RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Would like to work on the color management documentation

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Would like to work on the color management documentation Elle Stone 27 Jan 14:46
  Would like to work on the color management documentation Elle Stone 27 Jan 15:07
   Would like to work on the color management documentation Andrew Douglas Pitonyak 27 Jan 15:11
    Would like to work on the color management documentation Elle Stone 27 Jan 16:02
     Would like to work on the color management documentation Marco Ciampa 27 Jan 16:16
     Would like to work on the color management documentation Elle Stone 27 Jan 22:26
      Would like to work on the color management documentation Róman Joost 29 Jan 06:25
       Would like to work on the color management documentation Elle Stone 29 Jan 14:14
        Would like to work on the color management documentation Andrew Douglas Pitonyak 29 Jan 14:26
         Would like to work on the color management documentation Elle Stone 29 Jan 15:26
          Would like to work on the color management documentation Róman Joost 29 Jan 23:03
     Would like to work on the color management documentation Andrew Douglas Pitonyak 28 Jan 00:37
  Would like to work on the color management documentation Elle Stone 10 Mar 12:10
Elle Stone
2014-01-27 14:46:32 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi All,

I'd like to work on the Gimp color management documentation to add a short explanation of the new monitor and softproofing black point compensation options in the Preferences/Color Management dialog.

I'd also like to make a few changes to some of the other color management documentation, in particular the explanation of the profile conversion intents (perceptual, relative and absolute colorimetric, saturation).

I downloaded and built the from-git documentation. I've read through the various READMEs and such. One of the READMEs says:

You should know a bit about Docbook and XML, or be smart enough to learn the syntax yourself. You can get more information about Docbook and XML by using your preferred search engine.

I don't know anything at all about Docbook and I try very hard not to think about XML except as it applies to image sidecar files.

There's a whole lot about both topics on the internet. How do I learn the very minimum needed to work on Gimp color management documentation? Is there a worked example somewhere? Is there a step-by-step "here's how" guide for people who really, really, really don't want to become docbook/xml experts?

Best regards,

Elle

http://ninedegreesbelow.com
Articles on color management and open source photography
Elle Stone
2014-01-27 15:07:23 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 01/27/2014 09:46 AM, Elle Stone wrote:

There's a whole lot about both topics on the internet. How do I learn the very minimum needed to work on Gimp color management documentation? Is there a worked example somewhere? Is there a step-by-step "here's how" guide for people who really, really, really don't want to become docbook/xml experts?

Hmm, I found the color-management.xml file - that's a start!

Elle

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak
2014-01-27 15:11:38 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 01/27/2014 10:07 AM, Elle Stone wrote:

Hmm, I found the color-management.xml file - that's a start!

I expect that learning to use git and how to build is more of an obstacle than learning enough about docbook since the framework is already in place. It is a bit more difficult if you add or modify a figure, but, if all you do is add / change text, you will probably find it straight forward.

:-)

If you have too much difficulty, volunteers here will probably be happy to review and make final changes to your content to accomplish what is needed.

Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document: http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.odt
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php
Elle Stone
2014-01-27 16:02:39 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 01/27/2014 10:11 AM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

I expect that learning to use git and how to build is more of an obstacle than learning enough about docbook since the framework is already in place. It is a bit more difficult if you add or modify a figure, but, if all you do is add / change text, you will probably find it straight forward.

Andrew, thanks! for words of encouragement.

Somewhere a document says that the Gimp XML lines should be no more than 87(?) characters long. The README says "Use any editor you want, but you should handle it well. Please keep in mind, that the tab width in XML Mode should be 2 spaces."

So any recommendations on an xml editor? Preferably one that can be set to automatically use the right line length and tab width? And preferably can validate?

From my personal point of view, eclipse (too big), vim (never learned), and jedit (I don't like java-based programs) are not options. Currently I use bluefish for html and geany for writing code. A quick search for xml editors that run on Linux turns up too much to choose from, although xmlcopyeditor looks promising.

Also, I can write html as easily as writing plain text. Is there a utility that converts from html to xml? It seems like it might be easier for me to modify "gimp-imaging-color-management.html" and "gimp-pimping.html#gimp-prefs-color-management" to make sure everything looks and reads like I want it to, and then convert the html to xml, if that's possible, and then clean up the resulting xml, if necessary.

