RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GSoC, call for mentors

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GSoC, call for mentors Alexandre Prokoudine 03 Feb 22:05
  GSoC, call for mentors Jehan Pagès 04 Feb 02:48
   GSoC, call for mentors Alexandre Prokoudine 04 Feb 14:44
Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-02-03 22:05:39 UTC (about 10 years ago)

GSoC, call for mentors

Hi,

It appears that I've got myself into administrating GSoC this year, with schumaml being backup admin :)

I know that Jehan was interested in being a mentor, and I guess that mitch will be joining the fun, but I'm not sure that the idea of meta-mentors will be seen by Google all that appealing. So I'd like to get a better understanding where we stand:

1) who is willing and will realistically be able to do the job of a mentor; 2) who is willing and will realistically be able to stick around and be a backup mentor.

Here's the GSoC timeline for you to check against your personal one: http://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014

Just in case, we will be accepting project ideas for both GIMP and GEGL.

An official announcement that we are submitting an application to participate at GSoC again will be sent later.

Alexandre

Jehan Pagès
2014-02-04 02:48:43 UTC (about 10 years ago)

GSoC, call for mentors

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Hi,

It appears that I've got myself into administrating GSoC this year, with schumaml being backup admin :)

I know that Jehan was interested in being a mentor, and I guess that mitch will be joining the fun, but I'm not sure that the idea of meta-mentors will be seen by Google all that appealing. So I'd like to get a better understanding where we stand:

1) who is willing and will realistically be able to do the job of a mentor; 2) who is willing and will realistically be able to stick around and be a backup mentor.

Here's the GSoC timeline for you to check against your personal one: http://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014

I definitely want to do it seriously, but I realize that it starts way sooner than I thought.
Basically I will be more settled from end of May. Before that, my schedule and my internet time will be limited, just like now. It still means that I will read all my emails and will answer them. But it may mean that my response time can be a few days (like it is currently). From end of May though, I can be a full time geek again with its own Internet connection, through all summer.

How would such a thing work with gsoc? Is it acceptable?

On my side, I would concentrate on GIMP side. There are many things that can be improved in GIMP, with or without a GEGL piece too, and I definitely can propose and mentor various projects.

Jehan

An official announcement that we are submitting an application to participate at GSoC again will be sent later.

Alexandre _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-02-04 14:44:56 UTC (about 10 years ago)

GSoC, call for mentors

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Jehan Pags wrote:

I definitely want to do it seriously, but I realize that it starts way sooner than I thought.
Basically I will be more settled from end of May. Before that, my schedule and my internet time will be limited, just like now. It still means that I will read all my emails and will answer them. But it may mean that my response time can be a few days (like it is currently). From end of May though, I can be a full time geek again with its own Internet connection, through all summer.

How would such a thing work with gsoc? Is it acceptable?

It's not exactly desirable, but given enough backup mentors it's acceptable. The trick is to keep a student involved while you are a bit late with replies :) I think we can have a simple protocol to address this:

- get students to hang out on IRC where multiple developers are available; - for email communication, keep admin/backup admin in CC so that absence of replies could be determined and dealt with in a timely manner.

On my side, I would concentrate on GIMP side. There are many things that can be improved in GIMP, with or without a GEGL piece too, and I definitely can propose and mentor various projects.

Awesome :)

Alexandre