RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Removed wildcard rules from operations Makefiles

This discussion is connected to the gegl-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Removed wildcard rules from operations Makefiles Daniel Sabo 29 Nov 21:25
  Removed wildcard rules from operations Makefiles Øyvind Kolås 30 Nov 13:57
Daniel Sabo
2013-11-29 21:25:51 UTC (over 10 years ago)

I have removed the custom wildcard rules from the operations/ directories. This was necessary to get automake's dependency tracking working. The downside of this is that you need to remember to add a new operation to Makefile.am in order to build it. The upside is that things will now actually build / not build as they should, which is especially an improvement for things that include .cl.h files from opencl/.

As long as your operation source file matches the name of your library you only need to add a foo.la rule to op_LTLIBRARIES in the appropriate directory.

Also, if you get errors about missing .Plo files you need to rerun autogen (it gets very annoyed when the targets exist but the dependency list is missing).

Øyvind Kolås
2013-11-30 13:57:16 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 10:25 PM, Daniel Sabo wrote:

I have removed the custom wildcard rules from the operations/ directories. This was necessary to get automake's dependency tracking working. The downside of this is that you need to remember to add a new operation to Makefile.am in order to build it. The upside is that things will now actually build / not build as they should, which is especially an improvement for things that include .cl.h files from opencl/.

I want GEGL to keep the build-system interaction neccesary for novice and advanced users as low as possible, making the threshold to contribute what most developers contributing to GEGL will be contributing to.. (tests/operations). This is the reason for the wildcards. Some wildcard mechanisms have been removed in the past and increasing the number of files you need to touch/know about invariably leads to fewer contributions to those parts, both from others and me.

I am against such changes at least in the common/ directory. It also makes keeping a local set of operations, not yet under version control, in sync with upstream harder. For the CL files - it might be better to move them adjecant to the .c files when they correspond to single ops; and have rules about how to deal with

opname.c opname.cl
opname.cl.h

all co-existing in the same directory.

/yvind Kols