RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Option to save images without embedded ICC profile

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

19 of 20 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Jason Simanek 03 Mar 15:22
  Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Jay Smith 03 Mar 16:08
   Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Jay Smith 03 Mar 19:14
    Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Jason Simanek 03 Mar 20:19
     Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Sven Neumann 03 Mar 20:30
     Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Patrick Horgan 05 Mar 00:58
      Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Jason Simanek 05 Mar 06:22
       Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Patrick Horgan 06 Mar 09:49
  Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Yoshinori Yamakawa 03 Mar 16:27
  Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Martin Nordholts 03 Mar 16:42
  Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Sven Neumann 03 Mar 20:15
   Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Graeme Gill 03 Mar 20:22
    Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Sven Neumann 03 Mar 20:42
     Option to save images without embedded ICC profile yahvuu 03 Mar 22:46
      Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Sven Neumann 03 Mar 23:25
77306d311003031207s7ecb3da1... 07 Oct 20:28
  Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Jason Simanek 03 Mar 23:33
   Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Sven Neumann 04 Mar 09:13
    Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Jason Simanek 04 Mar 15:13
     Option to save images without embedded ICC profile Omari Stephens 04 Mar 18:47
Jason Simanek
2010-03-03 15:22:42 UTC (about 14 years ago)

Hello,

Apparently I was supposed to discuss any potential new features with the developer mailing list prior to filing a bug. Sven Neumann pointed this out to me. Thanks Sven.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=610944

For web designers it is essential to have the option to either include or exclude color profiles on images that are created with Gimp. It would be great to have a checkbox on the save/export dialog or the Save for Web plugin dialog that would allow you to exclude the color profile.

Sven suggested I just 'unset the color profile' on the image, but the option doesn't seem to exist. I'm running Gimp 2.6.7 on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10. Under

File > Image > Mode >

I have the options 'Assign Color Profile' and 'Convert Color Profile'. Neither of these gives me the option to 'unset the color profile'. If the option isn't available next to these color profile options, what is the next logical place for that option to be located?

Adding it to the Save for Web plugin (why else would you NOT want a color profile included?) makes sense to me because that is the least destructive way to do such a thing. This is in line with your recent changes to 'Save' being non-destructive and 'Export' representing the act of saving images to 'destructive' formats/settings.

I think this is similar to the act of switching from RGB colorspace to indexed colors. Sure, you can do it on the document itself, but suggesting that that is the best approach is disregarding the real world workflow of producing images for the web.

On the other hand, is it possible that Ubuntu has mucked up something here? Scribus likes to point the finger at Ubuntu a lot. This option to 'unset the color profile' might exist, but doesn't on Ubuntu for some reason?

I apologize if I'm missing something obvious, but I've looked all over and the online manual doesn't mention this and I can't even find a blogger talking about the subject. All of the literature just assumes that color management and including color profiles in images is always the desired route. It SHOULD be, but this isn't a perfect world and the web certainly has a long way to go before all browsers support color profiles consistently.

Your patience and guidance is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jason Simanek

Jay Smith
2010-03-03 16:08:42 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 03/03/2010 09:22 AM, Jason Simanek wrote:

Hello,

For web designers it is essential to have the option to either include or exclude color profiles on images that are created with Gimp. It would be great to have a checkbox on the save/export dialog or the Save for Web plugin dialog that would allow you to exclude the color profile.

Please excuse this ignorant question, but....

Could someone please explain or supply a link/reference that gives more background to the statement "For web designers it is essential to have the option to either include or exclude color profiles on images...".

I am sure I am missing something important. Why would you specifically want a color profile to NOT be present ... specifically for web-use images?

Thank you.

Jay

Yoshinori Yamakawa
2010-03-03 16:27:03 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 08:22:42 -0600 Jason Simanek wrote:

I have the options 'Assign Color Profile' and 'Convert Color Profile'. Neither of these gives me the option to 'unset the color profile'. If the option isn't available next to these color profile options, what is the next logical place for that option to be located?

Try to use icc_colorspace plug-in bundled with Separate+.

(Demo video -> http://cue.yellowmagic.info/files/profile.mp4)

Separate+ is available at http://cue.yellowmagic.info/softwares/separate-plus/

Martin Nordholts
2010-03-03 16:42:11 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 03/03/2010 03:22 PM, Jason Simanek wrote:

Hello,

Apparently I was supposed to discuss any potential new features with the developer mailing list prior to filing a bug. Sven Neumann pointed this out to me. Thanks Sven.

There have been a UI proposal by yahvuu recently [1] where he suggests to have the option to export or not to export the color profile when exporting an image. We should continue that discussion. It is much easier to discuss an entire solution than a detail in a solution.

/ Martin

[1] http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2010-February/024222.html

Jay Smith
2010-03-03 19:14:07 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 03/03/2010 10:08 AM, Jay Smith wrote:

On 03/03/2010 09:22 AM, Jason Simanek wrote:

Hello,

Please excuse this ignorant question, but....

Could someone please explain or supply a link/reference that gives more background to the statement "For web designers it is essential to have the option to either include or exclude color profiles on images...".

I am sure I am missing something important. Why would you specifically want a color profile to NOT be present ... specifically for web-use images?

Thank you.

Jay

I have answered my own question, but it took about half hour of searching to find this.

Here is a great reference site exactly on this subject....

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

For people like me, I recommend reading it thoroughly AND following all his links. It does go on a bit, but there are many pearls in it. Too bad he does not seem to talk about Gimp, but the content is still great.

Jay

Sven Neumann
2010-03-03 20:15:17 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 08:22 -0600, Jason Simanek wrote:

Sven suggested I just 'unset the color profile' on the image, but the option doesn't seem to exist. I'm running Gimp 2.6.7 on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10. Under

File > Image > Mode >

I have the options 'Assign Color Profile' and 'Convert Color Profile'.

You assign the sRGB profile. That is equivalent to un-setting the color profile.

Sven

Jason Simanek
2010-03-03 20:19:03 UTC (about 14 years ago)

Hope my message didn't add too much of a stir. yahvuu's proposal does indeed encompass the small feature that I was requesting as well as other features that sound excellent.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Jay Smith wrote:

Here is a great reference site exactly on this subject....

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

For people like me, I recommend reading it thoroughly AND following all his links.  It does go on a bit, but there are many pearls in it.  Too bad he does not seem to talk about Gimp, but the content is still great.

For the issues that I'm concerned with (I'm a professional web designer/developer) skip to the part titled "ANOTHER PROBLEM with Embedding ICC Profiles:" on the gballard.net page linked to by Jay Smith. That's problem I'm dealing with that forces me to open certain Gimp-created images in Photoshop in order to strip out the color profile.

Gballard doesn't mention that Firefox, when its color management is enabled, actually does website color management correctly, since it applies color profiles to both images and HMTL/CSS-defined colors. But that really doesn't affect the discussion as it pertains to Gimp. And besides, Firefox's color management is not enabled by default.

Sven says:

You assign the sRGB profile.
That is equivalent to un-setting the color profile.

That's not true in my experience. Yes, sRGB should be as good as NOT having a profile since sRGB is the ASSUMED color space on most computersy. But Gimp still adds a color profile to the image: an sRGB color profile. This still causes all of the color mismatch problems on websites thoroughly described on the gballard.net site mentioned above.

-Jason Simanek

Graeme Gill
2010-03-03 20:22:13 UTC (about 14 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

You assign the sRGB profile. That is equivalent to un-setting the color profile.

If it actually does this, it's being highly un-intuitive. Assigning an sRGB profile would normally be expected to tag a file with sRGB, not at all the same thing as having no assigned profile.

Graeme Gill.

Sven Neumann
2010-03-03 20:30:49 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 13:19 -0600, Jason Simanek wrote:

Sven says:

You assign the sRGB profile.
That is equivalent to un-setting the color profile.

