RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Query about Brushes and names

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Query about Brushes and names Andrew Francis 10 Sep 11:09
  Query about Brushes and names Joao S. O. Bueno 10 Sep 18:54
Andrew Francis
2014-09-10 11:09:52 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Dear Sir or Madam,
I do hope my query doesn't automatically go out to all developers - I don't want to pester everyone with it! My apologies if I have done so.

I just have a query about GIMP and if it is possible to change names of brushes - the boxes that I would have expected to take input for names don't let me do so which is why I'm addressing this to developers directly.

I notice also that there is a "filter" option and wondered how a person might tag brushes with filterable options?

I attached an image with a couple of screenshots added in case I am not being clear - I don't know the names for the 'bits' and am just starting as a gimp user.

Thanking you in advance for any advice you may be able to offer me,

Andrew Francis

Joao S. O. Bueno
2014-09-10 18:54:50 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 10 September 2014 08:09, Andrew Francis wrote:

Dear Sir or Madam,
I do hope my query doesn't automatically go out to all developers - I don't want to pester everyone with it! My apologies if I have done so.

I just have a query about GIMP and if it is possible to change names of brushes - the boxes that I would have expected to take input for names don't let me do so which is why I'm addressing this to developers directly.

So - indeed, it is an UI issue -GIMP currently don't distinguish between resources, including brushes, which are marked as read only (either in the file system, or just marked as from a folder made read-only in the preferences). So, brush names for new brushes should be changeable - but to change the name of brushes that ship with GIMP you have to move then to a user writable location, and make the proper changes in the Brush folders page in the preferences.

I notice also that there is a "filter" option and wondered how a person might tag brushes with filterable options?

Maybe you are mistaking the brush name for brush tags? Please take a look at the documentation and check if that is the case:

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tagging.html

I attached an image with a couple of screenshots added in case I am not being clear - I don't know the names for the 'bits' and am just starting as a gimp user.

The mail list does not accept attached files - if I had not addressed your issues correctly, please post your image somewhere on the web and send us the link.

Also, you can try e-mailing the user list instead of here - there should be more people willing to help with day-to-day using issues than here.

Thanking you in advance for any advice you may be able to offer me,

Andrew Francis ____________