RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GLIB version error while compiling GIMP with MacPorts

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GLIB version error while compiling GIMP with MacPorts Chen Hsiang-Ting 13 Apr 16:57
  GLIB version error while compiling GIMP with MacPorts Tim Chen 14 Apr 16:09
   GLIB version error while compiling GIMP with MacPorts Akkana Peck 14 Apr 16:52
GLIB version error while compiling GIMP with MacPorts Tim Chen 14 Apr 17:40
  GLIB version error while compiling GIMP with MacPorts Tim Chen 21 Apr 13:23
   GLIB version error while compiling GIMP with MacPorts Tobias Jakobs 26 Apr 09:04
Chen Hsiang-Ting
2011-04-13 16:57:00 UTC (almost 13 years ago)

Hi all,

I were trying to build GIMP 2.6 with MacPorts. However, I got several problems while issuing the ./configure

The first problem I met is that it can not find libtiff/libjpg and I fix it following some old thread in the archive by adding

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib

Then comes the second problem regarding the incorrect version number of GLib. The error message is as follow

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.20.0... no *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why... *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means *** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong *** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point *** to the installed location Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that *** is required on your system
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH configure: error: Test for GLIB failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

However, I have already installed the Glib via MacPorts

bash-3.2$ port installed | grep glib dbus-glib @0.92_0 (active)
glib2-devel @2.27.93_0 (active)

So, I am stuck here, anyone ever tried to build GIMP on Mac?

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

Tim Chen
2011-04-14 16:09:00 UTC (almost 13 years ago)

OK, after some hard time, I manage to get GIMP built.

Typically, I follow the instruction in http://clockwork.fr/how-to-compile-gimp-271-on-snow-leopard/

Note that one has to install gtk2 using command below to avoid some weird dependency problems

port install gtk2 +no_x11 +quartz +universal

However, another problem arises after the successful GIMP build.

When I launched GIMP, some error messages regarding pygtk shows

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/python-eval.py", line 19, in from gimpfu import *
File "/usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/python/gimpfu.py", line 76, in import gimp
ImportError: could not import pygtk

(gimp-console-2.7:43828): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp-console-2.7: gimp_wire_read(): error

with other similar errors referring to

python-console.py, py-slice.py, palette-to-gradient.py, palette-sort.py, palette-offset.py, foggify.py, colorxhtml.py

I found an old thread with similar problem at

http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2008-February/019751.html

which suggests setting the PYTHONPATH might fix the problem.

However, it did not work here.

Any suggessions?

Thanks in advance, Tim

On Apr 14, 2011, at 12:57 AM, Chen Hsiang-Ting wrote:

Hi all,

I were trying to build GIMP 2.6 with MacPorts. However, I got several problems while issuing the ./configure

The first problem I met is that it can not find libtiff/libjpg and I fix it following some old thread in the archive by adding

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib

Then comes the second problem regarding the incorrect version number of GLib. The error message is as follow

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.20.0... no *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why... *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means *** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong *** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point *** to the installed location Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that *** is required on your system
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH configure: error: Test for GLIB failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

However, I have already installed the Glib via MacPorts

bash-3.2$ port installed | grep glib dbus-glib @0.92_0 (active)
glib2-devel @2.27.93_0 (active)

So, I am stuck here, anyone ever tried to build GIMP on Mac?

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

Akkana Peck
2011-04-14 16:52:18 UTC (almost 13 years ago)

Tim Chen writes:

Note that one has to install gtk2 using command below to avoid some weird dependency problems

Most Linux people have to recompile gtk2 (and its dependencies) to build GIMP now too.

Did you build python-gtk? It's a separate package, with its own dependency set.

Last time I watched someone try to build python-gtk from Macports, it turned out to be a lot easier just to download the tarballs and build and install them by hand. Macports wanted to bring in all kinds of crazy dependencies, including recompiling X and three different versions of Perl, all of them built from source. But maybe they've fixed the dependencies since then.

...Akkana

Tim Chen
2011-04-14 17:40:16 UTC (almost 13 years ago)

woop, sorry for the short reply in last mail.

Yes, I did install python gtk via MacPorts.

It is actually kind of easy right now, just use port install py-gtk2, then all set :D

As to recompiling gtk2, it seems like that the quartz variant on MacPorts introduces less problems.

thanks for your reply, -Tim

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Tim Chen wrote:

Yes,

On Apr 15, 2011, at 12:52 AM, Akkana Peck wrote:

Tim Chen writes:

Most Linux people have to recompile gtk2 (and its dependencies) to build GIMP now too.

Last time I watched someone try to build python-gtk from Macports, it turned out to be a lot easier just to download the tarballs and build and install them by hand. Macports wanted to bring in all kinds of crazy dependencies, including recompiling X and three different versions of Perl, all of them built from source. But maybe they've fixed the dependencies since then.

...Akkana _______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

Tim Chen
2011-04-21 13:23:37 UTC (almost 13 years ago)

In the end, I build GIMP successfully with native gtk-osx and jhbuild.

As a reference to those who might want to build GIMP on Mac, I wrote down my experience at

https://sites.google.com/site/httimchen/2011_imagesvn/build-gimp-on-mac

thanks for the help, -Tim

On Apr 15, 2011, at 1:40 AM, Tim Chen wrote:

woop, sorry for the short reply in last mail.

Yes, I did install python gtk via MacPorts.

It is actually kind of easy right now, just use port install py-gtk2, then all set :D

As to recompiling gtk2, it seems like that the quartz variant on MacPorts introduces less problems.

thanks for your reply, -Tim

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Tim Chen wrote:

Yes,

On Apr 15, 2011, at 12:52 AM, Akkana Peck wrote:

Tim Chen writes:

...Akkana _______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

Tobias Jakobs
2011-04-26 09:04:11 UTC (almost 13 years ago)

Hi Tim,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 15:23, Tim Chen wrote:

In the end, I build GIMP successfully with native gtk-osx and jhbuild.

As a reference to those who might want to build GIMP on Mac, I wrote down my experience at

https://sites.google.com/site/httimchen/2011_imagesvn/build-gimp-on-mac

It would be cool, if you could add this to the gimp wiki: http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Main_Page

Regards, Tobias