RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Proposal: tool-preset thumbnails/icons.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Proposal: tool-preset thumbnails/icons. T Hall 07 Jul 15:57
  Proposal: tool-preset thumbnails/icons. Alexia Death 09 Jul 13:27
T Hall
2012-07-07 15:57:40 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

Hello,

Please consider the following feature suggestion.

I propose to allow each tool preset to be assigned a small custom thumbnail image (by the creator of the preset/the user) in place of the current tool icon. The purpose of this image would be as follows: 1. To make presets easily recognisable at a glance. 2. To make if possible to display presets in a grid (i.e. without names, just thumbnails). This would allow more presets to be visible and selectable in the Tool Presets dockable dialog, without it taking up the entire dock area.

I suggest these thumbnails could be created either by loading/pasting an image, or painting directly onto a small canvas available via the Edit Tool Preset dialog.

Note:
1. You can already select an icon from a list. However, none of these icons are particularly suited to distinguishing presets. 2. If the type of tool is considered important, a much smaller version of the current tool icon could be added in the corner of the thumbnail. (Currently, selecting a different icon hides the preset type, so presumably this is not a concern) 3. The current tool preset icons don't actually seem to be the right size (they are pixellated), which makes me wonder if they are just standing in for a larger image that whoever wrote the Tool Presets dialog expected to have.
4. Most of these suggestions could also apply to Paint Dynamics items.

Regards, T. Hall

Alexia Death
2012-07-09 13:27:40 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM, T Hall wrote:

Hello,

Please consider the following feature suggestion.

I propose to allow each tool preset to be assigned a small custom thumbnail image (by the creator of the preset/the user) in place of the current tool icon. The purpose of this image would be as follows: 1. To make presets easily recognisable at a glance. 2. To make if possible to display presets in a grid (i.e. without names, just thumbnails). This would allow more presets to be visible and selectable in the Tool Presets dockable dialog, without it taking up the entire dock area.

Both of these suggestions were in the inital plan for tool presets and are dependent of each other, they just havent been implemented yet.