RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

42 of 42 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 04 Oct 10:44
  HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 04 Oct 11:45
   HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Simon Budig 04 Oct 11:59
    HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 04 Oct 12:17
    HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Jehan Pagès 06 Oct 02:11
     HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Jehan Pagès 06 Oct 02:14
     HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Sven Claussner 06 Oct 08:08
      HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 06 Oct 10:28
      HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Jehan Pagès 06 Oct 13:40
       HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Michael Schumacher 06 Oct 14:10
        HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. scl 28 Oct 18:59
         HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Michael Schumacher 30 Oct 22:31
          HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Jehan Pagès 03 Nov 10:27
  HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Simon Budig 04 Oct 12:37
   HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 04 Oct 15:22
    HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Simon Budig 04 Oct 23:05
     HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 05 Oct 17:41
      HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Simon Budig 05 Oct 21:49
       HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 06 Oct 10:12
        HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Simon Budig 06 Oct 11:11
        HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 07 Oct 09:36
         HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Simon Budig 07 Oct 09:44
          HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 07 Oct 10:21
  HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. GSR - FR 07 Oct 21:21
   HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 08 Oct 08:20
    HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Alexandre Prokoudine 28 Oct 17:37
     HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 28 Oct 19:15
      HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Jehan Pagès 29 Oct 00:57
       HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. jEsuSdA 8) 30 Oct 16:01
        HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Jehan Pagès 30 Oct 22:14
         HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Michael Schumacher 30 Oct 22:26
          HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Jehan Pagès 30 Oct 22:35
        HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. Jehan Pagès 03 Nov 10:48
         HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp. scl 03 Nov 11:53
          HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp: license scl 05 Nov 15:59
           HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp: license jEsuSdA 8) 05 Nov 16:08
            HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp: license Jehan Pagès 25 Nov 06:05
             HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp: license jEsuSdA 8) 25 Nov 13:27
           HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp: license Jehan Pagès 05 Nov 22:13
            HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp: license Jehan Pagès 27 Nov 06:04
             HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp: license jEsuSdA 8) 27 Nov 07:24
              HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp: license Jehan Pagès 27 Nov 07:28
jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-04 10:44:03 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi!

Few days ago, I saw the Alexandre Prokoudine post on Google+ about Gimp and Symbolic icon theme:

https://plus.google.com/104550365344856778857/posts/LP1pWr7YEgA

He said he downloaded the gimp source code and overwrite the main icons, then he compiled.
This procedure is not very easy to do for many users, and these icons does not looks very well with some light window colors, so I started to create a separate and easy-to-install symbolic theme for Gimp.

I downloaded the sources from gnome-master git-hub and I started to work on this idea.

Some days later, I'm near to finish this theme:

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=60269

I've working on new icons, improve some others, changing color to use the dark-gray used in Inkscape symbolic icon theme (I've working too and finished a complete theme for Inkscape yet), etc.

But, there are some bugs I want to solve, and I need your help.

I've been read the gimp documentation ( libgimpwidgets-GimpStock.htm ) to edit the imagerc file and load all the icons, but some ones does not load and I can not find the correct '' stock["NAME"] = '' entry.

So, please, if you can help me, I'll be grateful:

Here you can find the bugs :

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=60270

A - I have the symbolic icon, but I can find the widget name to load the icon. Gimp allways loads this colorful icon and I can not change it. ¿What name has it?

There are no reference in libgimpwidgets documentation about this icon.

B - Same of A. I think solving A maybe can solve this bug.

C - I want to change this icon too. By default, gimp loads the desktop theme icon folder, but I whant to design and load a symbolic one for layers groups button.

D - The "eye" or "visibility" icon is designed and loaded on imagerc with:

stock["gimp-visible"] = {
{"images/stock-eye-12.png", *, *, "gtk-button" }, {"images/stock-eye-16.png", *, *, "gtk-button" }, {"images/stock-eye-20.png", *, *, "gtk-button" }, {"images/stock-eye-24.png", *, *, * } }

But Gimp loads the default one instead the symbolic. ¿It has another name?, ¿How can I change it?

E - Same as D bug but with the zoom-follow-window button.

The code in imagerc is this:

stock["gimp-zoom-follow-window"] = {
{ "images/tools/stock-zoom-follow-window-12.png", *, *, "gtk-button" },
{ "images/tools/stock-zoom-follow-window-16.png", *, *, * }
}

But Gimp loads the default one.

F - Same as D and E but related with default-colors and swap-colors.

If anyone wants the icon theme, I will publish it when finish the job. Maybe you consider to distribute it with next Gimp release. ;)

Thanks! jEsuSdA 8)

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-04 11:45:45 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Here you can find the bugs :

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=60270

A - I have the symbolic icon, but I can find the widget name to load the icon. Gimp allways loads this colorful icon and I can not change it. ¿What name has it?

There are no reference in libgimpwidgets documentation about this icon.

C - I want to change this icon too. By default, gimp loads the desktop theme icon folder, but I whant to design and load a symbolic one for layers groups button.

D - The "eye" or "visibility" icon is designed and loaded on imagerc with:

stock["gimp-visible"] = {
{"images/stock-eye-12.png", *, *, "gtk-button" }, {"images/stock-eye-16.png", *, *, "gtk-button" }, {"images/stock-eye-20.png", *, *, "gtk-button" }, {"images/stock-eye-24.png", *, *, * } }

But Gimp loads the default one instead the symbolic. ¿It has another name?, ¿How can I change it?

The code in imagerc is this:

{ "images/tools/stock-zoom-follow-window-12.png", *, *, "gtk-button" },
{ "images/tools/stock-zoom-follow-window-16.png", *, *, * }
}

But Gimp loads the default one.

Hi again!

Working on gtkrc I have solved F bug and improve the icons visualization.

Now, looks like that:

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=60272

The bug D is almost done: eye icon has changed, bug when clicked, there are no "closed eye" showd, so, I need help to solve this.

Thanks. jEsuSdA 8)

Simon Budig
2013-10-04 11:59:19 UTC (over 10 years ago)

jEsuSdA 8) (listas@jesusda.com) wrote:

Thanks for your efforts, that indeed looks really great. I'm all for including it in the main gimp source.

The bug D is almost done: eye icon has changed, bug when clicked, there are no "closed eye" showd, so, I need help to solve this.

I am not sure if I understand the bug: the default theme does not contain a "closed eye" icon.

Do you see the default eye when the mouse button is pressed down? Then apparently the stock icon definition for the ACTIVE widget state is wrong for some reason.

Thanks, Simon

simon@budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/
jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-04 12:17:07 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 04/10/13 13:59, Simon Budig escribi:

The bug D is almost done: eye icon has changed, bug when clicked,

there are no "closed eye" showd, so, I need help to solve this.

I am not sure if I understand the bug: the default theme does not contain a "closed eye" icon.

Do you see the default eye when the mouse button is pressed down? Then apparently the stock icon definition for the ACTIVE widget state is wrong for some reason.

Thanks Simon,

I was wrong! As you say, there are no "closed eye" icon when layer is not visible.

I was confused with Inkscape layers where a "closed eye" are showed when visibility is off. :P

Sorry!! :D

One bug less. Some idea about other ones?

Thanks,
Simon

Thank you very much. ;)

Simon Budig
2013-10-04 12:37:11 UTC (over 10 years ago)

A - I have the symbolic icon, but I can find the widget name to load the icon. Gimp allways loads this colorful icon and I can not change it. What name has it?

This is imported from the default gtk stock icons: "gtk-select-color"

Yeah.

Same here this probably is "gtk-directory"

Hum, no idea about that one. "gimp-zoom-follow-window" should be OK.

This should be "gimp-default-colors" and "gimp-swap-colors", they get used in the size GTK_ICON_SIZE_MENU.

I hope this helps.

Bye, Simon

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-04 15:22:37 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 04/10/13 14:37, Simon Budig escribi:

A - I have the symbolic icon, but I can find the widget name to load the icon. Gimp allways loads this colorful icon and I can not change it. What name has it?

This is imported from the default gtk stock icons: "gtk-select-color"

Great!
I'ts works!

Yeah.

But solving A does not solve B and the old coloured icon still appears. ??? :(

Same here this probably is "gtk-directory"

Works well now! ;)

I have include the gtk-print to force CMYK color chooser to load the symbolic icon instead the gtk one. ;)

I create a "deacoplate tab" icon too.

It does not work.

This should be "gimp-default-colors" and "gimp-swap-colors", they get used in the size GTK_ICON_SIZE_MENU.

Solved with the latest change on gtkrc. :D

I hope this helps.

Bye,
Simon

Yeah! You help me very much!

Only two small bugs to finish. I think solving B (old gtk-color-select icon on tab) could be enought. The zoom-follow-window does not matter so much. :D

Any idea about B solution?

Here, a newest screenshot:

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=60281

Thank you very mucho, Simon. ;) jEsuSdA 8)

Simon Budig
2013-10-04 23:05:11 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Yeah.

ok, weird.

I have include the gtk-print to force CMYK color chooser to load the symbolic icon instead the gtk one. ;)

Hmm, I don't understand what you mean there.

It does not work.

Could you do a preliminary release of your theme? That way I could try it and have a shot at debugging it here.

Bye, Simon

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-05 17:41:59 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 05/10/13 01:05, Simon Budig escribi:

ok, weird.

yes. :(

Hmm, I don't understand what you mean there.

The Gimp color picker has 4 tabs -> gimp selector, cmyk color selector, triangle selector and indexed palette color selector.

The CMYK tab color selector uses the gtk-print icon. So, the appearance looks extrange, cause all the others tabs has symbolic icons and the CMYK uses the GTK one.

So i've added a print icon and now the CMYK tab has his own symbolic icon too. :D

It does not work.

Could you do a preliminary release of your theme? That way I could try it and have a shot at debugging it here.

Here you could download the theme.

http://clowd.jesusda.com/public.php?service=files&t=b6451abc5859d27efcb34ed6dda6cfb8

I hope do you like and maybe you could help me to solve the palette color icon and finish it. ;)

Bye,
Simon

Thank you very much Simon. ;)

Simon Budig
2013-10-05 21:49:55 UTC (over 10 years ago)

ok, weird.

Dunno, I added the following section to the imagerc and it just worked:

stock["gtk-select-color"] = {
{"images/stock-colormap-24.png", *, *, "gtk-button" }, {"images/stock-colormap-24.png", *, *, * } }

It does not work.

the path to the images erroneously contains the "/tools/" subdirectory.

Try this:

{ "images/stock-zoom-follow-window-12.png", *, *, "gtk-button" }, { "images/stock-zoom-follow-window-16.png", *, *, * } }

I hope this helps,
Simon

Jehan Pagès
2013-10-06 02:11:24 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Simon Budig wrote:

Thanks for your efforts, that indeed looks really great. I'm all for including it in the main gimp source.

I'm ok for it too. And I would be also OK to have an included dark theme as soon as possible (not waiting for 3.0). Because everybody says it's so better for graphics work (some pieces of the UI stayed light, missing icons, etc.), blabla, but each time I try one, it's broken somehow. So if we could have an optional one in the main tree, that we know fully works with GIMP, that would be awesome! :-) Obviously it could just be the GTK+3 default dark theme that we would have maybe tweaked to work with GIMP 2.10.

Thanks for the theming work anyway!

Jehan

Thanks, Simon

--
simon@budig.de http://simon.budig.de/ _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list

Jehan Pagès
2013-10-06 02:14:59 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Simon Budig wrote:

Damn I should re-read me before posting. Parentheses badly placed and it lose any meaning! I meant:

I'm ok for it too. And I would be also very nice to have an included dark theme as soon as possible (not waiting for 3.0). Because everybody says it's so better for graphics work, blabla, but each time I try one, it's broken somehow (some pieces of the UI stayed light, missing icons, etc.). So if we could have an optional one in the main tree, that we know fully works with GIMP, that would be awesome! :-)

Obviously it could just be the GTK+3 default dark theme that we would have maybe tweaked to work with GIMP 2.10.

Thanks for the theming work anyway!

Jehan

Thanks, Simon

--
simon@budig.de http://simon.budig.de/ _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list

Sven Claussner
2013-10-06 08:08:33 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi all,

I'm also for an additional dark theme. Both (dark and lighter theme) can ease the artists work and be used to check the images appearance on-the-fly.

I've already sat for hours on searching for a suitable dark theme, integrating the Gnome art-libre icon set and after asking Jimmac at IRC without ulterior motives one day before his G+ posting the things are now slipped away from my hands. If it still matters - Andrea Cimitans Darklooks theme looks suitable. In Debian it's in the package 'gnome-themes-extras'.

I also think there's more to a professional, user-supporting theme than assembling nice pieces out of a spontaneous idea. Ad hoc topics like suitability for speedy work, using a theme engine that works on all important platforms (Linux, Windows, OS X) and suitability for High-DPI (Retina) displays come to my mind. Therefore I asked Peter for some input on the topic. Perhaps we know more next week.

Another thing we should consider is the license. The used symbolic icon set is licensed under the Creative Commons Share Alike License 3 (CCBYSA3). It is probably [incompatible with the GPL] used in GIMP and could also be incompatible with Linux distributor approvals. IMHO either the icon set and theme are relicenced under the GPL or we need something else if we want to integrate them into GIMP. The Darklooks theme uses the GPLv2.

If this is clarified: As the 2.8 branch is for bugfixes I'm for integration into the master branch so the theme will be in the 2.10 release and who likes can use it in 2.8 anyway (both use GTK+ 2).

JEsuSdA 8) thanks anyway for your work. You did a great job and now that we're further there's surely less work to be done. Keep it up! :-)

Kind regards,

Sven

[incompatible with the GPL]: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FSF_approved_software_licenses

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-06 10:12:59 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 05/10/13 23:49, Simon Budig escribi:

ok, weird.

{"images/stock-colormap-24.png", *, *, "gtk-button" }, {"images/stock-colormap-24.png", *, *, * } }

Not for me! :(
What kind of magic is this?! hehehe.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=60351

As you see, the "palette edit" icon still appears as the default theme.

It does not work.

the path to the images erroneously contains the "/tools/" subdirectory.

Try this:

{ "images/stock-zoom-follow-window-12.png", *, *, "gtk-button" }, { "images/stock-zoom-follow-window-16.png", *, *, * } }

Great!
It was in front of me all this time and I can not see it!! Thank you very, very much!

I hope this helps,
Simon

Thank you Simon. Your help is appreciated. ;) jEsuSdA 8)

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-06 10:28:24 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 06/10/13 10:08, Sven Claussner escribi:

Hi all,

Hi!

I'm also for an additional dark theme. Both (dark and lighter theme) can ease the artists work and be used to check the images appearance on-the-fly.

I've already sat for hours on searching for a suitable dark theme, integrating the Gnome art-libre icon set and after asking Jimmac at IRC without ulterior motives one day before his G+ posting the things are now slipped away from my hands. If it still matters - Andrea Cimitans Darklooks theme looks suitable. In Debian it's in the package 'gnome-themes-extras'.

I also think there's more to a professional, user-supporting theme than assembling nice pieces out of a spontaneous idea. Ad hoc topics like suitability for speedy work, using a theme engine that works on all important platforms (Linux, Windows, OS X) and suitability for High-DPI (Retina) displays come to my mind. Therefore I asked Peter for some input on the topic. Perhaps we know more next week.

First at all, excuse my poor English. I think I don't understand some things you say. :S

I understand you are talking about 2 things: gtk dark theme and icon theme.

You say you are working to bring a default dark theme together a gnome-art libre symbolic icon theme, isn't it?

The thing is that the icon theme I'm working is based on gnome-art libre symbolic icon theme and the gnome-art is not finished. So I try to finish it.

So, maybe some parts of my work, but all, could be used to achieve your goal.

My theme can be used on light gtk themes, the gnome-art libre does not work on light themes cause icons are lighter too. I have working on two symbolic icon theme versios: one lighter (based upon the original gnome-art libre set) an the darken one (the theme you can see on screenshot and download from previous mails).

Another thing we should consider is the license. The used symbolic icon set is licensed under the Creative Commons Share Alike License 3 (CCBYSA3). It is probably [incompatible with the GPL] used in GIMP and could also be incompatible with Linux distributor approvals. IMHO either the icon set and theme are relicenced under the GPL or we need something else if we want to integrate them into GIMP. The Darklooks theme uses the GPLv2.

May be all the people involved on gnome art-libre set could be agree to change the license to GPL.

There are a AUTHORS file with all the e-mails and we can ask them.

I'm agree to change the license, so there are no problem in my concern. ;)

If this is clarified: As the 2.8 branch is for bugfixes I'm for integration into the master branch so the theme will be in the 2.10 release and who likes can use it in 2.8 anyway (both use GTK+ 2).

JEsuSdA 8) thanks anyway for your work. You did a great job and now that we're further there's surely less work to be done. Keep it up! :-)

Thank you, I do the best I can. ;) It is a pleasure work with and for Gimp.

Kind regards,
Sven

Simon Budig
2013-10-06 11:11:01 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Sorry, my fault. I was looking at the wrong icon.

I see the problem now as well. Not sure what is happening there...

Bye, Simon

Jehan Pagès
2013-10-06 13:40:53 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Sven Claussner wrote:

Why would CC by-sa v3 *for themes* be incompatible with GPLv3 *for code*? Do you have any information to backup this?

I know that the FSF says not to use it for code, but it says it is good for arts though. And I think since themes are not "compiled in" or "linked" to the code, there is absolutely no legal need to have compatible licenses. I am pretty sure there are a whole bunch of Free Software projects out there which use CC by-sa for arts (themes, icons, etc.) and GPL for code. And we were even considering this a few days ago on the IRC channel (relicensing all our brushes/pattern and all other GIMP default data in CC by-sa).

I am no lawman though, so if you have more information about this claim, ok. Otherwise from what I thought to know, there is absolutely no problem to have CC by-sa for themes in our main tree.

Jehan

Kind regards,

Sven

[incompatible with the GPL]: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FSF_approved_software_licenses

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list

Michael Schumacher
2013-10-06 14:10:00 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 06.10.2013 15:40, Jehan Pags wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Sven Claussner wrote:

Why would CC by-sa v3 *for themes* be incompatible with GPLv3 *for code*? Do you have any information to backup this?

I know that the FSF says not to use it for code, but it says it is good for arts though. And I think since themes are not "compiled in" or "linked" to the code,

They are. Their icons at least, see https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/themes/Default/images/Makefile.am#n394 ff.

there is absolutely no legal need to have compatible licenses. I am pretty sure there are a whole bunch of Free Software projects out there which use CC by-sa for arts (themes, icons, etc.) and GPL for code.

Then those projects might be a) unaware of this, b) might not compile in their icons or c) might have solved the problem. If there is one, https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OtherLicenses lists CC-BY-SA version 2.0 as being incompatible and does not mention later versions.

And we were even considering this a few days ago on the IRC channel (relicensing all our brushes/pattern and all other GIMP default data in CC by-sa).

Yes, but those are not part of the compiled code. And we want to do this explicitely to avoid confusion about whether images created with such brushes and patterns would have to be licensed under the GNU GPL.

I am no lawman though, so if you have more information about this claim, ok. Otherwise from what I thought to know, there is absolutely no problem to have CC by-sa for themes in our main tree.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-07 09:36:30 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 06/10/13 12:12, jEsuSdA 8) escribi:

El 05/10/13 23:49, Simon Budig escribi:

ok, weird.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=60351

As you see, the "palette edit" icon still appears as the default theme.

I have spending some time searching in gimp sourcecode.

I have found a file: gimpstock.h that contains this lines:

/* missing icons: */ #define GIMP_STOCK_PALETTE GTK_STOCK_SELECT_COLOR

I suppose this mean that there is no icon defined, so Gimp load a gtk one and it is impossible to force gimp to load another icon from theme.

It this correct? is this a Gimp bug? there are any way to change the Edit Palette icon?

Someone can help me?

Thanks. ;) jEsuSdA 8)

Simon Budig
2013-10-07 09:44:00 UTC (over 10 years ago)

I suppose this mean that there is no icon defined, so Gimp load a gtk one and it is impossible to force gimp to load another icon from theme.

This is a #define pointing to a different #define. GTK_STOCK_SELECT_COLOR is defined as "gtk-select-color" and GIMP_STOCK_PALETTE inherits this definition.

The fun thing is, that the palette color selector uses GIMP_STOCK_PALETTE as well as the Palette Editor. I don't understand how this can be different icons.

Bye, Simon

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-07 10:21:32 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 07/10/13 11:44, Simon Budig escribi:

This is a #define pointing to a different #define. GTK_STOCK_SELECT_COLOR is defined as "gtk-select-color" and GIMP_STOCK_PALETTE inherits this definition.

The fun thing is, that the palette color selector uses GIMP_STOCK_PALETTE as well as the Palette Editor. I don't understand how this can be different icons.

I give up! My knowledge and time is not enough to fix this issue :(

The symbolic gimp theme will allways show a extrange and colorfull palette icon.

Thank you very much Simon. ;)

Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)

GSR - FR
2013-10-07 21:21:11 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,
listas@jesusda.com (2013-10-04 at 1244.03 +0200): [...]

I've been read the gimp documentation ( libgimpwidgets-GimpStock.htm ) to edit the imagerc file and load all the icons, but some ones does not load and I can not find the correct '' stock["NAME"] = '' entry.

When I assembled G3HOST, there was a tool named gle (SVN was still in use). It seems that tool is no more (lost with GIT migration?). The README.txt in the archive has all the info collected at that time. http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/gimp/G3HOST-20090219.tgz

But now, after some searching, I found a newer, similar, tool, gtkparasite. http://chipx86.github.io/gtkparasite/

Maybe it can help you figure widget layout, settings, etc like gle did. Good luck.

GSR

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-08 08:20:00 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 07/10/13 23:21, GSR - FR escribi:

Hi,
listas@jesusda.com (2013-10-04 at 1244.03 +0200): [...]

When I assembled G3HOST, there was a tool named gle (SVN was still in use). It seems that tool is no more (lost with GIT migration?). The README.txt in the archive has all the info collected at that time. http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/gimp/G3HOST-20090219.tgz

But now, after some searching, I found a newer, similar, tool, gtkparasite. http://chipx86.github.io/gtkparasite/

Hi!

I found, download and tried it with no sucess.

The buttons can be identified easily and his name appears clearly, but the icon in the tabs does not appears. I've searching on other values and trying several things, but I can found the icon name and any way to identify it.

Maybe it can help you figure widget layout, settings, etc like gle did. Good luck.

The gtkparasite is a great tool, it is so usefull, but in this case I can found the solution for this misterious icon.

Thank you very much, GSR. ;)

jEsuSdA 8)

Alexandre Prokoudine
2013-10-28 17:37:38 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:

The buttons can be identified easily and his name appears clearly, but the icon in the tabs does not appears. I've searching on other values and trying several things, but I can found the icon name and any way to identify it.

Hi,

Is your theme from October 4 the latest version?

@Everyone, how about we merge it?

Alexandre

scl
2013-10-28 18:59:01 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

in matter of the unclear license situation I asked the FSF for clarification and like to share their answer (see below). It's not a legal advice, but I hope it sheds us some light on the issue.

Best,
Sven

On 11.10.2013 at 02:48 A.M., Yoni Rabkin via RT wrote:

> I'm writing as a contributor to the GIMP open source project. We're > currently in the situation that we'd like to add more UI themes to our > project. We found a suitable icon set in the GNOME project > (https://github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-icons). Our project is > under the GPL 3 (parts of it under the LGPL), the existing UI theme I > currently have in mind is under the GPL and the desired icon theme is > licensed under the CCBYSA3. Currently we're unsure whether the > CCBYSA3 artwork can be combined with the GPL code (and the GPL theme > if we decided to use it). How is the FSF's position about it? Can > they be combined or has the icon set to be relicensed under the GPL? > I already read your license compatibility list, but unfortunately the > latest CCBYSA license mentioned there is of version 2. Could you also > update the list, please?

The CC-BY-SA licenses and the GNU GPL are mutually incompatible because both are copyleft licenses; they both require that derivatives be licensed under the same terms, and it is therefore impossible to simultaneously satisfy both licenses.

But that is only true when the works are mutually derivative, and it isn't clear that this is the case. The position of the GPL Compliance Lab has been that if the software is merely displaying the icons, could just as well display any others, and doesn't rely on specific attributes of those particular icons then they shouldn't be considered derivatives and could be distributed alongside the GPL'd work in mere aggregation (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation)

Please bear in mind that we aren't lawyers and this isn't legal advice. Also note that it isn't necessarily a given that the icon's copyright holder/s hold the same position about derivatives.

I hope this sheds some light on the issue. Please feel free to write back with any further questions.

-- I am not a lawyer, the above is not legal advice

Regards, Yoni Rabkin

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-28 19:15:29 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 28/10/13 18:37, Alexandre Prokoudine escribi:

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:

Hi,

Hi Alexandre!

Here is the latest version:

http://www.jesusda.com/files/symbolic-gimp.7z

The problem with the color picker icon persist. :S

I think it will be a great idea. Gimp looks like great with this theme.

Thanks! jEsuSdA 8)

Jehan Pagès
2013-10-29 00:57:41 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:

El 28/10/13 18:37, Alexandre Prokoudine escribió:

Reading Sven email about a possible licensing issue, and if I understand, you are the author of the icon set. Would you accept to double license your work under a GPL license? I guess this would simplify the whole discussion and problematic.

By the way, Sven, which GPL version is the theme?

Anyway yes, I would love to see a dark theme with a renewed icon set available in GIMP 2.10. :-)

Jehan

The problem with the color picker icon persist. :S

I think it will be a great idea. Gimp looks like great with this theme.

Thanks! jEsuSdA 8)

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-10-30 16:01:20 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 29/10/13 01:57, Jehan Pagès escribió:

Hi,

Reading Sven email about a possible licensing issue, and if I understand, you are the author of the icon set. Would you accept to double license your work under a GPL license? I guess this would simplify the whole discussion and problematic.

I am not the author of all icons. The main work was made by the Gnome Design Team (I think Jimmac has made this nice work). I transformed and created new ones, and I converted all the work to a gimp theme.

I have absolutely no problem to license and relicense this theme. I think there are no problem about that and I made this work not only for me, but for all gimp users.

So, if you think a dual license or relicense of the work it will be fine, then all is ok for me. ;)

Of course, you must ask Jimmac too.

Anyway yes, I would love to see a dark theme with a renewed icon set available in GIMP 2.10. :-)

The problem with CC and GPL appears to be when you include the icons in binary files. As both CC and GPL forces to mantain the same license in derivative works, is not posible to include the icon in a gimp binary and mantain the software on GPL or mantain the icons in CC, cause is the same file.

The Gimp icons ARE NOT COMPILED, are ONLY USED, and anybody can EXTRACT and MANIPULATE the icons mantaining the CC license restrictions, so, I think it is possible include a set of CC icons in Gimp and this not violate CC and GPL, cause GPL is for code and CC is for the icon theme.

Is the same case as help files or plugins. They can use other licenses, cause you can clearly separate the help files or plugin from main gimp application.

I undertand this when reading the Sven mail. I'm wrong or wright?

Thank you! jEsuSdA 8)

Jehan Pagès
2013-10-30 22:14:28 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 5:01 AM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:

Hi,

I am not the author of all icons. The main work was made by the Gnome Design Team (I think Jimmac has made this nice work). I transformed and created new ones, and I converted all the work to a gimp theme.

I have absolutely no problem to license and relicense this theme. I think there are no problem about that and I made this work not only for me, but for all gimp users.

So, if you think a dual license or relicense of the work it will be fine, then all is ok for me. ;)

Cool!

The problem with CC and GPL appears to be when you include the icons in binary files. As both CC and GPL forces to mantain the same license in derivative works, is not posible to include the icon in a gimp binary and mantain the software on GPL or mantain the icons in CC, cause is the same file.

The Gimp icons ARE NOT COMPILED, are ONLY USED, and anybody can EXTRACT and MANIPULATE the icons mantaining the CC license restrictions, so, I think it is possible include a set of CC icons in Gimp and this not violate CC and GPL, cause GPL is for code and CC is for the icon theme.

That's also what I thought and what I said earlier on this thread:

I know that the FSF says not to use it for code, but it says it is good for arts though. And I think since themes are not "compiled in" or "linked" to the code,

And Michael Schumacher answered to this by:

They are. Their icons at least, see https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/themes/Default/images/Makefile.am#n394 ff.

So well now I'm not sure anymore. Though checking the said file, I would not say they are "compiled" in, merely listed as filenames (which could therefore apply to any other set of icons with the same names). Only stock-question-64.png seems kind of compiled as pixel data into gimp-core-pixbufs.h. So I would say that if problem there were for licensing, it would be only on this icon (and since this icon displays a Wilber, I guess it was not in the original set, and you are the author, aren't you?).

Is the same case as help files or plugins. They can use other licenses, cause you can clearly separate the help files or plugin from main gimp application.

Then indeed in Sven's email, the FSF person says:

if the software is merely displaying the icons, could just as well display any others, and doesn't rely on specific attributes of those particular icons then they shouldn't be considered derivatives and could be distributed alongside the GPL'd work in mere aggregation (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation)

So here I understand that it can indeed very well apply to icons (even though they might be compiled somehow in some cases?), because a theme and icons are replaceable in "mere aggregation", and there is nothing specific about any icon set.

In any case, I would think that there is no problem at all. But same as the FSF replier said, I am no layer either. The simpler and safer is to re-license. That's why I asked. If all authors license to GPL3+, same as the rest of the code, then we just have no problem altogether, for sure.

Of course, this is only because we may want to distribute this publicly. For any icon set, theme, plugin or whatever which is not distributed (a user made it for himself) or distributed separately and aggregated to GIMP later, then there is no legal issue for the user, who is perfectly allowed to do so.

Jehan

Thank you!
jEsuSdA 8)

Michael Schumacher
2013-10-30 22:26:35 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 30.10.2013 23:14, Jehan Pagès wrote:

So well now I'm not sure anymore. Though checking the said file, I would not say they are "compiled" in, merely listed as filenames (which could therefore apply to any other set of icons with the same names). Only stock-question-64.png seems kind of compiled as pixel data into gimp-core-pixbufs.h.

Please read that whole Makefile(.am). And run make in that directory and check the results.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Schumacher
2013-10-30 22:31:56 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 28.10.2013 19:59, scl wrote:

Hi,

in matter of the unclear license situation I asked the FSF for clarification and like to share their answer (see below). It's not a legal advice, but I hope it sheds us some light on the issue.

Unfortunately your mail seems to discard the fact that the icons are run through gdk-pixbuf-csource. So the FSF probably assumed that the icons are included as individual files alongside the binaries.

Regards,
Michael
Jehan Pagès
2013-10-30 22:35:56 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

On 30.10.2013 23:14, Jehan Pagès wrote:

So well now I'm not sure anymore. Though checking the said file, I would not say they are "compiled" in, merely listed as filenames (which could therefore apply to any other set of icons with the same names). Only stock-question-64.png seems kind of compiled as pixel data into gimp-core-pixbufs.h.

Please read that whole Makefile(.am). And run make in that directory and check the results.

Yes I did read the whole Makefile.am, but I don't know how I did not see gimp-stock-pixbufs.h. :-)
Indeed all the default icons are compiled as pixels in a header.

Well the safer and simpler is to ask this Jimmac. If he is from the GNOME project, as I understand, I guess he would have no problem with double-licensing his work under GPLv3+. Is anyone in contact with him and could ask him to make an official answer (maybe on this mailing list or other public place) about it?

Thanks!

Jehan

--
Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-03 10:27:24 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

On 28.10.2013 19:59, scl wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately your mail seems to discard the fact that the icons are run through gdk-pixbuf-csource. So the FSF probably assumed that the icons are included as individual files alongside the binaries.

I wonder though. Do we *have to* compile them as source files?

I mean, users can provide their own themes, thus their own icon set too, right? And I assume these icons won't be extracted into source files, since they are loaded at runtime. So that means the default icons could be just provided "alongside" the binaries too, just as third-party's are.

So why do we extract them? Is it like for some efficiency gain reason (like the default theme would be "faster" than any third-party theme)? I mean, there cannot possibly be that a huge gain that it is worth to do so, compared to licensing issues. Or is there any other reason?
Thanks.

Jehan

--
Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD _______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-03 10:48:31 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hello Jimmac,

my name is Jehan. I am a GIMP developer. We are considering releasing the next major release of GIMP with an additional icon set, which goes well with a darker theme. A contributor (jEsuSdA, in Cc) added the missing icons and also made an alternate version which would go with a lighter theme.
See here a photo of the dark theme:
https://plus.google.com/+AlexandreProkoudine/posts/LP1pWr7YEgA And here the light theme: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=60269

It seems you were the original author of the icon set, which maybe you can confirm us by having a look at the screenshots.

If not mistaken, your work is under a Cc by-sa 3.0 license, which is a fine license, but would be a problem for one of the default icon set provided in the official GIMP release, because we actually compile the icons into source code. And the problem is that Creative Common by-sa is not compatible with GPLv3.
So my question is simple: would you accept to double-license this specific set of icons as GPLv3 to allow us to safely include it in our next major release of GIMP?
Thank you very much.

Jehan

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 5:01 AM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:

Hi,

Thank you! jEsuSdA 8)

scl
2013-11-03 11:53:44 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 3.11.2013 at 12:51 PM Jehan Pagès wrote:> Hello Jimmac,

my name is Jehan. I am a GIMP developer. We are considering releasing the next major release of GIMP with an additional icon set, which goes well with a darker theme. A contributor (jEsuSdA, in Cc) added the missing icons and also made an alternate version which would go with a lighter theme.

[...]

Two people with the same idea ;-) For completeness, here is the mail I've sent to jimmac:

Hi Jakub,

I'm Sven Claussner and have been a GIMP contributor for ca. 1 year. After we spoke in IRC on 30.9.2013 about using your Artlibre icon set for GIMP, some questions on distributing it together with GIMP came up. The plans are to create a dark UI theme together with an extended version of the Artlibre icon set and distribute it as part of GIMP.

Our current problem is a license issue: The GIMP code is mainly under GPLv3 and the icon set under CC-BY-SA3. Looking at the [FSF licence list] I read that GPLv3 and CC-BY-SA2 are mutually incompatible; with no notices about the CC-BY-SA3. I asked the FSF for clarification and their point is, that 'if the software is merely displaying the icons, could just as well display any others, and doesn't rely on specific attributes of those particular icons,' then there's no problem. I'd say, that's clearly the case, but then the doubts arose if this still applies if they are part of the compiled package (IMHO especially in the cases when GIMP comes in an installer package). The artist who created the extensions to the Artlibre icon set would have no problem to license it under GPLv3.

You can also follow this [discussion] on the GIMP-developer mailing list.

Can you give us an answer on how to proceed now, please? Is it safe or do we have or need the agreement of the ArtLibre creators to ship it with GIMP?
Should I better bring up this topic on the GNOME desktop-devel-list?

I'd be grateful for your answer, preferably on the GIMP developer list.

Thank you in advance,

Sven

[FSF licence list]: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OtherLicenses

[discussion]: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2013-October/msg00020.html

scl
2013-11-05 15:59:19 UTC (over 10 years ago)

HELP with SYMBOLIC icon theme for Gimp: license

Hi,

Jakub Steiner answered me. He and Barbara Muraus (the other icon designer who created the ArtLibre icon set) are ok with relicensing it under the GPLv3. We agreed to mention their names in the sources.

Jehan, if you have planned to work on this, please let me know to save us from duplication of work ;-)

Kind regards,

Sven

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-11-05 16:08:02 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 05/11/13 16:59, scl escribi:

Hi,

Jakub Steiner answered me. He and Barbara Muraus (the other icon designer who created the ArtLibre icon set) are ok with relicensing it under the GPLv3. We agreed to mention their names in the sources.

Jehan, if you have planned to work on this, please let me know to save us from duplication of work ;-)

Kind regards,

Sven

Great news, Sven!

If you need any help I can give you, please let me know.

Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-05 22:13:00 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:59 AM, scl wrote:

Hi,

No, no prob, go on. I'm not planning to do any work that someone else is willing to do instead. :p

Jehan

Kind regards,

Sven

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-25 06:05:12 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi jEsuSdA,

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:08 AM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:

El 05/11/13 16:59, scl escribió:

Hi,

Kind regards,

Sven

Great news, Sven!

If you need any help I can give you, please let me know.

Today I've wanted to actually check the theme and see how it is, other than as a screenshot. Your archive found in http://www.jesusda.com/files/symbolic-gimp.7z is the last version? Also it looks like it comprises only the icons for the light background theme, doesn't it?
Where are the original light icons for a dark background theme?

Regards,

Jehan

Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-11-25 13:27:14 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 25/11/13 07:05, Jehan Pagès escribió:

Hi jEsuSdA,

Hi Jehan,

Today I've wanted to actually check the theme and see how it is, other than as a screenshot. Your archive found in http://www.jesusda.com/files/symbolic-gimp.7z is the last version?

Yes, is the latest one.

Also it looks like it comprises only the icons for the light background theme, doesn't it?

Here the light one:

http://www.jesusda.com/files/symbolic-gimp_light.7z

The light one is not 100% finished. Maybe there are some little icons I must to correct. ;)

Where are the original light icons for a dark background theme?

The original theme is hosted at gnome-design-team highub:

https://github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-icons/tree/master/art-libre-symbolic/src

Regards,

Jehan

Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-27 06:04:21 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:27 AM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:

El 25/11/13 07:05, Jehan Pagès escribió:

Also it looks like it comprises only the icons for the light background theme, doesn't it?

Here the light one:

http://www.jesusda.com/files/symbolic-gimp_light.7z

Thanks jEsuSdA!

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:59 AM, scl wrote:

Hi,

No, no prob, go on. I'm not planning to do any work that someone else is willing to do instead. :p

Actually Sven, I was thinking if you would mind if I set up a feature branch for this? I have already started to have a look now, and also already fixed some bug on the darken images.

I will also set up the wiki page that you wished, so that we can all work together. Is it good?

I have a friend who wants to help to complete the missing stock icons. Also am I right to assume that we want to have *all* icons in this style, and get rid of all the generic GTK+ icons too?

Jehan

Jehan

Kind regards,

Sven

jEsuSdA 8)
2013-11-27 07:24:40 UTC (over 10 years ago)

El 27/11/13 07:04, Jehan Pagès escribió:

Also am I right to assume that we want to have*all* icons in this style, and get rid of all the generic GTK+ icons too?

I like it!
When using a desktop icon theme like Faenza, Gimp looks like great, but if you use another more colorful icon theme, it looks like a bit strange. :D

I want to help to do that! ;)

Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)

Jehan Pagès
2013-11-27 07:28:45 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:

El 27/11/13 07:04, Jehan Pagès escribió:

Also am I right to assume that we want to have*all* icons in this

style, and get rid of all the generic GTK+ icons too?

I like it!
When using a desktop icon theme like Faenza, Gimp looks like great, but if you use another more colorful icon theme, it looks like a bit strange. :D

Ok I'll make a small list of all the missing icons. There seems to be quite a few. And I'll add it in a wiki pageof wiki.gimp.org. Since there may be several designer who want to give a try to draw the missing icons, I guess I'll ask to every one who wants to do so to write his name in front of an icon before starting to create it.

I'll follow up with the link later.

Jehan

I want to help to do that! ;)

Salu2 de jEsuSdA 8)