RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X scl 24 Nov 09:59
  GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X Simone Karin Lehmann 24 Nov 17:02
   GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X scl 26 Nov 20:12
  GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X Jehan Pagès 26 Nov 22:20
  GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X Partha Bagchi 04 Dec 22:50
   GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X Jehan Pagès 04 Dec 23:42
    GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X Jehan Pagès 05 Dec 03:28
     GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X Partha Bagchi 05 Dec 10:55
      GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X Maurizio Loreti 05 Dec 11:16
       GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X Michael Schumacher 05 Dec 11:40
      GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X Jehan Pagès 09 Dec 07:17
       GIMP release: 2.8.10 request, OS X Partha Bagchi 09 Dec 10:30
scl
2013-11-24 09:59:42 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

today there was [bugreport] about outdated builds for OSX.

One reason for not being able to provide an official GIMP 2.8.8. on OS X build were serious issues on OS X Mavericks, for instance the [showstopper in the Text tool]. These have been solved in the meantime (thanks especially to Simone Karin Lehmann, Michael Natterer and Daniel Sabo).

Therefore I think we should bring out GIMP 2.8.10 soon, including an official OS X build (preferably also for some older OS X versions). As far as I know Claytons build is at the ready. All we need is a 2.8.10 bump, don't we?

This situation shows us another weakness again: there are at least four people working on an OS X release: Clayton Walker, Simone Karin Lehmann, Partha Bagchi and David Evans (Macports), not to mention the (still active?) maintainer of the outdated Fink build and the various people building GIMP on their own Macs. All of them do it in their rare spare time. All of them struggle alone with the special build issues of GIMP on OS X, its dependencies and the API incompatibilities between the various OS X versions.
Can you guys and girls please find a way to work together? What makes it so hard to speak to another at the mailing list or IRC and unite your forces? Come on, we don't bite ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Sven

[bugreport]: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=715094

[showstopper in the Text tool]: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711281

Simone Karin Lehmann
2013-11-24 17:02:12 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi everybody,

Am 24.11.2013 um 10:59 schrieb scl :

Hi,

One reason for not being able to provide an official GIMP 2.8.8. on OS X build were serious issues on OS X Mavericks, for instance the [showstopper in the Text tool]. These have been solved in the meantime (thanks especially to Simone Karin Lehmann, Michael Natterer and Daniel Sabo).

Therefore I think we should bring out GIMP 2.8.10 soon, including an official OS X build (preferably also for some older OS X versions). As far as I know Claytons build is at the ready. All we need is a 2.8.10 bump, don't we?

arrhhhg no, Ive just released a bundle for 2.8.8. ( and I dont wont to redo some of the patches right now.)

This situation shows us another weakness again: there are at least four people working on an OS X release: Clayton Walker, Simone Karin Lehmann, Partha Bagchi and David Evans (Macports), not to mention the (still active?) maintainer of the outdated Fink build and the various people building GIMP on their own Macs. All of them do it in their rare spare time. All of them struggle alone with the special build issues of GIMP on OS X, its dependencies and the API incompatibilities between the various OS X versions. Can you guys and girls please find a way to work together?

well, long story, at least from my point of view. Ill try the short version. (the first version of this post was way longer .-) )

Years ago, there was no GIMP for the mac besides MacPorts or Fink. Both were IMO not suited for casual Mac users. Some day I got a hint from another Mac user, Christoph Schrder, how to use MacPorts to ease the build process for GIMP (so basically hes the one who started that all. Thanks, Christoph). So I hacked MacPorts a lot and finally got a development environment very well suited for GIMP. I could built for all OS versions, cross compile for all architectures, patch every source I wanted and include as many plugins as I wanted. Everything was fine.

But differences came. Mainly about on what to focus the efforts. Plugins vs. stock GIMP, specialized development environment vs. generic environment (MacPorts / jhbuild), specialized patches vs. generic ones. And from what I see now in various projects and sources: NSObject classes vs. CoreFoundation.

