RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Brush size relative to canvas size

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Brush size relative to canvas size Johann 18 Oct 12:30
  Brush size relative to canvas size Richard 18 Oct 16:27
   121D3BF1-227A-4728-800E-0E3... 20 Oct 14:17
    Brush size relative to canvas size Johann 20 Oct 11:39
     Brush size relative to canvas size Joao S. O. Bueno 20 Oct 17:49
      Brush size relative to canvas size Richard 21 Oct 03:02
      Brush size relative to canvas size Johann 23 Oct 12:19
       Brush size relative to canvas size Richard 24 Oct 15:30
        Brush size relative to canvas size Alexia Death 04 Jan 21:28
Johann
2014-10-18 12:30:24 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hi guys,

some suggestions how to improve brushes: Brush size relative to canvas size

would be handy to have a dynamic brush size, like: if i zoom in, the brush size adapts to the canvas size and shrinks relative to the zoom factor. Vice-versa, if i zoom out, the brush size grows relative to the zoom factor.

benefit: to spend less time in (technical things) configuring the brush sizes (and more time working on our picture) a small (or big) brush would share a consistent small (or big) size relative to the canvas (zoom factor)

regards

Jo

Richard
2014-10-18 16:27:33 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 14:30:24 +0200 To: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-developer] Brush size relative to canvas size

Hi guys,

would be handy to have a dynamic brush size, like: if i zoom in, the brush size adapts to the canvas size and shrinks relative to the zoom factor. Vice-versa, if i zoom out, the brush size grows relative to the zoom factor.

I imagine this could be 'easy' to implement simply by adding a new unit of measure for brush sizes: "screen pixels" (as contrasted to "image pixels"). This might not be a useful feature to have for all measurements, but for brush sizes it could indeed be a plus.

For comparison, when you make adjustments in Inkscape the Alt modifier allows you to adjust things in terms of screen pixels (using the current zoom level), and it's a handy thing to have available.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Johann
2014-10-20 11:39:03 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hi guys,

I imagine this could be 'easy' to implement simply by adding a new unit of measure for brush sizes: "screen pixels" (as contrasted to "image pixels"). This might not be a useful feature to have for all measurements, but for brush sizes it could indeed be a plus.

For comparison, when you make adjustments in Inkscape the Alt modifier allows you to adjust things in terms of screen pixels (using the current zoom level), and it's a handy thing to have available.

--------------------

nice, if this feature looks relative easy to implement! I, and thats me, would suggest a check-button or something persistent to activate this feature, rather some modifier keys (maybe as a complementary function) - just to make things handier As a digital painter, i search always for new solutions to improve my work - a consistent brush size would help to speed up things, coupled with presets.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2014-10-20 17:49:25 UTC (over 9 years ago)

It is obvious that the current way of changing brush size is nearly unusable.

I have doubts however if your proposal would be the best way to have a better UI, or if it is just a work around for the current behavior.

Above all, just because Richard steped up with a proposed UI behavior for th e proposed feature does not mean, in any way, it would be "easy" to implement - there would need to be hacks all way down to how Units are implemented inside GIMP, and that could affect all code using units - just to star with.

Nonetheless it is way past the time we should have a decent way to deal with brush size - if Peter is around, it would be nice to hear f he could come up with some proposal on this. (I've tried suggesting alternatives in the past, but got either feedback, or feedback contrary to my suggestions)

js -> wrote:

Hi guys,

--------------------

nice, if this feature looks relative easy to implement! I, and thats me, would suggest a check-button or something persistent to activate this feature, rather some modifier keys (maybe as a complementary function) - just to make things handier As a digital painter, i search always for new solutions to improve my work - a consistent brush size would help to speed up things, coupled with presets.

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Richard
2014-10-21 03:02:53 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:49:25 -0200 From: gwidion@gmail.com
To: jo.y.venn@gmail.com
CC: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Brush size relative to canvas size

. . . Above all, just because Richard steped up with a proposed UI behavior for th e proposed feature does not mean, in any way, it would be "easy" to implement - there would need to be hacks all way down to how Units are implemented inside GIMP, and that could affect all code using units - just to star with.

js ->

Which is why I put "easy" in quotation marks :)

It's easy from a -conceptual- standpoint, but in terms of the actual code changes required ... well, I can't speak for that....

--------------------

Johann
2014-10-23 12:19:26 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hi Joao,
i understand your reservation, but wait a moment! ;) Sometimes we are a bit off, because our work consumes us, without giving much in return, I know that situations as well. I made the experience that we have to experiment all the time to push our skills and develop a real maturity in our work, even if nobody gives us a credit for it. Lets howl with the wolves, even louder ! (german-italian quote)

As for me, i'm really happy with the current configuration UI. I affirm that its true potential comes only through if we use Gimp e-v-e-r-y day. OMGimp! :)

I have doubts however if your proposal would be the best way to have a better UI, or if it is just a work around for the current behavior.

No patchwork, only a feature to improve brush features when working under time pressure. I could use the same brush to paint a surface (zoomed out) and in the same time a detail (zoomed in) Instead to fiddle around with units, maybe we could to use Brush dynamics ? Alternatives are welcome.

Am 20.10.2014 um 19:49 schrieb Joao S. O. Bueno:

It is obvious that the current way of changing brush size is nearly unusable.

Above all, just because Richard steped up with a proposed UI behavior for th e proposed feature does not mean, in any way, it would be "easy" to implement - there would need to be hacks all way down to how Units are implemented inside GIMP, and that could affect all code using units - just to star with.

Nonetheless it is way past the time we should have a decent way to deal with brush size - if Peter is around, it would be nice to hear f he could come up with some proposal on this. (I've tried suggesting alternatives in the past, but got either feedback, or feedback contrary to my suggestions)

js ->

Richard
2014-10-24 15:30:03 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:19:26 +0200 To: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org

Instead to fiddle around with units, maybe we could to use Brush dynamics ? Alternatives are welcome.

That's an interesting alternative, though it doesn't make much sense to just map Zoom as an input to the dynamics grid ... I don't imagine zoom being a useful value for anything other than brush size, and it's a multiplicatively inverse relationship ... but perhaps on the Size output there can be an option to control whether it is considered absolute or (screen) relative ....

--------------------

Alexia Death
2015-01-04 21:28:21 UTC (about 9 years ago)

The feature is in GIT now, btw.

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Richard wrote:

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:19:26 +0200 To: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org

Instead to fiddle around with units, maybe we could to use Brush

dynamics ? Alternatives are welcome.

That's an interesting alternative, though it doesn't make much sense to just map Zoom as an input to the dynamics grid ... I don't imagine zoom being a useful value for anything other than brush size, and it's a multiplicatively inverse relationship ... but perhaps on the Size output there can be an option to control whether it is considered absolute or (screen) relative ....

--------------------

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

--Alexia