tool. I NEVER use the airbrush or ink tools. So it would be best to see what other users do with them before deciding.

Przemyslaw Golab
2014-10-19 12:38:49 UTC (over 9 years ago)

unified "artistic tools"

Problem with this idea is that, when you combine those tools, you loose ability to use hotkeys to move between them. Which I use all the time.

Where's no point of combining them. This will only make Tool Option dialogue more cluttered with no benefits.

Only problem for now is that it's harder to change for example Brush Tool preset into Airbrush Tool or Clone Tool preset. (for now I just turn ON sharing Dynamic Curves and Brush in Gimp Settings) There is probably better way to solve this issue than combining tools into one which will bring more problems than solutions.

Current workflow could be enhanced so it would be easier to use hotkeys with Tool Presets, but I'm sure simple "combine all tools into one" wont solve those workflow issues only make them worse.

Ed .
2014-10-19 13:08:31 UTC (over 9 years ago)

unified "artistic tools"

Could have tools combined into one but hotkeys to switch between settings of that tool. Best of both worlds?

-----Original Message----- From: Przemyslaw Golab
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2014 1:38 PM To: Michael Grosberg
Cc: gimp-developer
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] unified "artistic tools"

Problem with this idea is that, when you combine those tools, you loose ability to use hotkeys to move between them. Which I use all the time.

Where's no point of combining them. This will only make Tool Option dialogue more cluttered with no benefits.

Only problem for now is that it's harder to change for example Brush Tool preset into Airbrush Tool or Clone Tool preset. (for now I just turn ON sharing Dynamic Curves and Brush in Gimp Settings) There is probably better way to solve this issue than combining tools into one which will bring more problems than solutions.

Current workflow could be enhanced so it would be easier to use hotkeys with Tool Presets, but I'm sure simple "combine all tools into one" wont solve those workflow issues only make them worse.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-10-19 18:28:49 UTC (over 9 years ago)

unified "artistic tools"

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Johann wrote:

Hi there,

unified "artistic tools"

I make regularly use of following "artistic tools": brush, airbrush, pencil and ink too. Technically, all these tools could share the same configuration engine

Technically, they can't :) Please take a look at the Ink tool again.

Alex

Richard
2014-10-20 00:14:17 UTC (over 9 years ago)

unified "artistic tools"

To: golab.przemyslaw@gmail.com
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 14:08:31 +0100 CC: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] unified "artistic tools"

Could have tools combined into one but hotkeys to switch between settings of that tool. Best of both worlds?

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

A.k.a. definable hotkeys for loading specific presets with a specific tool? An admittedly limited application, but if it's something your workflow uses a lot, more power to you. For example, for times where I'm interested in editing image pixels individually, a way to load up the Pencil tool AND a 1x1 size preset all in one hotkey would be awesome.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.