RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

So WHY can't GIMP find its own Manual

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

So WHY can't GIMP find its own Manual Qaz Wiz 17 Aug 14:33
Qaz Wiz
2014-08-17 14:33:53 UTC (over 9 years ago)

So WHY can't GIMP find its own Manual

I think I know what is happening.

I have seen times that I try to install but the location is write protected. well I'M SMART enough to change permission and reinstall

but it fails... and the location turns out to still be write protected. :(

now it wasn't GIMP but I'm not going to say what program i was installing extras to because my fix can leave a vulnerability.

it seems that Micro$hit, in all of it's GLORIOUS stupidity, has locked the installed programs as prevention of malicious attack. WHY IS THAT STUPIDITY? simply this, one can override by going up a level or two and unlocking all sub folders but it isnt clear if relocking can prevent program from running an I'm NOT CLAIRVOYANT ENOUGH TO KNOW.

instead it allows you to think you have changed permissions when at it's own level, even displaying the intended change after your attempt but actually it is a lie as evidenced by closing the file explorer and navigating back in a new instance of file exployer

while locked there is no notice that the location does not accept files sent there. and actually may allow some sent there by Micro$hit products (haven't been able to confirm)

so while I am an advocate for sandboxing, putting the owner of a computer into a sandbox without their knowledge let alone permission is tantamount to malicious activity in my book.

so you see why i will not disclose the actual program i changed for adding extras. Now as to the help files, may i suggest a work around of installing to your desktop and double clicking.

:-\

in response to the following:

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 7:00 AM, wrote:

Send gimp-docs-list mailing list submissions to gimp-docs-list@gnome.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs-list or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to gimp-docs-list-request@gnome.org

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-docs-list-owner@gnome.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of gimp-docs-list digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Can't access offline help manual!!! (Adrian Woodcraft) 2. Re: Can't access offline help manual!!! (Michael Schumacher)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1 Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 05:34:17 -0700 From: Adrian Woodcraft
To: "gimp-docs-list@gnome.org"
Subject: [Gimp-docs] Can't access offline help manual!!! Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Earlier tonight (MUCH earlier tonight) I downloaded and installed GIMP.? Then I opened it to make sure the installation had worked okay.? Then I clicked on "Help" to find out how to USE it.? To my surprise "Help" told me there was no Help Manual installed and gave me the options of going online or cancelling.? I did not want to go online, so I cancelled.? What it DID NOT tell me was how/where to get the offline Help Manual.

So I went back to Google.? It gave me gimp.org amongst other possible websites to download the manual from.? I thought "Best to get it directly from the horse's mouth" so selected Gimp.org.? I downloaded the Help Manual loader/installer, then ran it.? It finished with the message "Help Manual successfully installed!". ? "GREAT!", I thought, "offline Help, including the beginners' tutorials, now available whenever I need them on my local computer!"

I reopened GIMP, then "Help", then, full of eager anticipation clicked "Help Manual".? What did I get?? A dialogue box that informed me that "Help Manual is not installed on your computer."? Options:? Go online?? or?? Cancel.?? But I had JUST FINISHED installing the Help Manual - more accurately, I had JUST FINISHED letting GIMP's own installer instal the Help Manual, presumably in the same directory as GIMP's own program installer had previously finished installing GIMP itself.? EVERYTHING was absolutely standard.?

So WHY can't GIMP find its own Manual in the directory that GIMP itself created and installed it in?
Alt question:? What haven't I been told about how to make GIMP find a GIMP-installed part of itself?

A broader, more philosophical question:? Why is SO MUCH new learning connected with IT like trying to find one's way into a building with no front door?? ? ??

I won't go into how long it took me to get registered as a subscriber to this list.? The confirmation process just went around and around in circles without ever putting me in front of a "start new thread" or "submit your question" screen.? All I want to do is stitch a few photos together and sharpen up the colours in a few others.??

Adrian.

` -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-docs-list/attachments/20140816/45cd0925/attachment.html

------------------------------

Message: 2 Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 14:51:29 +0200 From: Michael Schumacher
To: gimp-docs-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-docs] Can't access offline help manual!!! Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

On 08/16/2014 02:34 PM, Adrian Woodcraft wrote:

So WHY can't GIMP find its own Manual in the directory that GIMP itself created and installed it in?

We do not know why this happens to some users, although some theories have been brought up.

For starters, what language does your system use?

-- Regards,
Michael

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________ gimp-docs-list mailing list
gimp-docs-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs-list

End of gimp-docs-list Digest, Vol 29, Issue 7 *********************************************