RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How can I modify GIMP's Menu Hierarchy?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How can I modify GIMP's Menu Hierarchy? chAms 30 Jul 04:50
  How can I modify GIMP's Menu Hierarchy? Ofnuts 30 Jul 22:59
   How can I modify GIMP's Menu Hierarchy? chAms 31 Jul 06:02
2014-07-30 04:50:05 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Hi,
I am working with feature recommendation for complex softwares to enhance users' feature awareness in order to make their future task easier. As a reference software, I use GIMP (about 250 distinct features). For my purpose, I have developed a recommendation system based on RBM which recommends new features that users are unfamiliar with. I already tried to mock up gimp menu hierarchy using Java interface to get a extra bit of freedom to manipulate the menu system to visualize the recommended features. But unfortunately, I am finding it hard to design a userstudy to measure the effect of feature awareness due to the fact that a user is unable to do real task in my prototype interface. Therefore, I need a good understading of gimp's Menu generation code so that I can visualize the recommended features in actual GIMP interface. Since the code base is large, I am finding it hard to track the code. So It would be a great help for me If anyone knows answer to my following questions:

1. source_folder/menus contains a number of xml file for example: images-menu.xml but it doesn't contain all the menuitem names under image menu in actual interface. I want to know which file actuallly generate initial menu in gimp.

Thanks in advance. Adnan

Ofnuts
2014-07-30 22:59:06 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 30/07/14 06:50, chAms wrote:

Hi,
I am working with feature recommendation for complex softwares to enhance users' feature awareness in order to make their future task easier. As a reference software, I use GIMP (about 250 distinct features). For my purpose, I have developed a recommendation system based on RBM which recommends new features that users are unfamiliar with. I already tried to mock up gimp menu hierarchy using Java interface to get a extra bit of freedom to manipulate the menu system to visualize the recommended features. But unfortunately, I am finding it hard to design a userstudy to measure the effect of feature awareness due to the fact that a user is unable to do real task in my prototype interface. Therefore, I need a good understading of gimp's Menu generation code so that I can visualize the recommended features in actual GIMP interface. Since the code base is large, I am finding it hard to track the code. So It would be a great help for me If anyone knows answer to my following questions:

1. source_folder/menus contains a number of xml file for example: images-menu.xml but it doesn't contain all the menuitem names under image menu in actual interface. I want to know which file actuallly generate initial menu in gimp.

Thanks in advance.
Adnan

There is no such file... The menu system in Gimp is fairly dynamic due to the pervasiveness of scripts and plug-ins. Each script/plug-in, when registering, tells Gimp where it wants to show up in the menus. So in the end you have a mix of entries for Gimp built-in functionality, Gimp "standard plug-ins", and any script/plug-in that the user added.

2014-07-31 06:02:43 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

There is no such file... The menu system in Gimp is fairly dynamic due to the pervasiveness of scripts and plug-ins. Each script/plug-in, when
registering, tells Gimp where it wants to show up in the menus. So in the end you have a mix of entries for Gimp built-in functionality, Gimp
"standard plug-ins", and any script/plug-in that the user added.

Hi,
Thanks for quick reply. Can you tell me a file location where such plugin registry take place? and what about other menuitems for example items under File menu and Image menu? I have another question that is when registering take place, it stores in global_menu_factory (app/menus.c) but I didn't get the definition of global_menu_factory. If you know what it is can you explain?

thanks in advance. Adnan