RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

feature request -- reduce my mouse clicking by 90%

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

feature request -- reduce my mouse clicking by 90% Alec Battles 19 Apr 13:13
  feature request -- reduce my mouse clicking by 90% Bill Skaggs 19 Apr 20:54
  feature request -- reduce my mouse clicking by 90% Joao S. O. Bueno 20 Apr 05:19
Alec Battles
2012-04-19 13:13:23 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

hi. i've had a feature request i've wanted to make for ages now, so i figured i might as well make it.

if anyone's sitting there thinking, wow i'd like to do some gimp hacking, please read on.

the problem is this. i'm a command line cowboy mostly, and i usually opt for an imagemagick solution much quicker than i opt for a gimp solution. i understand that this has mostly to do with temperament.

there are times when i need gimp, though. and when i need it, i usually like it.

except for one thing. i tend to open a lot of *windows*. sometimes too many.

here's two things that would make my life easier:

1) simple request

i've opened a lot of windows, and i want to be able to save every window in a (variable) directory with a (variable) set of defaults for a (variable) extension. seeing as how gimp seems to save defaults on a per-extension basis, this doesn't seem like it would be too hard.

obviously this would not work for windows that did not yet have filenames assigned, but it would be a huge bonus for me.

2) complicated request

for really complicated guillotines, allow saving guide positions to a 'guide file'. then make a handy way to do all of the slicing via the command line, given a guide file and the image named in the guide file.

Alec

Bill Skaggs
2012-04-19 20:54:25 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

The first task would be straightforward to do with a plugin, at least for a limited set of common file types. I suspect the second would be as well, but I've never used the guillotine functions so can't say for sure.

-- Bill

Joao S. O. Bueno
2012-04-20 05:19:18 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

On 19 April 2012 10:13, Alec Battles wrote:

hi. i've had a feature request i've wanted to make for ages now, so i figured i might as well make it.

if anyone's sitting there thinking, wow i'd like to do some gimp hacking, please read on.

the problem is this. i'm a command line cowboy mostly, and i usually opt for an imagemagick solution much quicker than i opt for a gimp solution. i understand that this has mostly to do with temperament.

there are times when i need gimp, though. and when i need it, i usually like it.

except for one thing. i tend to open a lot of *windows*. sometimes too many.

here's two things that would make my life easier:

1) simple request

i've opened a lot of windows, and i want to be able to save every window in a (variable) directory with a (variable) set of defaults for a (variable) extension. seeing as how gimp seems to save defaults on a per-extension basis, this doesn't seem like it would be too hard.

obviously this would not work for windows that did not yet have filenames assigned, but it would be a huge bonus for me.

2) complicated request

for really complicated guillotines, allow saving guide positions to a 'guide file'. then make a handy way to do all of the slicing via the command line, given a guide file and the image named in the guide file.

Hi -

I can only recoment that you take a little time to learn "driving" GIMP through one of the two scripting languages that have full API access - you can do it either iwth a Python console or a scheme console.

Python, in particular, will give you very flexible and easy ways to "save all open images to a folder using this name pattern". After exploring the possibilities interactively, you can put together what you found out works best in your workflow and create a script or plug-in to do that automatically.

Otherwise, if you want to formalize these feature requests, open them properly at bugzilla.gnome.org - people will forget about them on the list.

Alec
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
gimp-developer-list@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list