I' focusing on plugins, specialized environment, specialized patches and NSObject classes.

What makes it so hard to speak to another at the mailing list or IRC

mainly that I have only very limited time and, that I dont like IRC and, well, my bad english.

and unite your forces? Come on, we don't bite ;-)

Neither I do.

So Ill give it a try.

Simone Karin Lehmann

stay hungry, stay foolish

scl
2013-11-26 20:12:42 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi Simone,

nice to read from you! It has been quite a long time we had mail contact.

On 26.11.2013 at 8:32 PM Simone Karin Lehmann wrote:

Hi everybody,

Am 24.11.2013 um 10:59 schrieb scl :

Can you guys and girls please find a way to work together?

well, long story, at least from my point of view. Ill try the short version. (the first version of this post was way longer .-) )
Years ago, there was no GIMP for the mac besides MacPorts or Fink. [...]
But differences came. Mainly about on what to focus the efforts.

> Plugins vs. stock GIMP, specialized development environment vs.

generic environment (MacPorts / jhbuild), specialized patches vs. generic ones. And from what I see now in various projects and

> sources: NSObject classes vs. CoreFoundation.

I' focusing on plugins, specialized environment,

> specialized patches and NSObject classes.

Yes, I read about that sad story. I don't know every detail of our OS X builds, but I think a solution could be negotiated. At least working together could ease our all work on both sides.

What makes it so hard to speak to another at the mailing list or IRC

mainly that I have only very limited time and, that I dont like IRC and, well, my bad english.

I understand. At least the first is IMO a common problem in almost every free-time voluntary commitment. Welcome to the club. Don't worry about bad English: nobody's perfect and as yet we're understanding each other. In case of serious language trouble I'm offering help in translation.

and unite your forces? Come on, we don't bite ;-)

Neither I do.
So Ill give it a try.

That's a nice start!
You're welcome and can reach us per mail, mailing list or in #gimp at irc.gimp.org or - if you like - at next years [Libre Graphics Meeting] in Leipzig/Germany.

Greetings,

Sven

[Libre Graphics Meeting]: http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2014/

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-26 22:20:51 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM, scl wrote:

Hi,

This situation shows us another weakness again: there are at least four people working on an OS X release: Clayton Walker, Simone Karin Lehmann, Partha Bagchi and David Evans (Macports), not to mention the (still active?) maintainer of the outdated Fink build and the various people building GIMP on their own Macs. All of them do it in their rare spare time. All of them struggle alone with the special build issues of GIMP on OS X, its dependencies and the API incompatibilities between the various OS X versions.
Can you guys and girls please find a way to work together? What makes it so hard to speak to another at the mailing list or IRC and unite your forces? Come on, we don't bite ;-)

A little in-topic and off-topic about the Windows build! Could we make sure that all patches of third party that we know of are used for the official release this time? In particular, all relevant patches applied to the nightly build! Because the last GIMP 2.8.8 for Windows release still had bugs that were already fixed on the nightly builds.

I see in particular 2 bugs related to fontconfig (there may be other patches I don't know of, better ask Drawoc and check the dir build/windows/jhbuild/patches/):

- The conf.d path bug: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=708110 Fixed either with patch in the repo: build/windows/jhbuild/patches/fontconfig-fix-config-dir.patch Or by using fontconfig >= 2.11.0

- Better fontconfig cache directory: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=703331 Still in discussion upstream, but if we feel this is the way, we can already apply the patch available there: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71691

A small in-topic note, back to OSX build: Clayton Walker proposed to update the cache directory for the OSX build, but it has been rejected upstream: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71715

Well maybe all the OSX package maintainers and developers in our team could discuss this, and if they all agreed a change in fontconfig cache was in order for the OSX build, well you can configure it appropriately. Even though a change upstream is nicer, that's still only a configuration change, so we should do it.

