RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Release and translation of textures

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Release and translation of textures Michael Bauer 04 Feb 23:56
  Release and translation of textures Joao S. O. Bueno 05 Feb 23:58
   Release and translation of textures Michael Bauer 06 Feb 01:13
    Release and translation of textures Alexandre Prokoudine 06 Feb 03:52
     Release and translation of textures Alexandre Prokoudine 06 Feb 04:12
      Release and translation of textures Michael Bauer 06 Feb 11:30
       Release and translation of textures Alexandre Prokoudine 06 Feb 11:40
        Release and translation of textures Michael Bauer 06 Feb 11:47
         Release and translation of textures Alexandre Prokoudine 06 Feb 11:51
          Release and translation of textures Michael Bauer 06 Feb 12:24
           Release and translation of textures Alexandre Prokoudine 06 Feb 12:37
            Release and translation of textures Michael Bauer 06 Feb 12:43
Michael Bauer
2014-02-04 23:56:36 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi,

Two questions - I've got the main UI translation for Gaelic (gd) at 97% (some strings I need to check in context) but I was wondering at this point what the process for getting a new locale into release is? Is it automatic or do I need to file a bug and go through a release process?

The other question is about the textures - they are the most noticable non-localized part of the UI at the moment and they're not in the main po. I've looked at the other files with the gimp- prefix on Gnome but can't see them in there either (stuff like Ancrylic, Grass, Smoke...)

What file are they in?

Cheers

Michael

Joao S. O. Bueno
2014-02-05 23:58:33 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 4 February 2014 21:56, Michael Bauer wrote:

Hi,

Two questions - I've got the main UI translation for Gaelic (gd) at 97% (some strings I need to check in context) but I was wondering at this point what the process for getting a new locale into release is? Is it automatic or do I need to file a bug and go through a release process?

The other question is about the textures - they are the most noticable non-localized part of the UI at the moment and they're not in the main po. I've looked at the other files with the gimp- prefix on Gnome but can't see them in there either (stuff like Ancrylic, Grass, Smoke...)

Unfortunately names for GIMP resources - such as textures (patterns), brushes, palettes, gradients are not internationalized, and are untranslatable.

What file are they in?

Cheers

Michael _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Michael Bauer
2014-02-06 01:13:23 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi João,

That sounds really peculiar - why would these be untranslatable?

Michael

05/02/2014 23:58, sgrìobh Joao S. O. Bueno:

Unfortunately names for GIMP resources - such as textures (patterns), brushes, palettes, gradients are not internationalized, and are untranslatable.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-02-06 03:52:40 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Because these file formats have no extractable text data that could be put into PO files.

It's possible to work around it, just not trivial.

Alexandre 06 февр. 2014 г. 5:13 пользователь "Michael Bauer" написал:

Hi João,

Michael

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp- developer-list
List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-02-06 04:12:42 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Or, to be more precise, there are no parsers to extract the text data that is there and prepare it for gettext. Inkscape guys wrote such stuff for e.g. GPL palettes, so it's possible to even translate colors. But we didn't do that.

Alexandre
06 февр. 2014 г. 7:52 пользователь "Alexandre Prokoudine" < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> написал:

Because these file formats have no extractable text data that could be put into PO files.

It's possible to work around it, just not trivial.

Alexandre 06 февр. 2014 г. 5:13 пользователь "Michael Bauer" написал:

Hi João,

Michael

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp- developer-list
List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Michael Bauer
2014-02-06 11:30:22 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Are there plans/other people interested in making this happen?

I'm also still not sure about getting the new loc into 2.10 (if new locs can be added to minor versions) - currently the translations are sitting in master - do I need to work on another file and/or file a bug for the new locale?

Thanks

Michael

06/02/2014 04:12, sgrìobh Alexandre Prokoudine:

Or, to be more precise, there are no parsers to extract the text data that is there and prepare it for gettext. Inkscape guys wrote such stuff for e.g. GPL palettes, so it's possible to even translate colors. But we didn't do that.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-02-06 11:40:55 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Michael Bauer wrote:

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Are there plans/other people interested in making this happen?

Not that I know.

I'm also still not sure about getting the new loc into 2.10 (if new locs can be added to minor versions) - currently the translations are sitting in master - do I need to work on another file and/or file a bug for the new locale?

First of all, master == 2.10 :) There is no branch for 2.10 yet, and there probably won't be any time soon.

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend translating master at all, unless you enjoy doing your work twice :) The 2.8 branch, however, is perfect to get your translation to actual users.

Alexandre

Michael Bauer
2014-02-06 11:47:05 UTC (about 10 years ago)

06/02/2014 11:40, sgrìobh Alexandre Prokoudine:

Not that I know.

Pity but at least I know, thanks!

First of all, master == 2.10 :) There is no branch for 2.10 yet, and there probably won't be any time soon.

Ok

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend translating master at all, unless you enjoy doing your work twice :) The 2.8 branch, however, is perfect to get your translation to actual users.

Grrr that wasn't obvious but ok. If I commit to 2.8, is the process automatic for releasing the new locale to the released GIMP builds?

Michael

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-02-06 11:51:08 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Michael Bauer wrote:

Grrr that wasn't obvious but ok. If I commit to 2.8, is the process automatic for releasing the new locale to the released GIMP builds?

Yes, once the translation is there, it will be used in all builds.

You will have to run 'intltool-update gd' after moving your translation to the branch, though. But I guess you already know that :)

Alexandre

Michael Bauer
2014-02-06 12:24:03 UTC (about 10 years ago)

No, I didn't, thanks for mentioning it, I'm mostly a (very good) translator but not very good at code. There are a lot more people who are good at translating than people who can do both, sadly.

Michael

06/02/2014 11:51, sgrìobh Alexandre Prokoudine:

Yes, once the translation is there, it will be used in all builds.

You will have to run 'intltool-update gd' after moving your translation to the branch, though. But I guess you already know that :)

Alexandre

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-02-06 12:37:09 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Michael Bauer wrote:

No, I didn't, thanks for mentioning it, I'm mostly a (very good) translator but not very good at code. There are a lot more people who are good at translating than people who can do both, sadly.

There's nothing about code or programming here, really :)

You might download POT files from https://l10n.gnome.org/ and update your PO files from those templates in poEdit just as well :)

Alexandre

Michael Bauer
2014-02-06 12:43:03 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Terminal commands for people like me fall under the amorphous category of 'code' ;)

I'm good with the translation side though, thanks, I work in Virtaal where we have a fairly massive TM by now.

Michael

06/02/2014 12:37, sgrìobh Alexandre Prokoudine:

There's nothing about code or programming here, really:)

You might download POT files fromhttps://l10n.gnome.org/ and update your PO files from those templates in poEdit just as well:)

Alexandre