RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Introduction

This discussion is connected to the gegl-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Introduction reasamp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org 20 Oct 09:32
Introduction Martin Nordholts 20 Oct 10:28
Introduction reasamp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org 21 Oct 16:21
reasamp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
2006-10-20 09:32:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Introduction

Hello everyone,
I just joined the group, and would like to be able to contribute somewhere. A few years back I was working on how various types of data yield themselves to automated processing, and was intrigued at how additional metadata and vector-based shapes could increase the flexibility of an image. With limited knowledge in image processing techniques, however, I couldn't continue much further then.

When I saw the home page of GEGL, it said that someone here might be willing to teach me the basics to help me start here. Well, that would be great if someone could refer me to some intro materials. I am mostly interested in the core manipulating tools this library makes available, so if some of them needs to be completed/refabricated I am up for them, provided someone helps me start out.

How much do I already know? Well, I am a competitor in various programming competitions, so I know the basics algorithms of dynamic programming, flow (how some of its applications relate to images), basic graph theory and all.

Is there anyone to help me get started? Once I know the basics of the trade, I am sure I can find something I want to contribute.

reasamp

Martin Nordholts
2006-10-20 10:28:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Introduction

Welcome reasamp!

The first thing you should do is to read up on the type system and object oriented framework used in GEGL, GIMP and lots and lots of other applications, namely GObject.

I am myself rather new to this library, and at a first GObject can be a bit hard to grasp, because of the rather verbose syntax, but if you already are familiar with OO from C++ for intsance, you should be able to pick up on this rather quickly. While reading about GObject, refer to the GEGL source to see how the library is used "for real".

- Martin Nordholts

From: reasamp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org To: gegl-developer-rmKnrA0qjLN8ewv5kxBBegeohdPTXOoP@public.gmane.org Subject: [Gegl-developer] Introduction Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:32:34 +0600

Hello everyone, I just joined the group, and would like to be able to contribute somewhere. A few years back I was working on how various types of data yield themselves
to automated processing, and was intrigued at how additional metadata and vector-based shapes could increase the flexibility of an image. With limited
knowledge in image processing techniques, however, I couldn't continue much further then.

When I saw the home page of GEGL, it said that someone here might be willing
to teach me the basics to help me start here. Well, that would be great if someone could refer me to some intro materials. I am mostly interested in the core manipulating tools this library makes available, so if some of them
needs to be completed/refabricated I am up for them, provided someone helps me start out.

How much do I already know? Well, I am a competitor in various programming competitions, so I know the basics algorithms of dynamic programming, flow (how some of its applications relate to images), basic graph theory and all.

Is there anyone to help me get started? Once I know the basics of the trade,
I am sure I can find something I want to contribute.

reasamp

reasamp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
2006-10-21 16:21:17 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Introduction

On 10/20/06, Martin Nordholts wrote:

Welcome reasamp!

The first thing you should do is to read up on the type system and object oriented framework used in GEGL, GIMP and lots and lots of other applications, namely GObject.

Thanks. I was already reading through the GLib API, but this one seems to be a much better starting point. And yes, as you said my familiarity with C++ seems to be helping. Just to confirm, the major extra feature I saw in this library was that of dynamic type registration ... something not provided by native C++ language symantecs. Is there any other part of the library I should pay special attention to?

I checked out the CVS codebase, and have started going through it. My lack of familiarity with Glib is producing the predictable hinderence, but I think I can start getting used to things as I work on them. I will appreciate it if someone guides me into the various parts of the code ... what's where etc. but really, given the time I can figure out some of that by myself. What I cannot do on myself is know more about the actual algorithms and techniques involved. Some references would definitely help here.

And once again, thanks to Martin Nordholts for his prompt reply.

reasamp