That's not true in my experience. Yes, sRGB should be as good as NOT having a profile since sRGB is the ASSUMED color space on most computersy. But Gimp still adds a color profile to the image: an sRGB color profile.

That would be a bug then. The intention of the lcms plug-in is that it deletes the "icc-profile" parasite if you assign the built-in sRGB profile. From a quick look at the code, I'd say that this is indeed what the plug-in is doing. What makes you think that the parasite would still be set?

Sven

Sven Neumann
2010-03-03 20:42:09 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 06:22 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

If it actually does this, it's being highly un-intuitive. Assigning an sRGB profile would normally be expected to tag a file with sRGB, not at all the same thing as having no assigned profile.

Untagged files are assumed to be sRGB. That is the assumption that the GIMP code makes all over the place. Actually most parts of GIMP (basically everything except the display code) don't care about the color profile at all and will assume sRGB no matter what profile is attached. It is thus recommended to convert all images to sRGB during the import into GIMP. This is surely far from ideal, but that's the current situation and it is not likely to change before everything is fully ported to GEGL.

Sven

yahvuu
2010-03-03 22:46:23 UTC (about 14 years ago)

Hi all,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Untagged files are assumed to be sRGB. That is the assumption that the GIMP code makes all over the place. Actually most parts of GIMP (basically everything except the display code) don't care about the color profile at all and will assume sRGB no matter what profile is attached. It is thus recommended to convert all images to sRGB during the import into GIMP.

This means that color management is simply incomplete or is something worse happening?

I'm asking because last year, about same time [1], you wrote:

Well, choosing a working profile other than sRGB is totally unsupported and will definitely lead to bad results.

I would call it useful partial support of color management if i can open an AdobeRGB file and apply, say, curves and gaussian blur and save the file with the color profile. In any case, the displayed image is correct and matches the saved image.

In contrast, the color selectors might be displaying wrong colors and pasting might auto-assign a wrong profile to new bitmaps. The layer modes and color tools like Hue-Saturation change their characteristics slightly according to the working space, but that's unavoidable with 8-bit processing anyway.

This is my understanding of the current state of color management. If something qualitatively different is happening, can you please give an example of how results might get deteriorated?

regards, yahvuu

[1] http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2009-February/021598.html

Sven Neumann
2010-03-03 23:25:05 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 22:46 +0100, yahvuu wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

Untagged files are assumed to be sRGB. That is the assumption that the GIMP code makes all over the place. Actually most parts of GIMP (basically everything except the display code) don't care about the color profile at all and will assume sRGB no matter what profile is attached. It is thus recommended to convert all images to sRGB during the import into GIMP.

This means that color management is simply incomplete or is something worse happening?

It is incomplete.

I'm asking because last year, about same time [1], you wrote:

Well, choosing a working profile other than sRGB is totally unsupported and will definitely lead to bad results.

I would call it useful partial support of color management if i can open an AdobeRGB file and apply, say, curves and gaussian blur and save the file with the color profile. In any case, the displayed image is correct and matches the saved image.

If you don't mind that the Curves and Blur operations both make the assumption that they'd be working in sRGB, then that's fine. For a lot of operations it probably doesn't matter that much.

Sven

Jason Simanek
2010-03-03 23:33:29 UTC (about 14 years ago)

Below is a response I wrote, but accidentally only sent to Sven. -JS

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 06:22 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

Untagged files are assumed to be sRGB [. . .] This is surely far from ideal, but that's the current situation and it is not likely to change before everything is fully ported to GEGL.

I agree with Graeme. I will have to check if what you are saying is true. I don't actually believe that I tried that because what you described as the result of an action that is titled 'Assign Color Profile' doesn't make any sense. That's pretty much lying to the user and assuming the difference is irrelevant. Not to mention, if that function was properly titled I wouldn't have started this conversation.

I understand that color management is complicated and probably not worth completely implementing until Gimp fully employs GEGL, but I think changing the menu so that

File > Image > Mode > Assign Color Profile > sRGB ACTUALLY applies the selected sRGB color profile to the image

and something like File > Image > Mode > Remove Color Profile would discard any color profile associated with the image

would be a simple change that would be a huge improvement to Gimp's user interface.

