RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP Icons

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

12 of 19 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP Icons Andrew Pullins 11 Nov 04:42
  GIMP Icons Jehan Pagès 12 Nov 09:56
   GIMP Icons Andrew Pullins 12 Nov 12:59
    GIMP Icons Jehan Pagès 12 Nov 22:53
     GIMP Icons Michael Henning 12 Nov 23:06
      CAJXzYcws41mhxaRKBcyuL3fC9H... 14 Nov 20:43
       Fwd: GIMP Icons Michael Henning 14 Nov 20:41
        Fwd: GIMP Icons Jehan Pagès 17 Nov 11:25
         Fwd: GIMP Icons Jehan Pagès 17 Nov 12:06
          CAJXzYcyEQBGFR0TbupjTgL+7HX... 26 Nov 21:43
           CAJXzYcyEkSU4pgjKw6cZwetpdx... 26 Nov 21:43
            CAFgjPJ-3jk4m=uKtDdE+HHSL-M... 26 Nov 21:43
             CAJXzYcyh8+3EnhERmwxWm-OrPO... 26 Nov 21:43
              CAJXzYcxRAzd3z7S=1qrZgCBNJs... 26 Nov 21:43
               CAJXzYczTcjwUk8a5uE1=O6doDE... 26 Nov 21:43
                Fwd: GIMP Icons Jehan Pagès 26 Nov 21:42
                 Fwd: GIMP Icons jEsuSdA 8) 26 Nov 21:55
          Fwd: GIMP Icons Jehan Pagès 04 Dec 12:09
           Fwd: GIMP Icons Andrew Pullins 12 Jan 20:11
Andrew Pullins
2013-11-11 04:42:50 UTC (over 10 years ago)

GIMP Icons

Hello,

I am sorry if this is not the right place to ask this. I have been creating a theme for GIMP specifically to change out all the icons in GIMP. hopefully the development team has taken notice to a recent OMG Ubuntu article about
this. Direct link to my theme on my
DeviantArt.
but there seems that people are having a problem with my theme. depending on what version of gimp and OS the users run my themes different things happen. sometimes the icons do not change, sometimes it crashes GIMP, sometime the Dark theme dose not work and the Light one does, sometimes nether do. I my self have gone from Ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04, changing nothing about the theme it started crashing GIMP. but then updating to GIMP 2.8 fixed it. But then some users have reported it crashing in Ubuntu. It does not work for anyone that uses windows or mac.

I know that this is not you guys are working on or what this list is for, or even the most important thing to tackle right now. But would it be possible for someone to look at my theme and see why it is acting so strangely? even some incite on how GIMP themes work that might help me fix the problems. any help would be appreciated. People really like these themes and would love to work in them. I hope you like them as well.

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-12 09:56:38 UTC (over 10 years ago)

GIMP Icons

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Andrew Pullins wrote:

Hello,

I am sorry if this is not the right place to ask this. I have been creating a theme for GIMP specifically to change out all the icons in GIMP. hopefully the development team has taken notice to a recent OMG Ubuntu article about
this. Direct link to my theme on my
DeviantArt.

Nice theme. I personally did not hear of this one before (but I am rarely first on news).
It makes me think of another monochrome theme which was talked about quite a bit recently:
https://plus.google.com/+AlexandreProkoudine/posts/LP1pWr7YEgA There is also another version of these icons for light background made by another contributor. Actually we are discussing about including this new set of icons in the next official release (GIMP 2.10) and the 3 icon designers have already agreed to license these icons as GPL for inclusion in our code repository.

but there seems that people are having a problem with my theme. depending on what version of gimp and OS the users run my themes different things happen. sometimes the icons do not change, sometimes it crashes GIMP, sometime the Dark theme dose not work and the Light one does, sometimes nether do. I my self have gone from Ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04, changing nothing about the theme it started crashing GIMP. but then updating to GIMP 2.8

Is it the last stable version (2.8.8)?

fixed it. But then some users have reported it crashing in Ubuntu. It does not work for anyone that uses windows or mac.