Elle

Marco Ciampa
2014-01-27 16:16:58 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:02:39AM -0500, Elle Stone wrote:

Somewhere a document says that the Gimp XML lines should be no more than 87(?) characters long. The README says "Use any editor you want, but you should handle it well. Please keep in mind, that the tab width in XML Mode should be 2 spaces."

So any recommendations on an xml editor? Preferably one that can be set to automatically use the right line length and tab width? And preferably can validate?

From my personal point of view, eclipse (too big), vim (never learned), and jedit (I don't like java-based programs) are not options.

I use Emacs...

Marco Ciampa

"L'utopia sta all'orizzonte. Mi avvicino  di due passi, lei si allontana
di due  passi. Faccio dieci  passi e  l'orizzonte si allontana  di dieci
passi.  Per quanto cammini, non la raggiunger  mai. A cosa serve
l'utopia? A questo: serve a camminare."              Eduardo Galeano

+--------------------+
| Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow   #364 |
+--------------------+
Elle Stone
2014-01-27 22:26:27 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 01/27/2014 11:02 AM, Elle Stone wrote:

It seems like it might be easier
for me to modify "gimp-imaging-color-management.html"

The Gimp help html files are done using Table Layout. I can't read or write Table Layout. Nor can I modify an xml file without knowing ahead of time what the modifications are.

So I pulled all the Gimp help content related to color management into one real html5 file. I'll worry about writing xml after I finish making modifications to this html5 file.

Cheers, Elle

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak
2014-01-28 00:37:19 UTC (about 10 years ago)

I use Linux, what is your operating system?

I installed Kate. I do not remember what I tried before settling on Kate.

http://l10n.kde.org/docs/doc-primer/kate.html

This editor is available for multiple operating systems:

http://xml-copy-editor.sourceforge.net/

I know that I was using it for a while.

From my personal point of view, eclipse (too big), vim (never learned), and jedit (I don't like java-based programs) are not options. Currently I use bluefish for html and geany for writing code. A quick search for xml editors that run on Linux turns up too much to choose from, although xmlcopyeditor looks promising.

Oh, if only I had read a little bit further :-)

I would say that you give one a try and if you really like it, keep using it, otherwise, try another.

I do not remember if you can set margins or not. I have been concentrating on my OpenOffice documentation lately, which I create in OpenOffice.

Also, I can write html as easily as writing plain text. Is there a utility that converts from html to xml? It seems like it might be easier for me to modify "gimp-imaging-color-management.html" and "gimp-pimping.html#gimp-prefs-color-management" to make sure everything looks and reads like I want it to, and then convert the html to xml, if that's possible, and then clean up the resulting xml, if necessary.

Elle

_______________________________________________ gimp-docs-list mailing list
gimp-docs-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs-list

Andrew Pitonyak
Róman Joost
2014-01-29 06:25:44 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Dear Elle,

Welcome! Sorry that you have to jump through so many hoops for modifying our content.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 05:26:27PM -0500, Elle Stone wrote:

It seems like it might be easier
for me to modify "gimp-imaging-color-management.html"

The Gimp help html files are done using Table Layout. I can't read or write Table Layout. Nor can I modify an xml file without knowing ahead of time what the modifications are.

So I pulled all the Gimp help content related to color management into one real html5 file. I'll worry about writing xml after I finish making modifications to this html5 file.

I think it is easier for authors on this mailing list to use modified content in XML. Don't worry if the tags are all messed up (there is `make validate-en` for that) or the formatting is off. It is easier to fix that automatically from our perspective. HTML and XML are unfortunately not exactly the same.

As Andrew suggested, I'd certainly try different editors.

I know it is a big burden, but currently the only option we have which would make a good contribution. There are ideas to move forward, but not in place yet.

Kind Regards,

Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de
email: romanofski@gimp.org
Elle Stone
2014-01-29 14:14:14 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 01/29/2014 01:25 AM, Róman Joost wrote: >> On 01/27/2014 11:02 AM, Elle Stone wrote: >> So I pulled all the Gimp help content related to color management >> into one real html5 file.

To modify the Gimp help documentation related to color management, personally I need to **see** the changes in the context of the html as viewed by someone consulting the help documentation.

After making changes to my html5 mockup, I'll transcribe the changes to the relevant XML files and (try to, assuming it's not too different from submitting a code patch) create a patch.

My apologies! for bothering you all with this. I should have persisted a little longer in trying to figure out how to approach the problem before writing to the list. It's **my** problem, not **your** problem, that I can't directly modify an XML file and then visualize the resulting html!

Elle

Elle Stone
http://ninedegreesbelow.com
Articles on color management and open source photography
Andrew Douglas Pitonyak
2014-01-29 14:26:44 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 01/29/2014 09:14 AM, Elle Stone wrote:

On 01/29/2014 01:25 AM, Róman Joost wrote:

On 01/27/2014 11:02 AM, Elle Stone wrote: So I pulled all the Gimp help content related to color management into one real html5 file.

To modify the Gimp help documentation related to color management, personally I need to **see** the changes in the context of the html as viewed by someone consulting the help documentation.

After making changes to my html5 mockup, I'll transcribe the changes to the relevant XML files and (try to, assuming it's not too different from submitting a code patch) create a patch.

My apologies! for bothering you all with this. I should have persisted a little longer in trying to figure out how to approach the problem before writing to the list. It's **my** problem, not **your** problem, that I can't directly modify an XML file and then visualize the resulting html!

Don't forget that when you modify the XML, you can then build the documentation and see how it looks. Simple changes, such as adding a paragraph are easy to visualize. The more difficult things are related to inserting figures and such.

Are you been able to build and then view the resulting documentation?

Andrew Pitonyak
Elle Stone
2014-01-29 15:26:39 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 01/29/2014 09:26 AM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

I built gimp-docs using these commands: ~/code/gimp-help-2 $ ALL_LINGUAS='en' ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/elle/code/gimp-help-2/run --without-gimp make
make install

It seemed to build and install with no problem. The documentation was in the html folder and was viewable.

Elle

Róman Joost
2014-01-29 23:03:46 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 10:26:39AM -0500, Elle Stone wrote:

On 01/29/2014 09:26 AM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

I built gimp-docs using these commands: ~/code/gimp-help-2 $ ALL_LINGUAS='en' ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/elle/code/gimp-help-2/run --without-gimp make
make install

It seemed to build and install with no problem. The documentation was in the html folder and was viewable.

You don't necessarily need to install the documentation, since you can just browse it with a web browser. That will at least save you a headache in case the installation doesn't correctly update the documentation with your changes. (Even tho it seems to be working).

Kind Regards,

Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de
email: romanofski@gimp.org
Elle Stone
2014-03-10 12:10:27 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi All,

I'd like to work on the Gimp color management documentation to add a short explanation of the new monitor and softproofing black point compensation options in the Preferences/Color Management dialog.

I'd also like to make a few changes to some of the other color management documentation, in particular the explanation of the profile conversion intents (perceptual, relative and absolute colorimetric, saturation).

Having read through the existing GIMP color management documentation several times over, it seems to me that starting over from scratch is a good idea.

I've rewritten Chapter 11. I'd like some feedback before I go any farther: Is what I've written the type of material that's wanted in GIMP documentation? Any suggestions for improving what I've written?

I think it would be better for users who consult the GIMP documentation if all the sections of the documentation that pertain to color management were collected into Chapter 11, with links to the appropriate sections of Chapter 11 from Chapters 8 (the View menu, Filters) and 12 (Preferences/Color Management). That way background information needed to understand the available GIMP color management options would be readily available, all on one interlinked page.

Here's a link to what I've written so far:

http://ninedegreesbelow.com/gimpgit/gimpdoc/gimp-doc-chapter-11.html

Here's an outline:

A. Introduction to color management B. Calibrating and profiling your monitor C. What is color?
D. Color gamuts
E. Soft proofing
F. GIMP-specific information
1. open/assign/convert
2. unbounded mode high bit depth color conversions 3. global and per image color management and soft proofing options G. Links to more information

Sections A and B are complete except for revisions. Sections C and D each need one additional subsection to be written. Sections E, F, and G are currently just placeholders.

Kind regards,

Elle Stone