RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

OSX - solution

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.4872.1410727321.206... 21 Sep 12:23
  OSX - solution Michael Bauer 21 Sep 12:22
   OSX - solution scl 21 Sep 12:45
    OSX - solution Partha Bagchi 21 Sep 13:22
     OSX - solution Michael Schumacher 21 Sep 15:13
      OSX - solution Partha Bagchi 21 Sep 18:32
Michael Bauer
2014-09-21 12:22:57 UTC (over 9 years ago)

OSX - solution

Ok, good news, between the indomitable Partha and myself (mostly Partha, I was just testing), we managed to identify the problem and Partha was able to fix it and provide a working build.

Fault finding eventually got us to running

$ locale

which on my machine resulted in LANG and LC_ALL being blank whereas Partha's machine offered

LANG="en_US.UTF-8" LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

After running

$ export LC_ALL="de_DE.UTF-8 $ cd /ApplicationS/Gimp-2.8.app/Contents/MacOS $ ./gimp-bin

It came up in German and following $ export LC_ALL="gd.UTF-8

it came up in Gaelic. Partha diagnosed that "The previous default you had was "C" which mean gtk will always provide you an English interface." Partha's current build has some fix that means that the dropdown now shows all languages and implements them correctly.

I don't know what Partha technically did, perhaps he can comment on the technicaly solution in his build?

Michael

__ *Akerbeltz *
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
Fòn: +44-141-946 4437
Facs: +44-141-945 2701

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!* Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting, geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net

scl
2014-09-21 12:45:21 UTC (over 9 years ago)

OSX - solution

On 21.9.2014 at 2:22 PM Michael Bauer wrote:

Ok, good news, between the indomitable Partha and myself (mostly Partha, I was just testing), we managed to identify the problem and Partha was able to fix it and provide a working build.

After running

$ export LC_ALL="de_DE.UTF-8 $ cd /ApplicationS/Gimp-2.8.app/Contents/MacOS $ ./gimp-bin

This means to have to set the language outside GIMP in a terminal window and seems to partially bring back the language black magic we removed from the build because it was unmaintainable. Partha, did you also try commit ef0ef921b8dcb49ee82acba6540b69e6617c65d9 I presented in my message from 14.09.14 at 3:08 P.M.? It works for me in an environment without access to the build prefix.

Kind regards

Sven

Partha Bagchi
2014-09-21 13:22:09 UTC (over 9 years ago)

OSX - solution

No, you don't need to do that. The language black magic is not involved.

I use a script to launch Gimp and make all the libraries available. The script is inspired by Simone's 2.6.x script and modified for my builds.

So, I set the language in the script and you all set. The script obviously creates a local environment and so it does not interfere with the User Interface language.

Without the language setting, GTK will set the locale to "C" and Gimp will not be able to change it. With a language setting, GTK is happy and Gimp is happy.

Sven, no, I didn't use commit. I know what you did there but I don't think it's necessary.

Thanks,
Partha

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM, scl wrote:

On 21.9.2014 at 2:22 PM Michael Bauer wrote:

After running

This means to have to set the language outside GIMP in a terminal window and seems to partially bring back the language black magic we removed from the build because it was unmaintainable. Partha, did you also try commit ef0ef921b8dcb49ee82acba6540b69e6617c65d9 I presented in my message from 14.09.14 at 3:08 P.M.? It works for me in an environment without access to the build prefix.

Kind regards

Sven

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Michael Schumacher
2014-09-21 15:13:42 UTC (over 9 years ago)

OSX - solution

On 21.09.2014 15:22, Partha Bagchi wrote:

I use a script to launch Gimp and make all the libraries available. The script is inspired by Simone's 2.6.x script and modified for my builds.

We want that users can select the language in the GIMP preferences, though.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Partha Bagchi
2014-09-21 18:32:46 UTC (over 9 years ago)

OSX - solution

An they do as Michael mentioned at the start of this thread.

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

On 21.09.2014 15:22, Partha Bagchi wrote:

We want that users can select the language in the GIMP preferences, though.

-- Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list