If that helped people, we can also organize a small release meeting? In any case, I really agree with Sven, that we can really improve the quality of our releases, whether on OSX (with package dispersion) or Windows (synchronisation with nightly and stable).

Regards,

Jehan

Thanks in advance,

Sven

[bugreport]: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=715094

[showstopper in the Text tool]: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711281 _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list

Partha Bagchi
2013-12-04 22:50:08 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi Sven,

Have been away for the Thanksgiving holidays.:)

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 4:59 AM, scl wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for mentioning me. :)

I am happy to collaborate with anyone on my builds. Note that I build Gimp and all dependencies from scratch using OSX gcc version 4.2.1; that is, I build gtk+, glib, pango, cairo etc. etc. etc. and then I build Gimp. I also include plugins that I believe are useful to photographers, well at least useful to me.

Finally, it's not really feasible for me to come to IRC and hence I loose out on some of those discussion.

Thanks in advance,

Sven

Thanks again,
Partha

[bugreport]:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=715094

[showstopper in the Text tool]: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711281 _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp- developer-list

Jehan Pagès
2013-12-04 23:42:06 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

Hi Sven,

Hi,

I am happy to collaborate with anyone on my builds. Note that I build Gimp and all dependencies from scratch using OSX gcc version 4.2.1; that is, I build gtk+, glib, pango, cairo etc. etc. etc. and then I build Gimp. I also include plugins that I believe are useful to photographers, well at least useful to me.

This would be very nice.
I have a few questions:
1/ Do you patch GIMP? Is it the reason why you make your own GIMP build? If so, would you please contribute us all your patches? We would be happy to check them and see what can be merged in our own source. We are already working on merging some of Simone Karin Lehmann's patches to improve our OSX code. 2/ Do you patch some of the third parties? GTK+, glib, etc. If so, have you tried to contributing upstream to these various projects? 3/ What is exactly the list of plugins you include in your build? 3/ Is there anything else which would prevent you to work with us on delivering a robust upstream OSX build (faster than currently after a source release!) instead of duplicating the work? Note that we have obviously nothing about third party builds. If you really wish to, you can still make your own builds (maybe slightly different), even though you would help us making the upstream one. But even so, this could profit to all of us, for instance by sharing build systems, thus improving the procedure.
Ideally we could automatize all builds for very easy and early release!

The way I see it, if we find a way to automatize builds, then we could generate them on a server with no further human input, and available for testers, which would make releases very easy to test (and regenerate in case of issue) before any release.

Finally, it's not really feasible for me to come to IRC and hence I loose out on some of those discussion.

Why is that? As I said to Simone too, I am not fond of IRC myself and probably don't connect as much as the other contributors, but I make some time to hang around there. If this is the price of collaboration, it is not too high. Or is that a technical impossibility? (behind some port-blocking firewall in a company or something?)

Thanks!

Jehan

Thanks in advance,

Sven

Thanks again,
Partha

[bugreport]:

List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp- developer-list

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list

Jehan Pagès
2013-12-05 03:28:58 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi again!

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi,

Hi Sven,

Hi,

This would be very nice.
I have a few questions:
1/ Do you patch GIMP? Is it the reason why you make your own GIMP build? If so, would you please contribute us all your patches? We would be happy to check them and see what can be merged in our own source. We are already working on merging some of Simone Karin Lehmann's patches to improve our OSX code. 2/ Do you patch some of the third parties? GTK+, glib, etc. If so, have you tried to contributing upstream to these various projects? 3/ What is exactly the list of plugins you include in your build? 3/ Is there anything else which would prevent you to work with us on delivering a robust upstream OSX build (faster than currently after a source release!) instead of duplicating the work? Note that we have obviously nothing about third party builds. If you really wish to, you can still make your own builds (maybe slightly different), even though you would help us making the upstream one. But even so, this could profit to all of us, for instance by sharing build systems, thus improving the procedure.

