RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Someone is using the gimp name and icon in the apple App Store

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Someone is using the gimp name and icon in the apple App Store Seldom Needy 20 Sep 15:50
  Someone is using the gimp name and icon in the apple App Store Michael Schumacher 20 Sep 16:00
Seldom Needy
2014-09-20 15:50:51 UTC (over 9 years ago)

To: "gimp-developer-list@gnome.org" Subject: [Gimp-developer] Someone is using the gimp name and icon in the apple App Store.
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Just thought you might want to know. Someone is using the icon and gimp name in >an app on the App Store.

Awesome GIMP Photo Editor Pro by Amit Chaudhary https://appsto.re/us/UvugT.i

To: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Someone is using the gimp name and icon in the apple App Store.
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252

Yeah, this was ongoing for some time. After I started to lose faith in Apple's common sense, they finally sent this today:

"We have removed the app listed below from the App Store. Please allow some time for our systems to refresh. We trust that this resolves your concerns."

--
Regards,
Michael

I take it it wasn't a *FREE* app, is that right? (Or even really anything to do with GIMP...) Otherwise even a semi-featured port of GIMP as a mobile application for iOS wouldn't be so bad.

Michael Schumacher
2014-09-20 16:00:12 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 20.09.2014 17:50, Seldom Needy wrote:

I take it it wasn't a *FREE* app, is that right? (Or even really anything to do with GIMP...) Otherwise even a semi-featured port of GIMP as a mobile application for iOS wouldn't be so bad.

Is was something totally different - an application built around the Aviary SDK (apparently violating their terms of use, at least this is what the Aviary developers told me), and with a "totally not abusing GIMP's name, can't you see it is a totally different full name" name slapped onto it to boost its sales.

Regarding GIMP itself on iOS: Our understanding of the iOS app store ToS is that there can be no GPL-licensed software there.

Also, GIMP on a primarily touch-based interface would have to look and feel really different.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD