RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

The downloads page could use a bit more hinting about what to click on

This discussion is connected to the gimp-web-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

The downloads page could use a bit more hinting about what to click on Scott Ritchie 30 Dec 20:46
  The downloads page could use a bit more hinting about what to click on Alexandre Prokoudine 31 Dec 10:39
   The downloads page could use a bit more hinting about what to click on Michael Schumacher 31 Dec 11:24
    The downloads page could use a bit more hinting about what to click on Shawn Amundson 31 Dec 22:30
     The downloads page could use a bit more hinting about what to click on Michael Schumacher 31 Dec 22:41
Scott Ritchie
2013-12-30 20:46:38 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Here is an email I got from my mother:

--

Scott I was looking online at drawing techniques when I found that someone recommended GIMP. GIMP is which is supposed to be an open source image editing software that is a free alternative to Adobe Photoshop and other commercial applications generally used by Linux users. Have you heard of it? When I went to the website it directed me to another website where I had do some programing after I downloaded it. Mom

wikiHow install GIMP

first website http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

second website http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

--

She's not a sophisticated computer user (though she has done graphic design). I believe she just failed to download gimp entirely and instead got lost on the page's md5 sums and references to source code, never actually seeing the small download link after the first block of text.

I would suggest instead of having the link she needs to click be titled "HTTP" there instead be a clickable obvious button of some sort with active verbs, like "Download Gimp for Windows". A larger icon to set it apart might also help.

Thanks, Scott Ritchie

Alexandre Prokoudine
2013-12-31 10:39:10 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM, Scott Ritchie wrote:

Here is an email I got from my mother:

--

Scott I was looking online at drawing techniques when I found that someone recommended GIMP. GIMP is which is supposed to be an open source image editing software that is a free alternative to Adobe Photoshop and other commercial applications generally used by Linux users. Have you heard of it? When I went to the website it directed me to another website where I had do some programing after I downloaded it. Mom

wikiHow install GIMP

Scott, I'm not sure what it has to do with gimp.org at all. We don't maintain wikihow.

first website
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

This one is an older website. People shouldn't end up there at all these days.

second website
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

This is the recommend location for downloading, and for Windows users we don't show MD5 or stuff. The download link is quite obvious.

It _could_ be a button indeed. Something to work on in due time.

Alexandre

Michael Schumacher
2013-12-31 11:24:10 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 31.12.2013 11:39, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

second website

This is the recommend location for downloading, and for Windows users we don't show MD5 or stuff. The download link is quite obvious.

What has to be considered here is the overwhelming number of button-look-a-likes that lead users to malicious copies of the software they want - we should not contribute to this automatic behavior, if is one of the reasons why we left SF, after all.

I'd suggest that we make 'Download GIMP 2.8.10' a link to the HTTP url as well, and keep the rest as-is.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Shawn Amundson
2013-12-31 22:30:20 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 5:24 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

On 31.12.2013 11:39, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

second website

What has to be considered here is the overwhelming number of button-look-a-likes that lead users to malicious copies of the software they want - we should not contribute to this automatic behavior, if is one of the reasons why we left SF, after all.

I'd suggest that we make 'Download GIMP 2.8.10' a link to the HTTP url as well, and keep the rest as-is.

The organization of the page seems a bit dated or biased. The users most likely to actually want to download are Windows and MacOS X users (since Linux users are more likely to use their distribution's packaging system), and those links are hidden behind a "Show other downloads" link. That makes it non-obvious for those users.

-Shawn

Shawn T. Amundson
Michael Schumacher
2013-12-31 22:41:46 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 31.12.2013 23:30, Shawn Amundson wrote:

The organization of the page seems a bit dated or biased. The users most likely to actually want to download are Windows and MacOS X users (since Linux users are more likely to use their distribution's packaging system), and those links are hidden behind a "Show other downloads" link. That makes it non-obvious for those users.

It did this because you are using a Linux or Unix platform. If you are using a Windows platform, it'll show the Windows download links and hide the others. And this seems to work pretty well.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD