RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

An appeal for insight into the development of GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

An appeal for insight into the development of GIMP Martin Schönberger 12 Apr 02:05
  An appeal for insight into the development of GIMP gfxuser 12 Apr 04:48
  An appeal for insight into the development of GIMP Michael Natterer 12 Apr 07:43
Martin Schönberger
2012-04-12 02:05:43 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

Dear developers of GIMP!

I am a student of Software Engineering at the Vienna University of Technology and currently writing my master thesis on project management and the development methods used in open source projects. In my research I analyzed open source development and compared it with elements found in various proprietary approaches, both agile and well-defined.

But to provide balanced and up-to-date results my work relies on first- hand information and expert opinion, for which I need your help. GIMP matches my criteria regarding size, activity and available information and I would be glad to include it in my case study.

I am looking for an interview partner with good insight into the project structure and a solid overview of all stages of development, ideally a member of the core team with long-term dedication to the project.

The interview would take about 20 minutes on Skype (or a similar phone- based tool). If you prefer a written chat, that can be arranged as well. My daily schedule is flexible, so whatever time suits you best should work for me.

The subject areas I would like to cover in the interview are GIMP's:

* Development flow and release cycles * Social structures, responsibilities and decision making * Code structure and architectural considerations * Special conditions caused by the open source environment

I realize your time might be scarce, but if you decide to contribute to this case study your help shall be all the more appreciated. Once finished I will gladly share my results and any new insights gained on the topic with you.

Kind regards,

Martin Schnberger (maschonber@gmail.com)

gimp-developer-list mailing list
gimp-developer-list@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list
gfxuser
2012-04-12 04:48:22 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

Hi Martin,

* Development flow and release cycles * Social structures, responsibilities and decision making * Code structure and architectural considerations * Special conditions caused by the open source environment

As potential contributor I'm very interested in answers to these questions, too.

I realize your time might be scarce, but if you decide to contribute to this case study your help shall be all the more appreciated. Once finished I will gladly share my results and any new insights gained on the topic with you.

I would appreciate this. If you want to tell, which other projects have you planned to interview and what is your scheduling to have finished?

Best regards and I wish you success with your thesis,

grafxuser

Michael Natterer
2012-04-12 07:43:33 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 03:05 +0100, Martin Schönberger wrote:

Dear developers of GIMP!

I am a student of Software Engineering at the Vienna University of Technology

Then I suggest you show up at LGM http://libre-graphics-meeting.org/2012/ which will be in Vienna in the first week of May, there will be quite some people you could interview.

Regards, --mitch

and currently writing my master thesis on project management and the development methods used in open source projects. In my research I analyzed open source development and compared it with elements found in various proprietary approaches, both agile and well-defined.

But to provide balanced and up-to-date results my work relies on first- hand information and expert opinion, for which I need your help. GIMP matches my criteria regarding size, activity and available information and I would be glad to include it in my case study.

I am looking for an interview partner with good insight into the project structure and a solid overview of all stages of development, ideally a member of the core team with long-term dedication to the project.

The interview would take about 20 minutes on Skype (or a similar phone- based tool). If you prefer a written chat, that can be arranged as well. My daily schedule is flexible, so whatever time suits you best should work for me.

Kind regards,

Martin Schönberger (maschonber@gmail.com)
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
gimp-developer-list@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list