I know that this is not you guys are working on or what this list is for, or even the most important thing to tackle right now. But would it be possible for someone to look at my theme and see why it is acting so strangely? even some incite on how GIMP themes work that might help me fix the problems. any help would be appreciated. People really like these themes and would love to work in them. I hope you like them as well.

Does it crash on startup, or it first loads fine then crashes later on? Are you sure the themes are the cause of the crash? If you remove the themes, it won't crash anymore?
In other words: do you have reproduction steps?

If you start from a terminal, when it crashes, do you see some error log output? Because just "it crashes" is not a very detailed report. Some error output might help us.

Apart from this, nice work on theming GIMP. Keep up the good work. :-)

Jehan

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list

Andrew Pullins
2013-11-12 12:59:56 UTC (over 10 years ago)

GIMP Icons

I'm sorry I am usually much better at making bug reports.

I started having problems with 2.6 but then 2.8 fixed it. Then I had problems again but Ubuntu 13.04 fixed it. Or something.

Does it crash on startup, or it first loads fine then crashes later on?

Sorry yes it crashes on startup as soon as the splash loads would start running algorithms.

Are you sure the themes are the cause of the crash? If you remove the

themes, it won't crash anymore?

Yes it is the theme, sometimes you can load the theme and everything seems fine but other times It had crashed as soon as I changed the theme. Deleting the theme makes GIMP go back to normal. Try the theme again and it starts crashing again.

If you start from a terminal, when it crashes, do you see some error log

output?

Never tryed that.

Some error output might help us.

I don't know how to get this output errors but someone on deviant art posted this.

" White theme works for me (gimp 2.8.6 on arch linux), but the dark one fails with:

[phwhitfield@underarch videonodes]$ gimp GEGL-geglmodule.c-Message: Module '/usr/lib/gegl-0.2/ff-load.so' load error: /usr/lib/gegl-0.2/ff-load.so: undefined symbol: avcodec_open /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:69: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-tool-foreground-select-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:70: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-tool-foreground-select-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:71: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-tool-foreground-select-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:82: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-vertical-22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:83: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-vertical-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:84: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-vertical-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:85: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-vertical-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:89: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-horizontal-22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:90: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-horizontal-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:91: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-horizontal-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:92: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-horizontal-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:96: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-histogram-22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:97: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-histogram-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:98: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-histogram-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:99: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-histogram-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:103: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-color-pick-from-screen-22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:104: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-color-pick-from-screen-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:105: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-color-pick-from-screen-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:106: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-color-pick-from-screen-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:110: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-edit-22.svg"

... more similar messages

/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1134: Background image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1156: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "option_out.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1159: Overlay image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1167: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "option_in.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1170: Overlay image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1177: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "option_insens.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1180: Overlay image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1186: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "checklight.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1188: Background image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1222: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "menubar.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1225: Background image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1230: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "trough.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1234: Background image options specified without filename

(script-fu:18942): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read(): error
Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

All I got from this is that I need to make sure that my file pats in my imagerc. So I made sure that they were right found some that were not fixed them. Still worked on my computer but when I posted the update and asked if it help people were still saying it crashed gimp.

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-12 22:53:43 UTC (over 10 years ago)

GIMP Icons

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:59 AM, Andrew Pullins wrote:

I started having problems with 2.6 but then 2.8 fixed it. Then I had problems again but Ubuntu 13.04 fixed it. Or something.

You have not answered to the question. What version is it *exactly*? The last is 2.8.8. Just "2.8" is not enough, there has been 4 minor versions in 2.8. Please check the About of the program.

Sorry yes it crashes on startup as soon as the splash loads would start running algorithms.

Are you sure the themes are the cause of the crash? If you remove the themes, it won't crash anymore?

Yes it is the theme, sometimes you can load the theme and everything seems fine but other times It had crashed as soon as I changed the theme. Deleting the theme makes GIMP go back to normal. Try the theme again and it starts crashing again.

If you start from a terminal, when it crashes, do you see some error log output?

Never tryed that.

I don't know how to get this output errors but someone on deviant art posted this.

Just for your information: if you open a terminal and just type "gimp" there, it will start GIMP, with the output "linked" to the terminal. So if ever you encounter error, they would be printed there.

" White theme works for me (gimp 2.8.6 on arch linux), but the dark one fails with:

[phwhitfield@underarch videonodes]$ gimp GEGL-geglmodule.c-Message: Module '/usr/lib/gegl-0.2/ff-load.so' load error: /usr/lib/gegl-0.2/ff-load.so: undefined symbol: avcodec_open

This one is probably not the reason of the crash (because this is code to process videos, but I doubt that GIMP is making much use of this, actually I'm sure, since I can see we are not using this operation), but I note that there is a packaging error in GEGL on Ubuntu. Maybe a version issue of libav (or simply one of the many problems that we have everywhere since the libav/ffmpeg fork war).

/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:69: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-tool-foreground-select-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:70: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-tool-foreground-select-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:71: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-tool-foreground-select-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:82: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-vertical-22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:83: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-vertical-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:84: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-vertical-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:85: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-vertical-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:89: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-horizontal-22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:90: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-horizontal-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:91: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-horizontal-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:92: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-flip-horizontal-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:96: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-histogram-22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:97: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-histogram-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:98: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-histogram-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:99: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-histogram-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:103: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-color-pick-from-screen-22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:104: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-color-pick-from-screen-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:105: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-color-pick-from-screen-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:106: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
"images/tools/stock-color-pick-from-screen-c22.svg" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:110: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "images/tools/stock-edit-22.svg"

/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1134: Background image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1156: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "option_out.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1159: Overlay image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1167: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "option_in.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1170: Overlay image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1177: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "option_insens.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1180: Overlay image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1186: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "checklight.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1188: Background image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1222: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "menubar.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1225: Background image options specified without filename
/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1230: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "trough.png" /home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/gtkrc:1234: Background image options specified without filename

There seems to be a lot of missing icons in your set, and more problematic, several errors in the gtkrc. So that may explain why it does not work well (or at all) for some people (maybe it depends on the version of GTK+ installed). The best on your side would be to fix at least the gtkrc.

In any case, if really GIMP crashes because of this, that's not normal. It should not crash on wrong input. Could you please open a bug report: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GIMP

Then a developer (maybe me) will look into it when we have some time, and we'll try to reproduce the crash.

By the way, you have not answered this either: do you have any good reproduction steps? You said in particular that some users have it crash, other not. Do you know how to make it crash for sure? Maybe if it is a GTK+ issue (highly probable if the crash happens during the gtkrc parsing), could you tell us which version of GTK+ it is? Put all the relevant information in the bug report please, as well as an archive of your theme.
Thanks.

Jehan

All I got from this is that I need to make sure that my file pats in my imagerc. So I made sure that they were right found some that were not fixed them. Still worked on my computer but when I posted the update and asked if it help people were still saying it crashed gimp.

Michael Henning
2013-11-12 23:06:18 UTC (over 10 years ago)

GIMP Icons

Just a quick note: the ff-load.so bug is one of our bugs, not an Ubuntu packaging error. The message is entirely harmless, and it has been fixed in git (but not released yet).

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Jehan Pags wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:59 AM, Andrew Pullins wrote:

You have not answered to the question. What version is it *exactly*? The last is 2.8.8. Just "2.8" is not enough, there has been 4 minor versions in 2.8. Please check the About of the program.

Are you sure the themes are the cause of the crash? If you remove the themes, it won't crash anymore?

If you start from a terminal, when it crashes, do you see some error log output?

Never tryed that.

Just for your information: if you open a terminal and just type "gimp" there, it will start GIMP, with the output "linked" to the terminal. So if ever you encounter error, they would be printed there.

[phwhitfield@underarch videonodes]$ gimp GEGL-geglmodule.c-Message: Module '/usr/lib/gegl-0.2/ff-load.so' load error: /usr/lib/gegl-0.2/ff-load.so: undefined symbol: avcodec_open

This one is probably not the reason of the crash (because this is code to process videos, but I doubt that GIMP is making much use of this, actually I'm sure, since I can see we are not using this operation), but I note that there is a packaging error in GEGL on Ubuntu. Maybe a version issue of libav (or simply one of the many problems that we have everywhere since the libav/ffmpeg fork war).

/home/phwhitfield/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Dark/imagerc:69: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:

There seems to be a lot of missing icons in your set, and more problematic, several errors in the gtkrc. So that may explain why it does not work well (or at all) for some people (maybe it depends on the version of GTK+ installed). The best on your side would be to fix at least the gtkrc.

In any case, if really GIMP crashes because of this, that's not normal. It should not crash on wrong input. Could you please open a bug report: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GIMP

Then a developer (maybe me) will look into it when we have some time, and we'll try to reproduce the crash.

By the way, you have not answered this either: do you have any good reproduction steps? You said in particular that some users have it crash, other not. Do you know how to make it crash for sure? Maybe if it is a GTK+ issue (highly probable if the crash happens during the gtkrc parsing), could you tell us which version of GTK+ it is? Put all the relevant information in the bug report please, as well as an archive of your theme.
Thanks.

Jehan

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list

Michael Henning
2013-11-14 20:41:27 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Fwd: GIMP Icons

This was replied to just me, so I'm forwarding it to the entire list.

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Andrew Pullins
Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP Icons To: Michael Henning

here are some comments form my DeviantArt

Linux

Works fine on Debian Wheezy / Gimp 2.8.x

Dark theme crashes on Ubuntu 12.04, but Light works fine.

light theme under Ubuntu 12.04 and Gimp 2.8.6 and it seems to work OK. user did not mention the dark theme.

No problem for me with a fresh Ubuntu 13.04 install. Using GIMP 2.8.4, though, it seems the 2.8.6 version isn't in the Ubuntu repos. ~Still works for me. I am now on Ubuntu 13.10 with GIMP 2.8.6 (was 2.8.4 when I tested the previous version).

White theme works for me (gimp 2.8.6 on arch linux), but the dark one fails with:

Windows

windows 7 - GIMP 2.8.6, same problem dark crashses GIMP, light, icons do not show
~ Sorry for the the delay, and sorry, no luck yet, maybe im doing something wrong? windows 7 64 bit GIMP 2.8.6

I already tested it on Windows XP, but when I choose the dark theme, GIMP crashes, and when I choose the light theme, doesn't show any single icon.

Does anybody tested this on Windows NT 6.X?

Mac

The dark theme crashes on Mac (10.8.4) (GIMP 2.8.6)

Hmm.. well I will do that next time it crashes on me. but it does not crash on me anymore.
but the others still do. once I updated the theme I contacted them and it still did I denoted that above by a "~".

well I can see how I messed some icons, there are a lot. as for the gtkrc I kinda just took a bunch of different themes mashed them together and ctrl found colors till switching them out got the look I wanted. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing with these themes. I did not know there was anything wrong with the gtkrc and have no idea where to start. I really wanted this to be a GMIP only theme, there seems to be a lot of GIMIP themes out there that can be used for many applications and there for have a lot of extra stuff that GIMP dose not need.

I will do so.

Thanks.

yes install my theme and see if it crashes GMIP :P I really am confused about how the same theme can work on one OS and crash on others. some people it crashes immediately, others it does not. some the light theme works and others it dose not crash GIMP but none of my icons show up.

I have no idea how to answer your GTK+ questions. All I know about GTK is that its a desktop environment. again I just mashed some themes together and prayed it worked. if your question is what version my Ubuntu OS uses then I may be able to help, if you tell me how to find that out. if your asking what my users are using, what ever comes with the windows and mac versions of GIMP I assume. if your asking what version that gtkrc file is written under, then again I have no idea. I do not even know what theme I originally took my gtkrc file from.

I am sorry I could not be more help, I have only just started using Linux as my only OS. I am quite new at this.

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-17 11:25:04 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Michael Henning wrote:

Thanks Michael.

Linux

I just tested on my Linux Mint. The dark theme crashes too. So I tracked the bug. As I thought, the issue is in GTK+. I have fixed it on my locale development and will upload the patch tomorrow on Bugzilla (I want first to do a few more tests and see if it affects GTK+ 3 as well. But for now, I must sleep).

[...]

well I can see how I messed some icons, there are a lot. as for the gtkrc I kinda just took a bunch of different themes mashed them together and ctrl found colors till switching them out got the look I wanted. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing with these themes. I did not know there was anything wrong with the gtkrc and have no idea where to start. I really wanted this to be a GMIP only theme, there seems to be a lot of GIMIP themes out there that can be used for many applications and there for have a lot of extra stuff that GIMP dose not need.

I see. Well if you just follow all the warning output in a terminal, you can at least track all the non-existent images and get rid of the references in the gtkrc.
That would be already a good start. :-)

I will do so.

Well, now that I have fixed the bug, I may as well take care of the bug ticket too, I guess.
Thanks for the report anyway.

Jehan

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-17 12:06:01 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi again,

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi,

Thanks Michael.

Linux

I just tested on my Linux Mint. The dark theme crashes too. So I tracked the bug. As I thought, the issue is in GTK+. I have fixed it on my locale development and will upload the patch tomorrow on Bugzilla (I want first to do a few more tests and see if it affects GTK+ 3 as well. But for now, I must sleep).

Well in the end, I did not want to push it to tomorrow. So I just tested and made the ticket now.
See https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=712536

With this patch, we will handle better broken themes.

In the meantime, you should fix your theme if you want it to work with current GTK+.
In particular, just remove all the gap_file, gap_start_file and gap_end_file in your gtkrc which do not correspond to an existing image. These were the pieces of the gtkrc which was making GTK+ crash. Regards,

Jehan

[...]

I see. Well if you just follow all the warning output in a terminal, you can at least track all the non-existent images and get rid of the references in the gtkrc.

I will do so.

Well, now that I have fixed the bug, I may as well take care of the bug ticket too, I guess.

Jehan

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-26 21:42:54 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Andrew Pullins wrote:

I was wondering why are there sooooo many different sized icons? I mean I understand that GIMP has different sized icons, but sometimes it does not care what size the icon is it will insert it anyway. I noticed that my color switcher icon (aka "stock-swap-colors-12") was not working, and I found that it was because I made it a 24x24 icon. once I resized it back down to 12 it was find. but on the other hand, my stock-join-miter-16 is not 16x16 but in-facet 24x24. So why are there some many different icons? there are 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x42, and 64x64. GIMP does not care what file format it is in, or at least it does not care that my themes are all .SVG. what makes it even more confusing is when there are four red Channel icons.

Well I don't know the answer to this. :-) If you want better chances of answers, you better send your questions to the mailing list, not to me only. I forward it for you.

Jehan

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Andrew Pullins wrote:

I have GIMP 2.8.8 installed on Ubuntu 13.10

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Andrew Pullins wrote:

My GIMP has not crashed in some time. Thats what makes this bug so strange, it seems to depend on your OS and GIMP build. I'm not in front of my computer but I'll tell you what my GIMP version is.

On Nov 17, 2013 4:55 PM, "Jehan Pagès" wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Andrew Pullins wrote:

And here are the errors I get when I load the light theme

~$ gimp /home/andrew/.gimp-2.8/themes/Flat-Light/gtkrc:3: error: unexpected character ':', expected character '=' GIMP-Error: Failed to load data:

Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/home/andrew/.gimp-2.8/patterns/GPS-Pat/Canvas-Covered.xcf'

GIMP-Error: Failed to load data:

Fatal parse error in gradient file '/home/andrew/.gimp-2.8/gradients/Untitled.ggr': Read error in line 1.

Hmmm. I had more than that, even for the light theme. In any case, after fixing all the "gap" files, did the crash stop at least?

