RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp just shows up as gray rectangle with rulers around

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp just shows up as gray rectangle with rulers around Seldom Needy 10 Sep 16:57
Seldom Needy
2014-09-10 16:57:19 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Gimp just shows up as gray rectangle with rulers around

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 21:17:30 -0700 From: YUMIKO
To: "gimp-developer-list@gnome.org" Subject: [Gimp-developer] Gimp just shows up as gray rectangle with rulers around
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

HI\I am a mac user and my os is o mavarick.I downloaded gimp and opened it up to find the gray rectangle with gimp logo in the middle and rulers around.There are no bottuns to edit photos at all, nothing. Can you help me?
Yumiko

I'm not tremendously familiar with the shortcuts and interface as they exist on Mac systems. If you've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling and are getting the same behavior, it might be that you've got some odd settings making their way into your configuration initially, and you just need to overwrite them.

This may fail if the menubar is hidden, but on Windows, F10 raises the File menu, after which it should be possible to navigate over with arrow keys (or mouse?) and re-open any dialogs which have been hidden (Window menu's dropdown). If it gives you a Recently Closed list, then great... if not, then Layers, Channels, Paths, Tools, and Toolbox dialogs are the most commonly used.

Right-clicking will give the same options as the top menubar, for me, even with no image open.

The Tab key hides all dialogs except for the main window, so try tapping that to see what happens.

Most View settings, such as Hide/unhide Menubar are disabled until you are editing a piece, so you may ⌘O or ⌘N to open an existing piece or create a new one after specifying dimensions.

If you're getting any response from keyboard shortcuts, the user settings for your install are probably just weird, but should save on exit if you change it to a layout you like.

If no shortcuts or menus are working, you may have a bad install, program-conflicts, registry-issues, missing dependencies, etc. Let us know the symptoms.