RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

What is the purpose of the checkerboard pattern in the color history buttons?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Ofnuts
2013-11-16 21:05:18 UTC (over 10 years ago)

In the color history of the FG/BG color selector dialog, the buttons may appear split in two along a diagonal with the color on top left and a checkerboard pattern on the bottom right. This happens when the color is obtained using the color picker button in the same dialog. However I can't figure out what this display is indicating. The checkerboard pattern would normally hint at some alpha/transparency value, but the color displayed has no alpha channel?

Michael Natterer
2013-11-16 21:56:16 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 22:05 +0100, Ofnuts wrote:

In the color history of the FG/BG color selector dialog, the buttons may appear split in two along a diagonal with the color on top left and a checkerboard pattern on the bottom right. This happens when the color is obtained using the color picker button in the same dialog. However I can't figure out what this display is indicating. The checkerboard pattern would normally hint at some alpha/transparency value, but the color displayed has no alpha channel?

Because it was broken :)

Just fixed it in master and gimp-2-8:

commit abd16f9b1e3e6bd9260f83241f5ff3035d64b090 Author: Michael Natterer
Date: Sat Nov 16 22:53:16 2013 +0100

libgimpwidets: don't pick transparent colors in gimp_pick_button_pick()

Full opacity in gimp_rgba_set_uchar() is 255, not 1.0.
(cherry picked from commit f489ef2c5a77edb49e3062381cc207aa1698dedd)

libgimpwidgets/gimppickbutton.c | 2 +- 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

Ofnuts
2013-11-17 18:01:37 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 11/16/2013 10:56 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:

On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 22:05 +0100, Ofnuts wrote:

Because it was broken :)

Just fixed it in master and gimp-2-8:

Darn... I though there was a clever trick afoot :)