RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

OSX

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.3.1410782402.25623.... 15 Sep 12:22
  OSX Michael Bauer 15 Sep 12:22
   OSX Owen 15 Sep 22:16
   OSX Michael Schumacher 16 Sep 16:51
    OSX Simone Karin Lehmann 16 Sep 17:59
Michael Bauer
2014-09-15 12:22:15 UTC (over 9 years ago)

OSX

Well, for those whose locales are supported, that still removes user control over the UI language. Not a good idea.

But the really big problem is for locales not supported by the OS, many medium to small locales fall into this category. If someone localizes GIMP into, for the sake of argument, Dyirbal (one of the bigger Australian languages), then they are stuffed unless the application offers a manual UI language selection because the OS certainly doesn't offer Dyirbal. In fact 95% of the world's 6000 languages are not supported as locales by most OS.

It's actually fairly common to have a UI language selection in applications but I can see why users of bigger languages might miss it if they rely on force-locale. VLC, WordPress, GCompris and Opera (the browser) have one for example, Firefox offers single-locale downloads i.e. you download a specific language build, LibreOffice has locale dmgs you can install manually for specific locales.

It's *particularly* bad on iOS (which isn't the issue here but just to illustrate) - although there ARE Gaelic localizations of Opera Mini and WordPress for iOS, users cannot access them because the apps do not offer such a manual choice and rely solely on force-locale.

Michael

15/09/2014 13:00, sgrìobh gimp-developer-list-request@gnome.org:

Indeed. It isn?t possible within GIMP but in System Preferences. As with all other native OS X applications. At least I don?t know about a native application having its own language selector.

Regards
Simone Karin

Owen
2014-09-15 22:16:13 UTC (over 9 years ago)

OSX

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:22:15 +0100 Michael Bauer wrote:

localizes GIMP into, for the sake of argument, Dyirbal (one of the bigger Australian languages)

Certainly been an interesting topic, and I was moved by the above statement to read more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyirbal_language

With five (5) speakers of this language, the mind takes a flight of fancy, imagining the Dyirbal tribal elders spending many a day and sleepless night bemoaning the lack of their language support in gimp.

While we might be moving away from the days of bandwitdh filtering along a rusting fence wire, it still seems appropriate to have language specific programs.

Owen

Michael Schumacher
2014-09-16 16:51:35 UTC (over 9 years ago)

OSX

Von: "Michael Bauer"

But the really big problem is for locales not supported by the OS, many medium to small locales fall into this category. If someone localizes GIMP into, for the sake of argument, Dyirbal (one of the bigger Australian languages), then they are stuffed unless the application offers a manual UI language selection because the OS certainly doesn't offer Dyirbal. In fact 95% of the world's 6000 languages are not supported as locales by most OS.

I hadn't thought about that, even. I wonder what the official stance of Apple is there (some carefully worded "we care about market share" probably).

Simone, I hope this can convince you to not remove that code from GIMP?

P.S. Simone, are there are any other changes like this, ones that greatly alter how your build works compared to a non-modified one?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Simone Karin Lehmann
2014-09-16 17:59:07 UTC (over 9 years ago)

OSX

Simone, I hope this can convince you to not remove that code from GIMP?

well ...
we’re talking about two use cases:

a) a user wants to use GIMP in some other language than OS X itself. b) a user wants to use GIMP in some language, that neither OS X supports, nor any other native (not from Linux ported) OS X application

In both cases, the App menu shows mixed languages: the primary one from System Preferences and the user selected one

well… I’m still not convinced. Why? Every supported OS X language is automatically detected, if there’s a localization in GIMP. The current implementation mixes languages. And I find it confusing to offer an application specific way to set localization because it’s one of the main concepts of OS X to have these settings in one central place, namely System Preferences, and that this system wide setting should be respected by all applications. And finally, the comandline still allows switching langugage in both builds, yours and mine: ‚LANG=your_locale open -a Gimp'

Anyway, I’m thinking about it …

P.S. Simone, are there are any other changes like this, ones that greatly alter how your build works compared to a non-modified one?

Well, that depends on what you mean by „greatly alters“. If it’s something like: it works, whereas the non-modified doesn’t, there are a few (very platform specific ones, indeed) and of course, there’s one right-out-of-hell-patch regarding the save/export behavior.

Here they are: working dock menus, standard OS X shortcuts for Hide, Hide others, Quit, Fullscreen, Print, Scanner support via Image capture, open location, locally installed help, preserving EXIF/IPTC when saving JPEG / TIFF, opening EPS, and some minor tweaks (as completely got rid of Carbon in all libraries, using system provided Python, Gatekeeper code signing, QuickLook for xcf, and a lot of plugins, a typical Mac user can’t compile itself)

Regards Simone