The way I see it, if we find a way to automatize builds, then we could generate them on a server with no further human input, and available for testers, which would make releases very easy to test (and regenerate in case of issue) before any release.

By the way! Since you also maintain a Windows build, all above questions would also pertain to your Windows build!

Jehan

Why is that? As I said to Simone too, I am not fond of IRC myself and probably don't connect as much as the other contributors, but I make some time to hang around there. If this is the price of collaboration, it is not too high. Or is that a technical impossibility? (behind some port-blocking firewall in a company or something?)

Thanks!

Jehan

Thanks in advance,

Sven

Thanks again,
Partha

[bugreport]:

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list

Partha Bagchi
2013-12-05 10:55:12 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi Jehan,

I don't patch Gimp anymore. In the past I did due to issues with language UI, file size issues on Windows, etc. I feel that the source is quite mature and does not need patching.

I started building the Windows version back during Gimp 2.7.1 when there were no betas available and also no 64-bit python. I also wanted a pure 64-bit build. So, I took it upon myself to learn how to build all the dependencies and build Gimp. Similarly, I started building the OSX version when there was no pure OSX version and I wanted to learn how to build an app for Mac, and hence McGimp.

For your question 3a ( you have 3 twice ;) ) - I have always mentioned the plugins I consider useful for photography on my website. I am reproducing the list here for completeness - you can always get the latest list from my builds:
1. G'MIC
2. Simple Bilateral Blur (edge preserving smoothing) 3. Save and Export
4. Resynthesizer
5. Refocus-it
6. David's Batch Processor
7. Exif-Browser
8. Wavelet-Denoise
9. Wavelet-Sharpen
10. Wavelet-Decompose
11. Texture Tiler
12. Fix Chromatic Aberration
13. Satequalizer (saturation equalizer) 14. Advance Unsharp Mask
15. Liquid Scaling (liquid rescale)
16. Separate+ (color management in Gimp) 17. Advanced Tone Mapping (faux HDR) 18. Recover Shadows and Highlights
19. ShellOut
20. BIMP

For question 3b, nothing prevents me from working with you. I think I do bring whatever issues I find to everyone's attention here.

Finally as far as IRC is concerned, I have absolutely nothing against it and would have loved to participate. However, I just don't have the time.

All the above I am doing as a hobby and I told you why I started it. I have not stopped since I have heard from a lot of people that they like my builds with all the plugins in one place and the 64-bit builds.

Hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Partha

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Jehan Pags wrote:

Hi again!

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Jehan Pags wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Partha Bagchi

wrote:

Hi Sven,

Hi,

I am happy to collaborate with anyone on my builds. Note that I build

Gimp

and all dependencies from scratch using OSX gcc version 4.2.1; that is,

I

build gtk+, glib, pango, cairo etc. etc. etc. and then I build Gimp. I

also

include plugins that I believe are useful to photographers, well at

least

useful to me.

This would be very nice.
I have a few questions:

By the way! Since you also maintain a Windows build, all above questions would also pertain to your Windows build!

Jehan

Finally, it's not really feasible for me to come to IRC and hence I

loose

out on some of those discussion.

Thanks!

Jehan

Thanks in advance,

Sven

Thanks again,
Partha

[bugreport]:

List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:

https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list

Maurizio Loreti
2013-12-05 11:16:38 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Could I add a request for the OS X developement? Please, PLEASE, support retina displays!

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

Hi Jehan,

I don't patch Gimp anymore. In the past I did due to issues with language UI, file size issues on Windows, etc. I feel that the source is quite mature and does not need patching.

I started building the Windows version back during Gimp 2.7.1 when there were no betas available and also no 64-bit python. I also wanted a pure 64-bit build. So, I took it upon myself to learn how to build all the dependencies and build Gimp. Similarly, I started building the OSX version when there was no pure OSX version and I wanted to learn how to build an app for Mac, and hence McGimp.

For your question 3a ( you have 3 twice ;) ) - I have always mentioned the plugins I consider useful for photography on my website. I am reproducing the list here for completeness - you can always get the latest list from my builds:
1. G'MIC
4. Resynthesizer
5. Refocus-it
7. Exif-Browser
8. Wavelet-Denoise
9. Wavelet-Sharpen
10. Wavelet-Decompose
11. Texture Tiler
16. Separate+ (color management in Gimp) 17. Advanced Tone Mapping (faux HDR) 18. Recover Shadows and Highlights
19. ShellOut
20. BIMP

For question 3b, nothing prevents me from working with you. I think I do bring whatever issues I find to everyone's attention here.

Finally as far as IRC is concerned, I have absolutely nothing against it and would have loved to participate. However, I just don't have the time.

All the above I am doing as a hobby and I told you why I started it. I have not stopped since I have heard from a lot of people that they like my builds with all the plugins in one place and the 64-bit builds.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Partha

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Jehan Pags

wrote:

Hi again!

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Jehan Pags

wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Partha Bagchi

wrote:

Hi Sven,

Hi,

I am happy to collaborate with anyone on my builds. Note that I build

Gimp

and all dependencies from scratch using OSX gcc version 4.2.1; that

is,

I

build gtk+, glib, pango, cairo etc. etc. etc. and then I build Gimp. I

also

include plugins that I believe are useful to photographers, well at

least

useful to me.

This would be very nice.
I have a few questions:

Jehan

Finally, it's not really feasible for me to come to IRC and hence I

loose

Thanks!

Jehan

Thanks in advance,

Sven

Thanks again,
Partha

[bugreport]:

(@_  |
//\  | Maurizio Loreti - Fisico in pensione, nonno felice di
V_/_ | due nipotini, vagabondo e fotografo a tempo perso...
Michael Schumacher
2013-12-05 11:40:13 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 05. Dezember 2013 um 12:16 Uhr Von: "Maurizio Loreti"

Could I add a request for the OS X developement? Please, PLEASE, support retina displays!

There are some bug reports about this, for example https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=686454

The last comment there mentions that this needs GTK+ 3:

"This should be fixed when gimp is ported to GTK3 and when GTK3 finally supports hi-dpi monitors."

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Jehan Pagès
2013-12-09 07:17:42 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

Hi Jehan,

1. G'MIC
4. Resynthesizer
5. Refocus-it
7. Exif-Browser
8. Wavelet-Denoise
9. Wavelet-Sharpen
10. Wavelet-Decompose
11. Texture Tiler
19. ShellOut
20. BIMP

Thanks for the answer. So your build is not a patched GIMP. The "only" plus are the embedded plugins (not that it is not a nice addition, but I mean there is no core change). So you have not much to lose to participate to the OSX official build. You definitely have some knowledge to share, as discussed in another thread. You could help us by setting up a nice OSX build system, with automatic builds, maybe even some nightly, etc.

But if you really wish to continue also your own build because of the plugins (because I can imagine that we won't suddenly integrate that many additional plugins to maintain upstream. We have already quite a lot of work for too few people!), I see at least 2 ways for you:

1/ you may create a special plugin-only combo containing all these additional plugins; and for the main program, you redirect your user base to the upstream GIMP;

2/ you still make your full build of GIMP + plugins, using the same build scripts that you helped create upstream. They will likely be a very simplified, robust and automatic version of everyone's current procedure.

However I see this, working with us can only spare your time, whatever you decide.

Jehan

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Partha

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi again!

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi,

Hi Sven,

Hi,

I am happy to collaborate with anyone on my builds. Note that I build Gimp
and all dependencies from scratch using OSX gcc version 4.2.1; that is, I
build gtk+, glib, pango, cairo etc. etc. etc. and then I build Gimp. I also
include plugins that I believe are useful to photographers, well at least
useful to me.

This would be very nice.
I have a few questions:

Jehan

Finally, it's not really feasible for me to come to IRC and hence I loose

Thanks!

