RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP downloads on source forge used as lure for malware/adware

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP downloads on source forge used as lure for malware/adware C R 05 Nov 17:31
  GIMP downloads on source forge used as lure for malware/adware Michael Schumacher 05 Nov 17:33
   GIMP downloads on source forge used as lure for malware/adware C R 05 Nov 22:10
  GIMP downloads on source forge used as lure for malware/adware Alexandre Prokoudine 05 Nov 17:35
C R
2013-11-05 17:31:10 UTC (over 10 years ago)

I'm quite upset.
I've been an Open Source proponent for a long time now, and have been trying to get people in my company on board with using GIMP and Inkscape, as they are wonderful free programs that we can have on as many computers as we like, and share and edit information.

The problem is, GIMP (and Inkscape) is hosted on Source Forge, which insists on slathering the download pages with adverts. This would not normally be that much of a problem, but many of these adverts sport lures and misdirects with big "download here" buttons, where the user is taken to a page where they are tricked into downloading and installing something other than GIMP.

I've had to host my own personal "safe" copy on my website, just to give it out to friends I tell about it. It's crippling to the popularity of the program that the first experience with Open Source software, is an accidental malware/adware infection.

I recommend different hosting for GIMP. It's far too fine of a program to be hosted on Source Forge.

Thoughts? Solutions?

Thanks. -C.Rogers

Michael Schumacher
2013-11-05 17:33:27 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 05.11.2013 18:31, C R wrote:

I recommend different hosting for GIMP. It's far too fine of a program to be hosted on Source Forge.

Thoughts? Solutions?

You did miss the 2.8.8 release announcements, didn't you?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Alexandre Prokoudine
2013-11-05 17:35:14 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM, C R wrote:

Thoughts? Solutions?

Reading news at gimp.org would be a start :)

Alexandter

C R
2013-11-05 22:10:17 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hah! Glad I'm not the only one pissed off! Awesome. On 5 Nov 2013 17:33, "Michael Schumacher" wrote:

On 05.11.2013 18:31, C R wrote:

Thoughts? Solutions?

You did miss the 2.8.8 release announcements, didn't you?

-- Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list