RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Python-fu GIMP Layer "parent" property error

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Python-fu GIMP Layer "parent" property error Seldom Needy 19 Jun 01:41
  Python-fu GIMP Layer "parent" property error Joao S. O. Bueno 19 Jun 03:31
   Python-fu GIMP Layer "parent" property error Joao S. O. Bueno 20 Jun 01:38
    Python-fu GIMP Layer "parent" property error Ofnuts 20 Jun 07:08
     Python-fu GIMP Layer "parent" property error Joao S. O. Bueno 20 Jun 19:30
Seldom Needy
2014-06-19 01:41:25 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

As stated at http://www.gimp.org/bugs/ I'm supposed to mention issues here before throwing them into the tracker so here goes.

Working on a plugin that does some layer manipulation and kept encountering the error:
AttributeError: 'gimp.Layer' object has no attribute 'layers' when trying to access the layer structure in a tree-like fashion to find "sibling" layers in the same grouplayer/layergroup. After being puzzled, I found the issue, which seems to essentially be that the "parent" attribute of a layer automatically "upcasts" to gimp.Layer, rather than yielding a gimp.GroupLayer, as I think should be expected.

The behavior can be reproduced as follows from Python console in GIMP 2.8.8:

image = gimp.image_list()[0]
image.layers[0].layers[0].parent.layers # again with the result:

AttributeError: 'gimp.Layer' object has no attribute 'layers'

Assuming an image's layer-structure is similar to: [root image]
+--------GROUPLAYER ZERO
+--------+--------LAYER ZERO OF ZERO +--------GROUPLAYER ONE
+--------+--------LAYER ZERO OF ONE
+--------+--------LAYER ONE OF ONE
+--------LAYER BACKGROUND

From the console we have a hint as to why this is.

image.layers[0]

image.layers[0].layers[0].parent # should return the same layer as above but gives

I haven't seen this on the bugtracker nor was I able to find discussion about it on the listserv archive. I assume it is a platform-independent bug. Can anyone confirm that? I develop on Windows XP at present.

Workarounds for this bug exist I'm not in love with them (inelegant). Regardless, a sketch of what might work without using globals:

def get_all_layers(parent): """-> list. recursively get all layers from either an image, or a GroupLayer Proceeds depth-first.
"""
container=[]
for layer in parent.layers:
container.append(layer)
if hasattr(layer,"layers"):
container.extend( get_all_layers(layer) ) return container

def get_parent(child): if hasattr(child,"parent"):
for layer in get_all_layers(child.image): if layer.name==child.parent.name: return layer #^ layer will have the proper data-type of gimp.GroupLayer, so return it.
#^.. We do this because child.parent yields a gimp.Layer, which is undesired.
else:
return child.image # if we're already top-level, parent must just be the image.

Cheers
- Seldom

Joao S. O. Bueno
2014-06-19 03:31:17 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

yes - this is a bug - and it can be open in the bugtracker.

On 18 June 2014 22:41, Seldom Needy wrote:

As stated at http://www.gimp.org/bugs/ I'm supposed to mention issues here before throwing them into the tracker so here goes.

Working on a plugin that does some layer manipulation and kept encountering the error:
AttributeError: 'gimp.Layer' object has no attribute 'layers' when trying to access the layer structure in a tree-like fashion to find "sibling" layers in the same grouplayer/layergroup. After being puzzled, I found the issue, which seems to essentially be that the "parent" attribute of a layer automatically "upcasts" to gimp.Layer, rather than yielding a gimp.GroupLayer, as I think should be expected.

+--------GROUPLAYER ZERO

image.layers[0]

image.layers[0].layers[0].parent # should return the same layer as above but gives

I haven't seen this on the bugtracker nor was I able to find discussion about it on the listserv archive. I assume it is a platform-independent bug. Can anyone confirm that? I develop on Windows XP at present.

Workarounds for this bug exist I'm not in love with them (inelegant). Regardless, a sketch of what might work without using globals:

def get_all_layers(parent): """-> list. recursively get all layers from either an image, or a GroupLayer Proceeds depth-first.
"""
container=[]
container.append(layer)

for layer in get_all_layers(child.image): if layer.name==child.parent.name: return layer #^ layer will have the proper data-type of gimp.GroupLayer, so return it.
else:

Cheers
- Seldom
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Joao S. O. Bueno
2014-06-20 01:38:28 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Issue fixed in master and 2.8 branch. (It will be generally available as of gimp 2.8.12)

Thanks for spotting that.

js -> wrote:

yes - this is a bug - and it can be open in the bugtracker.

On 18 June 2014 22:41, Seldom Needy wrote:

+--------GROUPLAYER ZERO

image.layers[0]

"""
container=[]
container.append(layer)

else:

Cheers
- Seldom
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Ofnuts
2014-06-20 07:08:59 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

On 20/06/14 03:38, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Issue fixed in master and 2.8 branch. (It will be generally available as of gimp 2.8.12)

While we are at it, it there an explanation why there are both "layers" and "children" attributes in a gimp.GroupLayer, that return essentially the same thing but with a different class;

>>> image=gimp.image_list()[0] >>> g=image.layers[0]
>>> print g

>>> g.children
[, ]
>>> g.layers
[, ]
>>>

In practice, the "children" method is a bit of a pain when you walk the tree, because the image has "layers" but no "children".

But a gimp.Layer has "children" but no "layers"...

All this is highly confusing... with a single "layers" attribute that always returns a GroupLayer when possible things would be simpler IMHO.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2014-06-20 19:30:12 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

On 20 June 2014 04:08, Ofnuts wrote:

On 20/06/14 03:38, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

While we are at it, it there an explanation why there are both "layers" and "children" attributes in a gimp.GroupLayer, that return essentially the same thing but with a different class;

image=gimp.image_list()[0]
g=image.layers[0]
print g

g.children

[, ]

g.layers

[, ]

In practice, the "children" method is a bit of a pain when you walk the tree, because the image has "layers" but no "children".

But a gimp.Layer has "children" but no "layers"...

All this is highly confusing... with a single "layers" attribute that always returns a GroupLayer when possible things would be simpler IMHO.

Hi -
All drawables descend from GIMP Item - which has the "children" property. The GroupLayer class inheritance order, in pygimp is thus: GroupLayer method. Pygimp mimics that, even though no other kind of item, currently, is a container.