Thanks for pointing this behavior out.

-Jason Simanek

Sven Neumann
2010-03-04 09:13:58 UTC (about 14 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 16:33 -0600, Jason Simanek wrote:

I understand that color management is complicated and probably not worth completely implementing until Gimp fully employs GEGL, but I think changing the menu so that

File > Image > Mode > Assign Color Profile > sRGB ACTUALLY applies the selected sRGB color profile to the image

and something like File > Image > Mode > Remove Color Profile would discard any color profile associated with the image

would be a simple change that would be a huge improvement to Gimp's user interface.

It's not that simple though. The assumption that no profile means sRGB is made in many more places. The Image Properties dialog for example will show you "sRGB built-in" for an image that has no profile attached.

The current behavior was proposed and accepted on this mailing-list before color management was added to GIMP. Of course it can be changed now, but such a change needs a complete proposal then that covers all places that are affected by it.

The point of the current behavior is that you need to make an assumption if no profile is attached to an image. Otherwise you could not even display this image. Without a color profile or an assumption about the meaning of the RGB values it's just numbers.

Sven

Jason Simanek
2010-03-04 15:13:07 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 03/04/2010 02:14 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:

The point of the current behavior is that you need to make an assumption if no profile is attached to an image. Otherwise you could not even display this image. Without a color profile or an assumption about the meaning of the RGB values it's just numbers.

It's really unfortunate that the one color space that Gimp actually uses is sRGB, which has a fairly limited gamut (as I understand it). Of course, since it's the default color space of computer displays, sRGB makes perfect historical sense. But if it were instead something like Adobe RGB, Gimp would probably be pretty respectable as long as it color managed the transition from whatever original color space an image was in to the native wide-gamut RGB. And the export would work the same. In that situation the wide-gamut RGB would most likely be able to preserve all/most existing color variations in any image.

Sven, thanks for explaining the reality of color management in Gimp. Is somebody on the team already working on this or in this direction? Is there anything a non-programmer can do to contribute to this color management problem? Or is it just a matter of waiting for the developers to move all of Gimp over to GEGL's way of doing things?

-Jason Simanek

Omari Stephens
2010-03-04 18:47:54 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 03/04/2010 02:13 PM, Jason Simanek wrote:

On 03/04/2010 02:14 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:

It's really unfortunate that the one color space that Gimp actually uses is sRGB, which has a fairly limited gamut (as I understand it). Of course, since it's the default color space of computer displays, sRGB makes perfect historical sense. But if it were instead something like Adobe RGB, Gimp would probably be pretty respectable as long as it color managed the transition from whatever original color space an image was in to the native wide-gamut RGB. And the export would work the same. In that situation the wide-gamut RGB would most likely be able to preserve all/most existing color variations in any image.

Sven, thanks for explaining the reality of color management in Gimp. Is somebody on the team already working on this or in this direction? Is there anything a non-programmer can do to contribute to this color management problem? Or is it just a matter of waiting for the developers to move all of Gimp over to GEGL's way of doing things?

I am currently working on improving color management in GIMP. If you would like to follow along, CC yourself on https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=608961 . I need to rev the spec, as I'm working off off a version of it that's a product of what I started with as well as discussions that happened after I originally wrote it.

As mentioned, I also discussed the spec here on the mailing list; see the thread "GIMP color-management spec and further discussion" which I started on 7 Feb 2010. I'm surprised that nobody referred to that spec or that prior discussion before now.

Finally, yahvuu created a nice spec for color management UI/UX. IMO, it's too ambitious for the first implementation, and I'd like to get something in that's basic but fully-functional, and covers usecases we don't support right now. So I will be implementing my spec, and once that basic functionality is in place, I'll look more closely at his spec.

