RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Creation of a "set of operations" item

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Creation of a "set of operations" item Joao S. O. Bueno 15 Mar 14:27
  Creation of a "set of operations" item Stephen Kiel 16 Mar 02:12
Joao S. O. Bueno
2014-03-15 14:27:08 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi,
I would like to discuss about the possibility of a "Set of operations" GIMP item -

In the current state of GIMP, I think one nice thing to have would be the ability to specify sets of GEGL operations that could be re-used across the UI in some different places.

One example of such "Set of operations" could be, for example, a gaussian blur filter - the set includes the parameters as well. Another example could be a "Resample to 50% size, Unsharp mask" set.

Where could those be used? I thought of primarily two places - with more potential nice places to come along:

1. As an "adjust layer" - just that - have a special Layer class that encapsulates a set of Gegl operations, and apply then to the rendering of the layer imediatelly bellow. This would give us "Adjustment layers" as they are called in other software, essentialy "for free"

2. Attached to an image, as a set to be automatically applied before exporting the image to an specific format.
Currently, the "merge-visible-layers" action is performed at this stage, for most formats. But in some mail-threads here it became clear that the ability to resize an image to an specific size, among other things, could greatly simplify the current workflow for keeping a high-quality XCF image, and exporting incremental versions of down-sampled/filtered versions for production. (Like in edit, save, resize to 50%, export as PNG - undo to further editing the image, and the resize is lost, and must be reapplied when exporting the new version)

And there could be some "bonus places" to attach these "sets of operations":
3. To patterns, before applying them - so that rotation and scaling of patterns would be easy
4. To brush masks, as part of the painting dynamics.

Can we discuss this further along? I know Mitch is experimenting with
operations attached to layers, but I don't know wether they are along thse lines, or more like recording all operations mad in a layer, in an early quest to "non destructive editting".

Maybe there is a roadmap for a similar thing already, that I am not aware of - but having the "sets of operations" behave as regular GIMP items that can be used - and being able to pick/create then at the layers dialog bucket fill tool options, export dialogs, could be a nice way of enabling the possibilities of GEGL and non-destructive editing to end users.

Regards,

js ->

Stephen Kiel
2014-03-16 02:12:48 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Joao,

I would like to comment that this suggestion seems like it would be a real enhancement for gimp. I did a writeup on combining commands for the current / older version of gimp using the python interface at: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Automate_Editing_in_GIMP/. The tutorial talks about combining commands, and in the second part orgainizing them into workflows. It may be possible to use it as a prototype or the start of a list of possibilities. As I have not really been tracking the GEGL development, I can't offer any to the point comments, but I am sure wishing you luck with this idea.

Stephen Kiel

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Hi,
I would like to discuss about the possibility of a "Set of operations" GIMP item -

In the current state of GIMP, I think one nice thing to have would be the ability to specify sets of GEGL operations that could be re-used across the UI in some different places.

One example of such "Set of operations" could be, for example, a gaussian blur filter - the set includes the parameters as well. Another example could be a "Resample to 50% size, Unsharp mask" set.

Where could those be used? I thought of primarily two places - with more potential nice places to come along:

1. As an "adjust layer" - just that - have a special Layer class that encapsulates a set of Gegl operations, and apply then to the rendering of the layer imediatelly bellow. This would give us "Adjustment layers" as they are called in other software, essentialy "for free"

2. Attached to an image, as a set to be automatically applied before exporting the image to an specific format.
Currently, the "merge-visible-layers" action is performed at this stage, for most formats. But in some mail-threads here it became clear that the ability to resize an image to an specific size, among other things, could greatly simplify the current workflow for keeping a high-quality XCF image, and exporting incremental versions of down-sampled/filtered versions for production. (Like in edit, save, resize to 50%, export as PNG - undo to further editing the image, and the resize is lost, and must be reapplied when exporting the new version)

And there could be some "bonus places" to attach these "sets of operations":
3. To patterns, before applying them - so that rotation and scaling of patterns would be easy
4. To brush masks, as part of the painting dynamics.

Can we discuss this further along? I know Mitch is experimenting with
operations attached to layers, but I don't know wether they are along thse lines, or more like recording all operations mad in a layer, in an early quest to "non destructive editting".

Maybe there is a roadmap for a similar thing already, that I am not aware of - but having the "sets of operations" behave as regular GIMP items that can be used - and being able to pick/create then at the layers dialog bucket fill tool options, export dialogs, could be a nice way of enabling the possibilities of GEGL and non-destructive editing to end users.

Regards,

js ->
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Stephen Kiel
26602 Strafford
Mission Viejo, CA 92692
*Mobile/SMS (949) 702-1993*
Home (949) 367-2915
snick.kiel@gmail.com
http://stephenkiel.blogspot.com/