RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Bug 719435

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Bug 719435 Hodgin, Rick C. 30 Nov 21:53
  Bug 719435 Ofnuts 01 Dec 17:15
   Bug 719435 Rick C. Hodgin 02 Dec 00:10
    Bug 719435 Ofnuts 02 Dec 08:36
     Bug 719435 Hodgin, Rick C. 02 Dec 17:45
      Bug 719435 Ofnuts 02 Dec 23:33
Hodgin, Rick C.
2013-11-30 21:53:45 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Bug 719435

I was asked by Michael Natterer to discuss this enhancement on the GIMP developer list.
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=719435

Basically, I'd like to see the line cue for the Pen tool colorized when either of the two X,Y axis offsets are 0, or when their absolute values are equal (or have it match the existing angles used for snapping, though I personally only use the 45 degree angle setting often).

This colorization cue would be visible without activating snapping, and would simply change the line color when those conditions are met.

I have no other reason for wanting it except that I think it is difficult to see when the line is at exactly 45 degrees since it uses such a smooth anti-aliasing algorithm, and that it would provide added value, be a nice helpful feature, and something that I've wanted in GIMP for quite some time. :-)

Best regards, Rick C. Hodgin

Ofnuts
2013-12-01 17:15:34 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Bug 719435

On 11/30/2013 10:53 PM, Hodgin, Rick C. wrote:

I was asked by Michael Natterer to discuss this enhancement on the GIMP developer list.

Basically, I'd like to see the line cue for the Pen tool colorized when either of the two X,Y axis offsets are 0, or when their absolute values are equal (or have it match the existing angles used for snapping, though I personally only use the 45 degree angle setting often).

This colorization cue would be visible without activating snapping, and would simply change the line color when those conditions are met.

I have no other reason for wanting it except that I think it is difficult to see when the line is at exactly 45 degrees since it uses such a smooth anti-aliasing algorithm, and that it would provide added value, be a nice helpful feature, and something that I've wanted in GIMP for quite some time. :-)

How would that be better than the current "constrained angles"?

Rick C. Hodgin
2013-12-02 00:10:50 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Bug 719435

On 12/01/2013 12:15 PM, Ofnuts wrote:

It would cue automatically without constraining. As the cursor moves around, the colors would indicate alignments. It could be used to examine existing image content, or to help align new.

Ofnuts
2013-12-02 08:36:22 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Bug 719435

On 12/02/2013 01:10 AM, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:

It would cue automatically without constraining. As the cursor moves around, the colors would indicate alignments. It could be used to examine existing image content, or to help align new.

First, unless we introduce some error margin the cue could be rather elusive because you would have to be on the right pixel (and stay there).

Second, I don't see the logic of checking if you are at 45 and not draw the line in a paint tool. If you want to check alignments, the right tool would be the Measure tool. Having display changes (color or else, there are color-blind users) on some angles (and perhaps distances) could be useful there (one more Tool option, and with the caveat about elusiveness). And as a reminder, the Measure tool also has constrained angles (so you can move the second measure point along an accurate vertical/horizontal/diagonal), and will let you to position H/V/H+V guides where the cursor is. So using both capabilities together you can easily define some point at 45 from an existing point(*)

(*) Note to the devs: Currently using the constrained angles disables snapping to guides and path. Having both together would be useful: draw the perpendicular to a line through a given point, etc...

Hodgin, Rick C.
2013-12-02 17:45:18 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Bug 719435

On 2013-12-02 03:36, Ofnuts wrote:

First, unless we introduce some error margin the cue could be rather elusive because you would have to be on the right pixel (and stay there).

Second, I don't see the logic of checking if you are at 45° and not draw the line in a paint tool. If you want to check alignments, the right tool would be the Measure tool. Having display changes (color or else, there are color-blind users) on some angles (and perhaps distances) could be useful there (one more Tool option, and with the caveat about elusiveness). And as a reminder, the Measure tool also has constrained angles (so you can move the second measure point along an accurate vertical/horizontal/diagonal), and will let you to position H/V/H+V guides where the cursor is. So using both capabilities together you can easily define some point at 45° from an existing point(*)

(*) Note to the devs: Currently using the constrained angles disables snapping to guides and path. Having both together would be useful: draw the perpendicular to a line through a given point, etc...

First, ofnuts, if you're the one who decides whether or not a new feature is included, I hereby withdraw my request and will cease all further input into GIMP.

Second, it would be while you're on the correct pixel only. If using fractional pixels (floans), then whenever integer rounding places you on that pixel it would highlight.

Third, it's for while you're already doing something on the image using that tool. The cue would provide useful information from time to time, for very little additional programming as the line cure must already redraw itself as the mouse moves. A simple test when rendering onto the output window and you're there.

Forth, as for changing the color, make it an option that must be enabled and let the user decide their own color. Or, make it a non color feature -- such as an alternating white/black dotted line cue on a 250ms timer. Lots of possibilities.

Ofnuts
2013-12-02 23:33:02 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Bug 719435

On 12/02/2013 06:45 PM, Hodgin, Rick C. wrote:

On 2013-12-02 03:36, Ofnuts wrote:

Second, I don't see the logic of checking if you are at 45° and not draw the line in a paint tool. If you want to check alignments, the right tool would be the Measure tool. Having display changes (color or else, there are color-blind users) on some angles (and perhaps distances) could be useful there (one more Tool option, and with the caveat about elusiveness). And as a reminder, the Measure tool also has constrained angles (so you can move the second measure point along an accurate vertical/horizontal/diagonal), and will let you to position H/V/H+V guides where the cursor is. So using both capabilities together you can easily define some point at 45° from an existing point(*)

First, ofnuts, if you're the one who decides whether or not a new feature is included, I hereby withdraw my request and will cease all further input into GIMP.

I don't decide anything here. Gimp development is an ergocracy. Those who work decide. I can at best voice an opinion.

Here, I'm merely answering your call for "discussion". I'm sorry I'm the only one to answer that call. And "discussion" is not "automatic approval".

Second, it would be while you're on the correct pixel only. If using fractional pixels (floans), then whenever integer rounding places you on that pixel it would highlight.

Third, it's for while you're already doing something on the image using that tool. The cue would provide useful information from time to time, for very little additional programming as the line cure must already redraw itself as the mouse moves. A simple test when rendering onto the output window and you're there.

The SMOP is in the eye of the feature requester :)

I still don't understand what you gain by knowing if your latest mouse movement puts you on a diagonal, versus just asking Gimp to put you there when you need it (constrained angles). And even more so on the paint tools, where the line indicates where the stroke will be.