Jehan

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-11-26 21:55:01 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 26/11/13 22:42, Jehan Pagès escribió:

I was wondering why are there sooooo many different sized icons? I mean I

understand that GIMP has different sized icons, but sometimes it does not care what size the icon is it will insert it anyway. I noticed that my color switcher icon (aka "stock-swap-colors-12") was not working, and I found that it was because I made it a 24x24 icon. once I resized it back down to 12 it was find. but on the other hand, my stock-join-miter-16 is not 16x16 but in-facet 24x24. So why are there some many different icons? there are 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x42, and 64x64. GIMP does not care what file format it is in, or at least it does not care that my themes are all .SVG. what makes it even more confusing is when there are four red Channel icons.

Hi Jehan,

The sizes are selected bye the gtkrc file. If you open it, you can view what icon sizes are neccesary and, of course, you can force some of them to a size you consider.

Instead to make several resized versions of all icons, I suggest you make only the needed ones using the gtkrc file of your theme. ;)

Good luck! jEsuSdA 8)

Jehan Pagès
2013-12-04 12:09:37 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi again,

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi,

Thanks Michael.

Linux

Well in the end, I did not want to push it to tomorrow. So I just tested and made the ticket now.

Just for your information, the patch has made it upstream and new stables releases of GTK+ are planned for this week. Not sure when it would make it to your distribution but when it will, the particular crashes you experienced will be fixed (unless there were other issues I could not discover) with GTK+ 2.24.23.

This being said, even though GTK+ will be now robuster on a faulty theme, I would still suggest you to fix your theme with the indications I gave you earlier. Then you don't have to ask your users to wait for an updated GTK+. :-)
Bye!

Jehan

In the meantime, you should fix your theme if you want it to work with current GTK+.
In particular, just remove all the gap_file, gap_start_file and gap_end_file in your gtkrc which do not correspond to an existing image. These were the pieces of the gtkrc which was making GTK+ crash. Regards,

Jehan

[...]

I will do so.

Jehan

Andrew Pullins
2014-01-12 20:11:46 UTC (about 10 years ago)

So I was wondering how do I specify icon sizes in the imagerc file? so for example their are four channel icons. A 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, and 48x48 icon. Here is code from my imagerc file that likes to my center icon.

stock["gimp-channel"] = {
{ "images/stock-channel-24.svg", *, *, "gtk-button" }, { "images/stock-channel-24.svg", *, ACTIVE, "gtk-button" }, { "images/stock-channel-24.svg", *, PRELIGHT, "gtk-button" }, { "images/stock-channel-24.svg", *, *, * } }

would I copy this and have two sets linking to the different icons like this?

stock["gimp-channel-16"] = {
{ "images/stock-channel-16.svg", *, *, "gtk-button" }, { "images/stock-channel-16.svg", *, ACTIVE, "gtk-button" }, { "images/stock-channel-16.svg", *, PRELIGHT, "gtk-button" }, { "images/stock-channel-16.svg", *, *, * } }
stock["gimp-channel-24"] =
{
{ "images/stock-channel-24.svg", *, *, "gtk-button" }, { "images/stock-channel-24.svg", *, ACTIVE, "gtk-button" }, { "images/stock-channel-24.svg", *, PRELIGHT, "gtk-button" }, { "images/stock-channel-24.svg", *, *, * } }
etc.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Jehan Pags wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Jehan Pags wrote:

Hi again,

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Jehan Pags wrote:

Hi,

Thanks Michael.

Linux

Just for your information, the patch has made it upstream and new stables releases of GTK+ are planned for this week. Not sure when it would make it to your distribution but when it will, the particular crashes you experienced will be fixed (unless there were other issues I could not discover) with GTK+ 2.24.23.

This being said, even though GTK+ will be now robuster on a faulty theme, I would still suggest you to fix your theme with the indications I gave you earlier. Then you don't have to ask your users to wait for an updated GTK+. :-)
Bye!

Jehan

Jehan

[...]

Then a developer (maybe me) will look into it when we have some

time,

and we'll try to reproduce the crash.

I will do so.

Jehan