RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

OSX

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.3.1410955202.13299.... 17 Sep 13:07
  OSX Michael Bauer 17 Sep 13:07
Michael Bauer
2014-09-17 13:07:02 UTC (over 9 years ago)

OSX

17/09/2014 13:00, sgrìobh gimp-developer-list-request@gnome.org:

In both cases, the App menu shows mixed languages: the primary one from System Preferences and the user selected one

well? I?m still not convinced. Why? Every supported OS X language is automatically detected, if there?s a localization in GIMP.

Jugding by the problems Parthia is having getting *German* to work on my version of Mavericks, I'm not even sure about that bit

The current implementation mixes languages.

GIMP mixes languages already, whichever OS/locale permutation you're one (except for English of course) since the brushes/textures are unlocalizable

And I find it confusing to offer an application specific way to set localization because it?s one of the main concepts of OS X to have these settings in one central place, namely System Preferences, and that this system wide setting should be respected by all applications.

Sorry, with all due respect, that is a shackle, not a feature for many locales and I suspect was implemented in OSX by monolingual speakers of English, French or German where l10n support is generally very good. Even bilingual speakers of larger languages do not like this aspect of OSX. It is arrogant beyond belief by an OS to assume it has the right to force a user into a particular linguistic behaviour.

And finally, the comandline still allows switching langugage in both builds, yours and mine: ?LANG=your_locale open -a Gimp'

Sure, if you're a developer. But normal users don't mess with the command line. We have this issue with Freeciv and the few users who have tried have generally given up, it's just uber-geeky for most and fairly inconvenient.

Incidentally, that command does not work, at least not on my machine.

Michael