RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp Texttool Native Language

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.3.1411905605.21158.... 28 Sep 12:57
  Gimp Texttool Native Language Michael Bauer 28 Sep 12:57
   Gimp Texttool Native Language Jehan Pagès 28 Sep 15:52
    Gimp Texttool Native Language Michael Bauer 28 Sep 17:12
    Gimp Texttool Native Language Michael Bauer 28 Sep 17:24
     Gimp Texttool Native Language Jehan Pagès 28 Sep 17:49
    Gimp Texttool Native Language Partha Bagchi 28 Sep 18:04
Michael Bauer
2014-09-28 12:57:00 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Ok, mystery solved, bug confirmed.

Kotoeri is the default IME on OSX for Japanese, it offers, amongst other things, Latin to Kana/Kanji conversion. This is what should happen: 1 Go to settings and add Japanese as a language, ensure that under input sources for kotoeri "Romaji" (i.e. Latin) is selected for typing method (unless you have a Japanese keyboard) 2 Open any program (I tested the Google search box in Firefox and LibreOffice)
3 Top right of screen, change the UK/US/whatever flag to Japanese (wil show a hiragan A)
4 Start typing. It should convert Romaji to Kana/Kanji automatically e.g. shamisen > 三味線
sushi > すし
(for testing just pick any Japanese terms off wikipedia if you don't read Japanese)

In GIMP (Partha's build) the conversion does not work, it simply enters the Romaji i.e. Latin letters.

Michael

Jehan Pagès
2014-09-28 15:52:38 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Michael Bauer wrote:

Kotoeri is the default IME on OSX for Japanese, it offers, amongst other things, Latin to Kana/Kanji conversion. This is what should happen: 1 Go to settings and add Japanese as a language, ensure that under input sources for kotoeri "Romaji" (i.e. Latin) is selected for typing method (unless you have a Japanese keyboard) 2 Open any program (I tested the Google search box in Firefox and LibreOffice)
3 Top right of screen, change the UK/US/whatever flag to Japanese (wil show a hiragan A)
4 Start typing. It should convert Romaji to Kana/Kanji automatically e.g. shamisen > 三味線
sushi > すし
(for testing just pick any Japanese terms off wikipedia if you don't read Japanese)

In GIMP (Partha's build) the conversion does not work, it simply enters the Romaji i.e. Latin letters.

Ok so the problem was not that Partha did not know how to use an input method to output Japanese, it was that he knew how, but that it worked everywhere but in GIMP? That was not clear.

Partha, did you compile GTK+ yourself? If so, ensure that --with-included-immodules=yes was set. Note that reading the configure.ac, it should normally be set by default (unless for instance you also --disable-modules). But well, make it a clear configure option to be double sure.

If even with this, that's still not working, but it's working everywhere else, well maybe there is a broken support of input methods for OSX in GTK+? Try another GTK+ app and check if you can write text through an input method engine there.

Have fun.

Jehan

Michael

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Michael Bauer
2014-09-28 17:12:46 UTC (over 9 years ago)

28/09/2014 16:52, sgrìobh Jehan Pagès:

Ok so the problem was not that Partha did not know how to use an input method to output Japanese, it was that he knew how, but that it worked everywhere but in GIMP? That was not clear.

That was a little confused indeed but I can see how CJK typography is confusing for non-speakers

Partha, did you compile GTK+ yourself? If so, ensure that --with-included-immodules=yes was set. Note that reading the configure.ac, it should normally be set by default (unless for instance you also --disable-modules). But well, make it a clear configure option to be double sure.

If even with this, that's still not working, but it's working everywhere else, well maybe there is a broken support of input methods for OSX in GTK+? Try another GTK+ app and check if you can write text through an input method engine there.

Just a minor addendum: I grabbed the http://download.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.8/osx/staging/ file (which still has the problem with the UI language menu by the way) and installed that and gave it a bash. It marginally works. I can type but no kana/kanji are shown while typing (the way it happens in other programs) - by fluke I discovered that by hitting Enter, it seems to insert to top suggestions (which is not visible of course). This isn't workable as there is no 1-1 correlation between Romaji and Kana/Kanji, a sequence like 'sushi' may be written in several ways (3 of which refer to the food and several others to unrelated concepts). So the suggestions must be visible 'live' or Kotoeri in combination with Gimp is unusable.

Do other scripts have a similar problem? I can give Chinese a bash but I don't know if Arabic etc have the same problem?

Michael

Michael Bauer
2014-09-28 17:24:33 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Regarding Chinese:

I tested Pinyin (stupid machine can't do Cantonese, bah) and it sort of works. You start typing Pinyin and the suggestions window pops up and displays the different suggestions and inserts them correctly.

What does not work well is the alignment. In other programs (again, tested Firefox and LibreOffice), the OS places the suggestions window near the cursor and moves the window along as you type. It cannot be manually repositioned (as far as I can tell).

In Gimp, the window appears, as do suggestions and they are inserted correctly. However, it insists on placing the suggestions window in the bottom left of the Gimp window and since I cannot reposition it (and would have to do so every time I type since it autocloses), it makes typing very annoying because my eyes have to keep jumping between the cursor area and the bottom left of the window.

It would seem that non-Latin script entry methods on OSX don't work well with Gimp in general.

Michael

*Akerbeltz *
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
Fòn: +44-141-946 4437
Facs: +44-141-945 2701

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net 
Jehan Pagès
2014-09-28 17:49:47 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Michael Bauer wrote:

Regarding Chinese:

I tested Pinyin (stupid machine can't do Cantonese, bah) and it sort of works. You start typing Pinyin and the suggestions window pops up and displays the different suggestions and inserts them correctly.

What does not work well is the alignment. In other programs (again, tested Firefox and LibreOffice), the OS places the suggestions window near the cursor and moves the window along as you type. It cannot be manually repositioned (as far as I can tell).

In Gimp, the window appears, as do suggestions and they are inserted correctly. However, it insists on placing the suggestions window in the bottom left of the Gimp window and since I cannot reposition it (and would

I can reproduce such a placement on Linux too. I believe it places it relative to the widget, which I think is the GimpCanvas in the case of a text in the canvas. When writing in other elements of GIMP though, for instance in some text field, or renaming a layer with Japanese, etc. the suggestion window is correctly placed (next to the text being inputted), likely because the containing widget is smaller.

have to do so every time I type since it autocloses), it makes typing very annoying because my eyes have to keep jumping between the cursor area and the bottom left of the window.

It would seem that non-Latin script entry methods on OSX don't work well with Gimp in general.

Well I won't go that far. I work with someone who write in Korean, names most layers with Korean (even though I tell her to write layer names in English all the time!), and she doesn't seem to complain about writing in Korean within GIMP.

Now there is always room for improvement, there is no denying. Maybe we can do something about the suggestion placement next to the cursor instead of next to the widget (which may at times be far from the cursor indeed). No idea what control over the IME we have within GIMP and GTK+. I'd have to research this and check current GTK+ code. I propose that you open a bug report for this specific issue. I'll have a look (unless someone else does before!), though I don't consider this high priority. But you are right, that's still an issue, and a report in Bugzilla to remind us of this would be welcome. Thanks!

Jehan

Michael

-- Akerbeltz
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
Fòn: +44-141-946 4437
Facs: +44-141-945 2701

Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e! Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting, geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net

Partha Bagchi
2014-09-28 18:04:16 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Michael Bauer wrote:

sushi > すし

Yes, I compile my own GTK+ for all platforms I support. I don't explicitly set immodules. The only options I explicitly set are

--enable-introspection=no --enable-quartz-relocation --with-gdktarget=quartz --without-x --with-xinput=yes

Have fun.

Jehan

Michael

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list