RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

UI theme for GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

UI theme for GIMP scl 28 Nov 07:01
  UI theme for GIMP Jehan Pagès 28 Nov 09:52
  UI theme for GIMP Przemyslaw Golab 28 Nov 12:29
   UI theme for GIMP Gez 28 Nov 17:01
scl
2013-11-28 07:01:35 UTC (over 10 years ago)

UI theme for GIMP

Hi,

the topic to equip GIMP with a better UI theme has come up from time to time and especially recently.

I have set up a wiki page for our work on this: http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Specs:UI_Theme (conditional to find a better place).

Comments are welcome.

Kind regards,

Sven

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-28 09:52:04 UTC (over 10 years ago)

UI theme for GIMP

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM, scl wrote:

Hi,

the topic to equip GIMP with a better UI theme has come up from time to time and especially recently.

I have set up a wiki page for our work on this: http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Specs:UI_Theme (conditional to find a better place).

Cool, thanks.

Comments are welcome.

I think we all agree that the existing default themes (the ones named "Default" and "Small") won't disappear. And that seems to be confirmed by what you wrote on the wiki page: "It's no aim to supersede the current GIMP themes 'Default' and 'Small'. They shall reside as 'System' themes".

Then I have 2 questions:

1/ Will the symbolic themes be the new default? Which one? Dark one (with light icons) or light one (with dark icons)?

2/ Can we still have the Default/Small colored icons evolved? I feel that some people may prefer to keep the older theme. And I guess there are for every taste. And I can definitely see some evolution. I think the color icons are not that bad. Yet some icons could definitely be redrawn.

Thanks.

Jehan

Kind regards,

Sven
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list

Przemyslaw Golab
2013-11-28 12:29:59 UTC (over 10 years ago)

UI theme for GIMP

In my opinion a good addition to goals of this project would be optional version of the theme with slimmer widgets in vertical space. This would aid in situations when current sizes make user to scroll a lot while working.

or/and

In Blender users can adjust DPI of the UI making widgets smaller or bigger as they wish. Maybe something like that would be good option for solving problem with different, too small or too big, screen resolutions?

If I can help by any means send me a note. I would try to be available on IRC.

2013/11/28 scl

Hi,

Comments are welcome.

Kind regards,

Sven

Gez
2013-11-28 17:01:45 UTC (over 10 years ago)

UI theme for GIMP

El jue, 28-11-2013 a las 13:29 +0100, Przemyslaw Golab escribió:

In Blender users can adjust DPI of the UI making widgets smaller or bigger as they wish. Maybe something like that would be good option for solving problem with different, too small or too big, screen resolutions?

Using the DPI setting for changing the UI widgets and text is plain wrong. The DPI selector should be used to set the right DPI for the screen, so the UI looks consistent in different screen sizes (i.e.: No tiny buttons on large, high resolution screens and no gigantic buttons on old CRTs).
What Andrew Price suggested in his UI videos is a misuse of something that was designed for a different purpose.

Of course, that doesn't mean a UI "scaling" factor can't be used. But I think that we should be better ask our usability expert for recommentation of real-world sizes for the UI elements based on the best performance of readability and usability, so the default theme is designed around it.

If a particular user wants larger buttons or dialogs, I think it falls in the theme customisation territory. I don't think programs should provide such specific features (that are, at the same time, unrelated to the program's main goals).

Gez.