Among the changes that I plan to make, which are pertinent to what's been discussed so far:
- The implicit assumption that untagged images use sRGB will be made explicit

Planned changes that aren't part of the spec: - I hope to make more (if not all) of the small previews color-managed - With any luck, I will get the sRGB profiles (2x3kB) included as part of the GIMP distribution, which will allow us to change how options are named — the user will trivially be able to embed an actual sRGB profile in addition to whatever they can do now.

If you have questions, let me know --xsdg

Patrick Horgan
2010-03-05 00:58:36 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 03/03/10 11:19, Jason Simanek wrote:

...elision by patrick
Gballard doesn't mention that Firefox, when its color management is enabled, actually does website color management correctly, since it applies color profiles to both images and HMTL/CSS-defined colors. But that really doesn't affect the discussion as it pertains to Gimp. And besides, Firefox's color management is not enabled by default.

Since 3.5 it's enabled by default.

That's not true in my experience. Yes, sRGB should be as good as NOT having a profile since sRGB is the ASSUMED color space on most computersy. But Gimp still adds a color profile to the image: an sRGB color profile. This still causes all of the color mismatch problems on websites thoroughly described on the gballard.net site mentioned above.

Now I'm confused I thought gballard said the opposite.

Patrick

Jason Simanek
2010-03-05 06:22:26 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 03/04/2010 05:58 PM, Patrick Horgan wrote:

On 03/03/10 11:19, Jason Simanek wrote:

Now I'm confused I thought gballard said the opposite.

Here's how it works:

1 Web Browsers That Don't Support Color Management With these browsers images that do or don't include color profiles is irrelevant because they can't do anything with them anyway. The colors are just displayed as whatever RGB color space is available, most likely some form of unmanaged sRGB.

2 Safari (Browsers that ONLY color manage images with color profiles, not colors defined in HTML or CSS)
If a color profile is included with an image Safari uses color management to adjust the colors to the computer's display color space. If a color profile is not included it acts like #1. Also, as far as colors defined in HTML and CSS, it acts like #1.

3 Firefox 3.2+/3.5+ by default (Browsers that color manage images with color profiles. Images without color profiles are also managed assuming the sRGB color profile. PLUS: Colors defined in HTML and CSS are managed with assuming the sRGB color profile.

What this means for web designers/developers:

A #1 isn't a problem unless you want color managed photos that look beautiful on your website. Otherwise, #1 is the way web browsers have generally worked until recently.

B #2 is the wrong way to do color management on the web. It's a nice effort and photos certainly look beautiful, but this approach causes big problems for web designers that want to use images for page elements that are intended to exactly match and blend with colors on the web page that are defined in HTML or CSS. This approach forces web developers to NEVER include color profiles on images that are part of a website's design, otherwise the page elements won't match the colors defined in HTML/CSS. At least not in Safari. It'll look perfect everywhere else.

C #3 is the right way to do color management. It makes color profiled photographs look as close to the creator's intentions as possible on any computer system that is color managed. But it also allows web designers to use color management to make their page element images look as good as intended while still matching the HTML/CSS colors that are also part of the web page.

Thanks to browser type #2 I can only use color profiles on images that are not intended to be a part of the web site's design. If I do include color profiles on those images, every time I bring up the site in Safari it will look like my page elements don't match the flat colors defined in my site's HTML/CSS.

So the color mismatch I'm concerned about really only happens in Safari, but mismatches like that are not acceptable.

Did that resolve your confusion? Or just add to it?

-Jason Simanek

Patrick Horgan
2010-03-06 09:49:20 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 04/03/10 21:22, Jason Simanek wrote:

... elision by patrick...
Thanks to browser type #2 I can only use color profiles on images that are not intended to be a part of the web site's design. If I do include color profiles on those images, every time I bring up the site in Safari it will look like my page elements don't match the flat colors defined in my site's HTML/CSS.

So the color mismatch I'm concerned about really only happens in Safari, but mismatches like that are not acceptable.

Did that resolve your confusion? Or just add to it?

No, now I get it completely. If it's a situation where you want managed and unmanaged to match, Safari is your enemy. Thanks!

Patrick