RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Platform support and caching

This discussion is connected to the gegl-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Platform support and caching Rasmus Bonnedal 22 Oct 17:41
Platform support and caching Øyvind Kolås 23 Oct 00:37
Platform support and caching Sven Neumann 23 Oct 18:31
Rasmus Bonnedal
2006-10-22 17:41:20 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi!

I've recently discovered gegl and I think it's an excellent approach to image processing. I have two questions:

1. I have found no list of supported platforms so I tried to build it on Cygwin but it fails because of differences in the dynamic library mechanism between Windows and Linux. Are there any plans on Windows or Cygwin support?

2. When trying simple tests it seems to me that there are mechanisms present for caching the results of an entire filter chain, but no caching between nodes. What I would like to do is something like this:

Image Loader -> Expensive Filter -> Cheap Filter -> Result

Then I would like to change parameters on the cheap filter without having to recalculate the expensive filter over and over again. Is this behaviour possible in the current gegl framework?

Best regards, Rasmus

Øyvind Kolås
2006-10-23 00:37:16 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 10/22/06, Rasmus Bonnedal wrote:

1. I have found no list of supported platforms so I tried to build it on Cygwin but it fails because of differences in the dynamic library mechanism between Windows and Linux. Are there any plans on Windows or Cygwin support?

People who care about win32 will have to do that work, I do not care; and in my opinion there is no hurry to make it work on that platform.

2. When trying simple tests it seems to me that there are mechanisms present for caching the results of an entire filter chain, but no caching between nodes. What I would like to do is something like this:

Image Loader -> Expensive Filter -> Cheap Filter -> Result

Then I would like to change parameters on the cheap filter without having to recalculate the expensive filter over and over again. Is this behaviour possible in the current gegl framework?

This is something I do care about, and I am currently working on monitoring the graph and properties for changes to compute the bounding box of the region that needs recomputation when things have changed. This coupled with caching similar to what you describe (and also described in
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=357261 ) should speed up interaction speed.

/Øyvind K.

Sven Neumann
2006-10-23 18:31:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 00:37 +0200, Øyvind Kolås wrote:

On 10/22/06, Rasmus Bonnedal wrote:

People who care about win32 will have to do that work, I do not care; and in my opinion there is no hurry to make it work on that platform.

glib is supposed to abstract this problem away. It might make sense to consider using this functionality.

Sven