Jehan

Thanks in advance,

Sven

Thanks again,
Partha

[bugreport]:

Partha Bagchi
2013-12-09 10:30:32 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi Jehan,

I am happy to work both ways. As you will see on Google+ or Flickr, and from the emails I receive, integrated plugins seems to be something that a lot of folks prefer and easier for me as well. Hence, I would opt for Door number 2, as long as there is no goat behind it :) (Sorry couldn't resist the reference to Monty Hall).

Thanks, Partha

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 2:17 AM, Jehan Pags wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

Hi Jehan,

I don't patch Gimp anymore. In the past I did due to issues with language UI, file size issues on Windows, etc. I feel that the source is quite

mature

and does not need patching.

I started building the Windows version back during Gimp 2.7.1 when there were no betas available and also no 64-bit python. I also wanted a pure 64-bit build. So, I took it upon myself to learn how to build all the dependencies and build Gimp. Similarly, I started building the OSX

version

when there was no pure OSX version and I wanted to learn how to build an

app

for Mac, and hence McGimp.

For your question 3a ( you have 3 twice ;) ) - I have always mentioned

the

plugins I consider useful for photography on my website. I am reproducing the list here for completeness - you can always get the latest list from

my

builds:
1. G'MIC
4. Resynthesizer
5. Refocus-it
7. Exif-Browser
8. Wavelet-Denoise
9. Wavelet-Sharpen
10. Wavelet-Decompose
11. Texture Tiler
19. ShellOut
20. BIMP

Finally as far as IRC is concerned, I have absolutely nothing against it

and

would have loved to participate. However, I just don't have the time.

All the above I am doing as a hobby and I told you why I started it. I

have

not stopped since I have heard from a lot of people that they like my

builds

with all the plugins in one place and the 64-bit builds.

Thanks for the answer. So your build is not a patched GIMP. The "only" plus are the embedded plugins (not that it is not a nice addition, but I mean there is no core change). So you have not much to lose to participate to the OSX official build. You definitely have some knowledge to share, as discussed in another thread. You could help us by setting up a nice OSX build system, with automatic builds, maybe even some nightly, etc.

But if you really wish to continue also your own build because of the plugins (because I can imagine that we won't suddenly integrate that many additional plugins to maintain upstream. We have already quite a lot of work for too few people!), I see at least 2 ways for you:

1/ you may create a special plugin-only combo containing all these additional plugins; and for the main program, you redirect your user base to the upstream GIMP;

2/ you still make your full build of GIMP + plugins, using the same build scripts that you helped create upstream. They will likely be a very simplified, robust and automatic version of everyone's current procedure.

However I see this, working with us can only spare your time, whatever you decide.

Jehan

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Partha

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Jehan Pags

wrote:

Hi again!

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Jehan Pags <

jehan.marmottard@gmail.com>

wrote:

Hi,

Hi Sven,

Hi,

This situation shows us another weakness again: there are at least four people working on an OS X release: Clayton Walker, Simone Karin Lehmann, Partha Bagchi and David Evans (Macports), not to mention the (still active?)

maintainer

of the outdated Fink build and the various people building GIMP on their own Macs. All of them do it in their rare spare time. All of them struggle alone with the special build issues of GIMP on OS X, its dependencies and the API incompatibilities between the various OS X versions.

I am happy to collaborate with anyone on my builds. Note that I build Gimp
and all dependencies from scratch using OSX gcc version 4.2.1; that

is,

I
build gtk+, glib, pango, cairo etc. etc. etc. and then I build Gimp.

I

also
include plugins that I believe are useful to photographers, well at least
useful to me.

This would be very nice.
I have a few questions:
Ideally we could automatize all builds for very easy and early

release!

Jehan

Finally, it's not really feasible for me to come to IRC and hence I loose

Thanks!

Jehan

Thanks in advance,

Sven

Thanks again,
Partha

[bugreport]: