RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to change the source code for removing the filename suggesting behavior of Saving dialog in Gimp 2.4.7

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

minhsien0330
2013-07-12 12:43:00 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

How to change the source code for removing the filename suggesting behavior of Saving dialog in Gimp 2.4.7

Dear gimp developers:
For some reasons, I need to stick on gimp 2.4.7. Now I want to remove the codes about "the filename suggestion behavior" of Save Dialog (as attachment ) and recompile gimp, but I am not a gtk programer, I don't how to do it.
Would you tell me which file and which line should be modified, please? Thank you very much.

Note: I had asked this question to gimp-user mailing list some days ago , but not no suggestion about source code so far. So I resend it to gimp-developer-list, I hope someone would give me a help to make it. Sorry and thanks again ~

Best Regards, Minhsien0330

minhsien0330
2013-07-13 01:56:36 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Dear developers:
I attached some files here that may be related to the filename suggestion behavior.
Would you take a look and tell me what to modify?

Thank you very much.

2013/7/12 minhsien0330

Dear gimp developers:
For some reasons, I need to stick on gimp 2.4.7. Now I want to remove the codes about "the filename suggestion behavior" of Save Dialog (as attachment ) and recompile gimp, but I am not a gtk programer, I don't how to do it.
Would you tell me which file and which line should be modified, please? Thank you very much.

Note: I had asked this question to gimp-user mailing list some days ago , but not no suggestion about source code so far. So I resend it to gimp-developer-list, I hope someone would give me a help to make it. Sorry and thanks again ~

minhsien0330
2013-07-14 02:06:44 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Dear developers:
Please help!!!
I think it may be something about gtk.FileChooser https://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/2.24/GtkFileChooser.html

Would you tell me which KEYWORD is related to this filename suggestion behavior?

gtk_file_chooser_set_current_name ? gtk_file_chooser_set_filename ?
gtk_file_chooser_set_uri ?
gtk_file_chooser_set_file ?

Please give me a help! Thank you.

2013/7/14 minhsien0330

Dear developers:
I uploaded another 3 files, please take a look. Would you tell me which to modify? or any other keywords for this problem? Thanks a lot!!!

Best Regards,
Minhsien0330

2013/7/13 minhsien0330

Dear developers:
I attached some files here that may be related to the filename suggestion behavior.

Thank you very much.

2013/7/12 minhsien0330

Dear gimp developers:

Jehan Pagès
2013-07-14 04:07:38 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Hello Minhsien0330,

I think I can respond on behalf on most developers here to say that programming is not that easy for us to just be able to tell you what is to be changed in a snap. It would require someone to checkout this very old code, test it, then read the code, understand it, see where your problem (which I personally hardly understand with your explanation, you should be more accurate) is, then what is the right fix. In other words, even for a problem which may look (or even be) simple, it may take a long time (more or less depending on the developer and how well one knows the GIMP code, but still too much).

Moreover you have a use case which does not even appear as a bug to me (why remove filename suggestion behavior? At best if you don't like this suggestion, this is a feature request for better usability maybe, not a bug), and on an extremely old version of GIMP (I see the last commit on gimp-2-4 version is 2008! That's like dinosaur code in an active software like GIMP). So that's not even a code we'll be able or want to reuse anyway.
In other words, I feel that none will be able to help.

You are free to find your solution yourself and change the code on a private repository, even redistribute it if you believe other people would appreciate it. You can also hire someone to do it for you. The software is Free, the code is modifiable, and so on. That's what the GPL license is for.
But I hardly believe anyone from the current team will step up otherwise and do it for free. This is not that we don't want to help. But we all have limited time and I am pretty sure I can speak for others too saying we prefer to use this time for features useful to anyone AND on the current development version. I hope you will understand. And sorry for this. I sincerely hope you will find a solution to your problem, but don't take personally the fact that none answered you until now. And unfortunately for you, I doubt you will have much more answer later as well.

Jehan

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM, minhsien0330 wrote:

Dear developers:
Please help!!!
I think it may be something about gtk.FileChooser https://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/2.24/GtkFileChooser.html

Would you tell me which KEYWORD is related to this filename suggestion behavior?

gtk_file_chooser_set_current_name ? gtk_file_chooser_set_filename ?
gtk_file_chooser_set_uri ?
gtk_file_chooser_set_file ?

Please give me a help! Thank you.

2013/7/14 minhsien0330

Dear developers:
I uploaded another 3 files, please take a look. Would you tell me which to modify? or any other keywords for this problem? Thanks a lot!!!

Best Regards,
Minhsien0330

2013/7/13 minhsien0330

Dear developers:

Thank you very much.

2013/7/12 minhsien0330

Dear gimp developers:

_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list